Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vikings11_27 is offline Pro-Bowler

HUTCHINSON 06 CAP NUMBER EXCEEDS 13M (New Version-GOOD NEWS)

HUTCHINSON '06 CAP NUMBER EXCEEDS $13 MILLION

Pardon us if the above headline looks like something that appeared on the site on Sunday, but we need to clear things up regarding the terms of the offer sheet signed by guard Steve Hutchinson with the Minnesota Vikings.

We reported on Sunday that the seven-year, $49 million deal carries a $13 million cap number for 2006. Such a maneuver isn't out of character for the Vikings, who have chewed up significant cap surpluses in the recent past by signing free agents to deals that carry big cap numbers in the first year.

In Hutchinson's case, the large cap number also is intended to deter the Seahawks from matching the deal.

There's at least one report, however, that the cap number is only $8.5 million. Factoring in Hutchinson's transition tender of $6.391 million, the additional cap charge in 2006 if the Seahawks match the deal would be barely $2.1 million.

So we spent some time today confirming that, indeed, the cap number is more than $13 million. And we're 100 percent sure of it.

Besides, it fits with the team's past practices, and it makes sense in light of the Vikings' desire to dissuade the Seahawks from exercising their right of first refusal on Hutchinson.

Prophet Guest

Re: HUTCHINSON 06 CAP NUMBER EXCEEDS 13M (New Version-GOOD NEWS)

"vikings11_27" wrote:

Pardon us if the above headline looks like something that appeared on the site on Sunday, but we need to clear things up regarding the terms of the offer sheet signed by guard Steve Hutchinson with the Minnesota Vikings.

We reported on Sunday that the seven-year, $49 million deal carries a $13 million cap number for 2006. Such a maneuver isn't out of character for the Vikings, who have chewed up significant cap surpluses in the recent past by signing free agents to deals that carry big cap numbers in the first year.

In Hutchinson's case, the large cap number also is intended to deter the Seahawks from matching the deal.

There's at least one report, however, that the cap number is only $8.5 million. Factoring in Hutchinson's transition tender of $6.391 million, the additional cap charge in 2006 if the Seahawks match the deal would be barely $2.1 million.

So we spent some time today confirming that, indeed, the cap number is more than $13 million. And we're 100 percent sure of it.

Besides, it fits with the team's past practices, and it makes sense in light of the Vikings' desire to dissuade the Seahawks from exercising their right of first refusal on Hutchinson.
    Good news. 100% sure of the cap being more than $13M. I'm guessing this is from Mike Florio's website.

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"Prophet" wrote:
    "vikings11_27" wrote:

Good news. 100% sure of the cap being more than $13M. I'm guessing this is from Mike Florio's website.
    that is very good news

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

ifs from profootballtalk.com

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Sounds good to me....

Mr. Hutchinson, if everything looks good, and you want to become a member of the Minnesota Vikings.

Please sign here.. :evil3:

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

That was still confusing for them trying to clearify things.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

So does this mean that restructuring a few contracts won't help the Seahawks situation much?

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Can Alexander redo his contract to get him to stay around.

I think this comes down to how offended the Seahawks are and how badly they want to do the deal.

Since this is business, I say they make it work. If they take him up on it, it hits them this year and they will also be better off next year for it, just like us.

Devil's Advocate has left the forum.

Bye

they would still have to sign a WR, a CB and possibly a safety. Plus the need money to sign draft picks, so i dont think they can afford to match

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Good news? It's the same $13 mil I heard yesterday. This is the first I heard of the $8.5 mil.

Still the cap hit to Seattle is $6.6 mil & they could swallow that.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast