Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
    BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

Re: Hutch decision will be delayed

"PackSux!" wrote:
    "BBQ Platypus" wrote:
    I think this is just a delaying tactic by the Seahawks to try to minimize the potential benefit of this offseason...y'know, kinda like "Screw you! If you get Hutchinson, you won't have time to get anyone else, 'cuz you'll be too busy with arbitration! Nyah!"

it works that way for both teams as well, but at least seattle is bringing players in and signing some of them. We on the other hand have stopped doing anything
    For the love of God, front office! Sign Steve Neal or somebody so he can join him on our line!

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Yes i agree, we would still have room for neal under the cap so we should be pursuing him.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Sun, Mar. 19, 2006

[size=18px]Hutchinson deal could backfire[/size]

LEADING OFF WITH BOB SANSEVERE

Itemizing recent Vikings news:

Item: Arbitration will decide whether the Vikings can pry all-pro guard Steve Hutchinson out of Seattle.

I Think: The Vikings and Hutchinson's agent thought it was clever to put a clause in Hutchinson's offer sheet that mandates the Seahawks guarantee the entire seven-year, $49 million deal if he's not their highest-paid offensive lineman. The Vikings and the agent knew Seattle offensive tackle Walter Jones makes more money and figured the Seahawks wouldn't pay $49 million to keep Hutchinson. What they didn't figure on was the Seahawks challenging the clause and tying up cap dollars until a ruling is made. This could turn into an embarrassing blunder.

Item: In Daunte Culpepper's e-mail to the media after his trade to Miami, he says, "I wish the best for the Vikings' organization as they go forward under the new ownership group and coaching staff."

I Think: If Culpepper had been that gracious all along, he might still be a Viking. Instead, he orchestrated a trade by being obstinate and combative. Now every Viking knows the quickest way out of Minnesota is to buck authority and complain about his contract.

Item: The Vikings sign Chester Taylor and make him a starting running back for the first time in his four-year career.

I Think: Taylor was a fine addition. In Baltimore, he averaged 4.3 yards a carry. Impressive when you consider every defense the Ravens faced knew a run was coming. If Taylor gets 20 carries a game for the Vikings, and averages 4.3 yards a pop, he will gain nearly 1,400 yards this season.

Bob Sansevere can be reached at [email protected]

Shooter on vacation

Columnist Charley Walters is on vacation.

Hutchinson deal could backfire

I could quickly name off 10 or more members of PP.O who's opinion I would value alot more than Sansevere when it comes to anything related to the Vikings. If he was any kind of reporter, he would have mentioned the difference between having a Special Master and an Arbitrator involved at the very least.

if we don't get Hutch, we should definately sign Peterson. We may overpay a little for him...but oh well at that point. We will have a crapload of money left if we don't sign Hutch so we might as well overpay for a position that we need help at anyway.
    "We are Lions!!" - Achilles (from the movie Troy )

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I didn't see this item but saw it headlined in an earlier post. It comes from Pro-Football Talk...

[size=18px]Hutch Desperately Wants Out Of Seattle[/size]

[quote] An important point that the Seahawks should keep in mind as they continue to play chess with the Vikings regarding the offer sheet signed last Sunday by guard Steve Hutchinson is whether Hutchinson really wants to stay with the team.

As we hear it, Hutchinson desperately wants out. And not for any specific reason -- he just wants a change, and he wants it badly.

Yeah, the rules are the rules and football is a business. The Seahawks are entitled to match the offer sheet, and they likewise have every right to expect Hutchinson to show up for work for the next seven years without a stick stuck in his chewed-up steak chute.

But why in the world would the Seahawks pump $16 million into the pockets of someone who simply doesn't want to be there? It makes no sense to us, especially at a time when the CBA has been dramatically overhauled to remove the kind of leverage that teams used to have over players who decided to show their displeasure in various different ways.

Of course, Hutchinson doesn't strike us as the kind of guy who'd act that way. He hasn't, for example, made any public statements regarding his desire for a change. And we suspect that he'll say and do all of the right things if the 'Hawks match the offer and retain his rights.

But the fact that his heart isn't in it will manifest itself, we believe. Even if Hutchinson tries his best not to let it influence his ultimate performance and effort. Folks generally do better when they are where they want to be. Hutchinson doesn't want to be in Seattle anymore, and we think it would be a piss-poor investment of Paul Allen's money to give Hutch a big-ass golf tournament check for $16 million when he simply doesn't want to get the check from that team.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Exactly! Thank you i've been saying this the whole time. Hutch dosnt wanna play for them, so why does seattle keep this going. Obviously they dont wanna lose the best Gaurd in the NFL to another NFC team, or lose him period. But they need to realize, even if we retain him, will he become a problem? Will he hold out? blah blah blah, that right there leads me to beleive that he will land here.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

The KEY in the arbitration process should be this statement:

"...the league and the union amended the CBA. It now states that no team attempting to match an offer sheet for one of its transition players can be required by an escalator clause similar to Wolford's to pay that player more than what the offering team would pay him."
    The contract - as signed - does not require the Seahawks to pay Hutchinson MORE than the Vikings are offering...it only requires them to GUARANTEE the entire contract should he not be the highest paid O-lineman (Which he won't be). It's all really quite simple.

Seattle, knowing that this will NOT go in their favor, is simply trying to tie up Minnesota's money while THEY - and the rest of the NFL - clear out the best of the Free Agents...and it's working.

It's called "tit-for-tat", and we've been titted.

I will be honestly shocked if the arbitrator comes back with any ruling other than "Vikings win". Of course, I am not an expert on the entire CBA, so there may be provisions that apply that I am not aware of. But the one that Seattle seems to be hinging their hopes upon seems blatantly tranparent to me.

What baffles me most is the NFL's willingness to jump on the bandwagon on this one. It's almost as if Tagliabue and Company have already decided we belong in LA, and are doing all they can to prevent us from giving Minnesota any incentive to keep us.

Tagliabue offered KC a Superbowl to get a stadium deal done...what has he offered us?

Tagliabue has said that New Orleans will stay there (in the wake of Katrina)...when has he sttod firm on US?

It was stated this past season that Tagliabue had pretty much decided that LA was getting a franchise. It was hinted that the two up for grabs were the Saints and the Vikings. Looks like Tagliabue has narrowed his focus.

This entire arbitration process is a joke. Anyone capable of reading should have intuitively seen that the guarantee IS a principle term. There should be no need for any decision from "on high".

But, if you can hamstring the team with the most money to spend for the bulk of the prime Free Agency period, don't you stand a better chance of ensuring that that team doesn't bolster itself during said period? And, by doing so, don't you further prevent that team from possibly improving enough in the off season to challange the "Powers in the NFC"?

Remember when MLB tried to kill off the Twins? They went out and won a World Series...stopped MLB cold. The LAST thing Tagliabue and the LA-lovers in the NFL want to see is a Superbowl appearance by the Vikings...much less a win. Then who would they send to LA?

Caine

I would love a vikings move to Los angeles
    I live here so i could go to the games:P

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"smootbythefoot" wrote:
    I would love a vikings move to Los angeles
    I live here so i could go to the games:P
    :evil: NO! I live in Pennsylvania and would never want them to move closer. They're a Minnesota team and they should stay that way!

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Great post, some good info there. Like you I honestly beleive hes ours, and Seattle is doing what little they can to "damage" us.Like you said its working, we havnt signed anyone since the first 3. It sucks, but hey if we get Hutch imma be a happy man!

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast