Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

How should Vikes handle Phase 3 of free agency?

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re:How should Vikes handle Phase 3 of free agency?

At 6-4/325 lbs, Warren seems to be a good fit. Played all 16 games, had 35 tackles (2 sacks) last year.

NFL Stats - Warren
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

Backup OL should be a priority, since I don't trust Cook any farther than I could throw him

If the Vikes need to keep a FB they should be able to find a replacement for Tahi.

I'm not sure I would put much $$ into a DT until the ruling is passed down as the position has enough depth now. Also, anyone signing would wonder what will happen after the ruling, so I imagine they would want a good signing bonus.

A vet safety to compete would be nice, too.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

gagarr wrote:
    Backup OL should be a priority, since I don't trust Cook any farther than I could throw him

If the Vikes need to keep a FB they should be able to find a replacement for Tahi.

I'm not sure I would put much $$ into a DT until the ruling is passed down as the position has enough depth now. Also, anyone signing would wonder what will happen after the ruling, so I imagine they would want a good signing bonus.

Why wait for a ruling? A good NT is hard to find. If there is one out there looking for a job, snatch his ass and then cut him if you don't need him.

For the offensive line, what are peoples feelings on Radovich, Cooper, DeGeare, and Cook? How many do we keep? Do we really need to go outside this group? Are any of these guys any good? Has anything happened to any of them I'm not aware of?

My initial thought was that the Vikes would keep 3 backup guys (as I think they have in the past?), and that Cook is the odd man out if they all make it through injury free. I could be biased because I don't like Cook and do like Radovich. I guess Cook provides a little position flexibility as well. I will say I don't think being a draft pick offers DeGeare much advantage in my mind, although he might have an inside track at the practice squad.

Anyway, I guess we'll see.

Marrdro wrote:
    gagarr wrote:
    Why wait for a ruling? A good NT is hard to find. If there is one out there looking for a job, snatch his ass and then cut him if you don't need him.
    I think the problem is that a good nose tackle is going to want to play and is going to have offers fairly quickly. That good player will look at the Vikings and see two Pro Bowlers firmly entrenched in the starting lineup, with only a possibility of starting the first four weeks. In short, I think the Vikes would have to overpay for a quality player if they could get one at all. I hope I'm wrong though.

I think the more likely answer is to wait. The kind of player you'll get won't be a starter, but will be a decent player that can eat up some snaps for the first quarter of the season.

Gerard Warren has already been signed by the Patriots, by the way. Craig must have missed that as it was only a few days before his article.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Overlord wrote:
    For the offensive line, what are peoples feelings on Radovich, Cooper, DeGeare, and Cook?
    They all suck. Cut their asses and upgrade the entire unit.

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

Marrdro wrote:
    gagarr wrote:

Gotta agree with Marrdro, if we find a good NT sign him and work out the Cap implications, if there are any, when a new CBA is negotiated.

We have enough talent on the team that we can replace average to underperforming Veterans with high dollar contracts easily if we have to through the draft with picks in rounds 2-5 over the next few years. Grabing Grifen in round 4 may have saved us about 10M a year in the near future and when Favre leaves there is another 12M available, M Williams could get replaced easily and Kleinsausser is close to going...thats about 30M right there, and I am sure there are lots of other players that could be added....go grab a DT...don't feel guilty about it. :P
    None

bsmithberkley is offline Pro-Bowler

My personal FA shopping list looks like this.

1. Quality OLine depth!

2. Safety (If a quality safety becomes available we gotta grab him) it would let us get rid of Abdullah and Frampton and might even push M Williams into plying well again.

3. Punter, yeah I said it, get a new Punter! Easy way to improve special teams.

4. NT, yeah Marrdro got to me on that one. If we found a quality NT we could drop Guion and Evans. Don't discount the benifit of quality depth helping us firm up the 45 and 53 man rosters this year.

5. 3RD DOWN RB, A veteran 3rd down back, but, I doubt one becomes available (and we would probably also wind up cutting Reynaud if we did this so its not likely in my book as Reynaud does PR and KR duty as well)

6. FB, make that a quality FB. On my depth chart their is no room for Tahi, but a quality FB would force me to rethink things.

There will be a lot of players around the league cut for business reasons this year after a deep draft. A great year to go shopping.
    None

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

gagarr wrote:
    Depends on whether it is TJ doing the throwing ( 5-10 yds ) or the Noodle ( 15 yds ) :laugh:

Agree on improving the OL depth/backup as that is an area of concern. If we end up running the ball more this year, with the AD/Gerhart tandem, then more chance of wear and tear on the OL.
    Would also go for a NT to ease in or spell Pat if one became available. Unfortunately he won't last forever and I'd prefer we find his successor sooner rather than later.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Overlord wrote:
    For the offensive line, what are peoples feelings on Radovich, Cooper, DeGeare, and Cook? How many do we keep? Do we really need to go outside this group? Are any of these guys any good? Has anything happened to any of them I'm not aware of?

My initial thought was that the Vikes would keep 3 backup guys (as I think they have in the past?), and that Cook is the odd man out if they all make it through injury free. I could be biased because I don't like Cook and do like Radovich. I guess Cook provides a little position flexibility as well. I will say I don't think being a draft pick offers DeGeare much advantage in my mind, although he might have an inside track at the practice squad.

Anyway, I guess we'll see.

Marrdro wrote:
    gagarr wrote:
    I think the problem is that a good nose tackle is going to want to play and is going to have offers fairly quickly. That good player will look at the Vikings and see two Pro Bowlers firmly entrenched in the starting lineup, with only a possibility of starting the first four weeks. In short, I think the Vikes would have to overpay for a quality player if they could get one at all. I hope I'm wrong though.

I think the more likely answer is to wait. The kind of player you'll get won't be a starter, but will be a decent player that can eat up some snaps for the first quarter of the season.

Gerard Warren has already been signed by the Patriots, by the way. Craig must have missed that as it was only a few days before his article.
    Damn, I didn't see anything on a signing when I was looking at his stats and playing time.

On a side note......

That good player will look at the Vikings and see two Pro Bowlers firmly entrenched in the starting lineup, with only a possibility of starting the first four weeks. In short, I think the Vikes would have to overpay for a quality player if they could get one at all. I hope I'm wrong though
    I think that player will see a aging Phat Pat who is getting reps off, those reps would then fall to him with him ultimately taking over the starting NT role next year.

Lets not forget, in most cases, we have seen this staff fix a hole in the roster with a cat coming off his first contract. Thats the kindof cat I hope they do sign. It will mean that they will have him for the long run and that breeds consistency, unlike trying to fix the problem with one year contracts they are giving to the guys currently on the roster.

Besides, I love it when they bring in a guy no one has never heard of. Everyone instantly starts hating on him and it gives me someone else to stick up for.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast