Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: How did the Vikings solve the Jared Allen puzzle?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    I think once the draft day buzz settles, and we are relegated back to an offseason of upcoming OTA's (i.e. the secondary slow time of year) this story line will resurface.
    It will get propogated through the preseason and come regular season time, the Vikings FO will be looked on very favorably throughout the media for how this was all handled.

I can see the angle: "The Vikes knew who they wanted at DE all along, bided their time, didn't overpay for other "high profile" DEs, and wound up getting the best of the bunch with only giving up a 1st and 2 3rds for a franchise player."

The sock puppets will repeat this stuff for every pre-game and in-game commentary.
    Excellent post my friend.
    Especially the Sock Puppet part.

;D

Another thing that amazes me is that even though the front office knew what they were doing (and didn't bother to tell us the fans) and has continually shown they know what they are doing, we still doubt them.

a. How many times did we hear that because they let Smith go we wouldn't have any leverage with respect to signing a good FA?
    (Enter Madieu Williams)
    b. How many times/threads did we have from people on hear about how we weren't doing anything in FA to address the DE position because the other teams were stealing the best DE's before they got here?
    (All the while we weren't even interested).
    c.
    During the rush to finally sign him once the rabitt was out of the hat, how many naysayers doubted the FO's ability to get it done "Because our history shows us we will screw it up"?

Sometimes I think Vikings fans are more fickle than Redskins or Cowboys fans.

;D
    I'll add d. How many Vikings fans thought the front office would only aquire Allen through signiing an offer sheet that gives up 2 future first round draft choices and would require pulling out the poison pill again?
    Oh yee of little faith. LOL!
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I have a hard time believing that all through FA, they had already determined they would trade for Allen.
    They pursued a few different Ends, however we weren't their first visit, so we never got a chance to meet them (Smith, Kearse, etc.)
    That would expain why the Vikings made sure they were Allen's first trip, and not Tampa.

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    I have a hard time believing that all through FA, they had already determined they would trade for Allen.
    They pursued a few different Ends, however we weren't their first visit, so we never got a chance to meet them (Smith, Kearse, etc.)
    That would expain why the Vikings made sure they were Allen's first trip, and not Tampa.
    I agree i had the same feeling!!
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Look at the timeline and then look at how much they went through to get him.

I for one don't doubt it for a second that he was thier target the whole time.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    I think once the draft day buzz settles, and we are relegated back to an offseason of upcoming OTA's (i.e. the secondary slow time of year) this story line will resurface.
    It will get propogated through the preseason and come regular season time, the Vikings FO will be looked on very favorably throughout the media for how this was all handled.

I can see the angle: "The Vikes knew who they wanted at DE all along, bided their time, didn't overpay for other "high profile" DEs, and wound up getting the best of the bunch with only giving up a 1st and 2 3rds for a franchise player."

The sock puppets will repeat this stuff for every pre-game and in-game commentary.
    Excellent post my friend.
    Especially the Sock Puppet part.

;D

Another thing that amazes me is that even though the front office knew what they were doing (and didn't bother to tell us the fans) and has continually shown they know what they are doing, we still doubt them.

a. How many times did we hear that because they let Smith go we wouldn't have any leverage with respect to signing a good FA?
    (Enter Madieu Williams)
    b. How many times/threads did we have from people on hear about how we weren't doing anything in FA to address the DE position because the other teams were stealing the best DE's before they got here?
    (All the while we weren't even interested).
    c.
    During the rush to finally sign him once the rabitt was out of the hat, how many naysayers doubted the FO's ability to get it done "Because our history shows us we will screw it up"?

Sometimes I think Vikings fans are more fickle than Redskins or Cowboys fans.

;D
    I'll add d. How many Vikings fans thought the front office would only aquire Allen through signiing an offer sheet that gives up 2 future first round draft choices and would require pulling out the poison pill again?
    Oh yee of little faith. LOL!
    You my friend are wise beyond your years.....

Just checked the spread sheet by the way and you can't move up anymore.
    Probably from my efforts to educate I am sure.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:

so essentially your saying that they were holding out in hopes of trading for Allen?
    That would be extremely stupid on their part.
    what if Allen decides to resign for less?
    What if another team trades for him? That would mean they threw away any chance of a quality DE for nothing.

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:

so essentially your saying that they were holding out in hopes of trading for Allen?
    What if another team trades for him? That would mean they threw away any chance of a quality DE for nothing.
    They would have drafted a DE and not paid those other guys the money they got from other teams.

Face it my friends, with the exception of (I can't even remember his name now) whats his face that played LDE I wouldn't have been happy with any of them especially Smith.

He got 2 fricken sacks last year.

Again, They trageted Allen as thier FA.
    If they didn't get him they would have drafted Merling, Groves, Langford, Robertson etc. and wouldn't have paid those other guys cause they weren't worth the money.

Chazz is online now Coordinator

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:

They would have drafted a DE and not paid those other guys the money they got from other teams.

Face it my friends, with the exception of (I can't even remember his name now) whats his face that played LDE I wouldn't have been happy with any of them especially Smith.

If they didn't get him they would have drafted Merling, Groves, Langford, Robertson etc. and wouldn't have paid those other guys cause they weren't worth the money.

You can't measure a DE on just his sack total my friend. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

With all the something special going on here, offering him
    $74 million with a $31 million guarantee didn't hurt either.

WWBGD

"Chazz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    [quote author=i_bleed_purple link=topic=44397.msg768649#msg768649 date=1209138927]

You can't measure a DE on just his sack total my friend. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Well played my friend.
    Well played indeed.
    ;D

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast