Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: How did the Vikings solve the Jared Allen puzzle?

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

...Childress gives Spielman the green light...
    Marr has some 'splaining to do.

:P
    I don't think so... remember, the coach has to identify the needs of the team.
    If the coach believes he needs WR, QB, DE, DT, and OT and the FO goes we can get a stud DE but it'll cost so much we can't address any other need, the coach is going to have to sign up to that.
    Due to the salary cap restrictions, teams can only sign so much talent.
    Obviously the coach needs to have a say in which positions are addressed and whether the team goes with 1 or 2 studs, 4 or 5 A players, or 10 B level players to fill holes on the team.
    At least someone gets it.
    ;D

As for some of you....Not so much.
    ;D

Look, you all forget that I acknowledge that the Chiller has a say in this process.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Prophet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:

...Childress gives Spielman the green light...
    Marr has some 'splaining to do.

:P
    I don't think so... remember, the coach has to identify the needs of the team.
    If the coach believes he needs WR, QB, DE, DT, and OT and the FO goes we can get a stud DE but it'll cost so much we can't address any other need, the coach is going to have to sign up to that.
    Due to the salary cap restrictions, teams can only sign so much talent.
    Obviously the coach needs to have a say in which positions are addressed and whether the team goes with 1 or 2 studs, 4 or 5 A players, or 10 B level players to fill holes on the team.
    Dammit P&G, you ruined it for me. I wanted to get Marrdro all worked up.

Perhaps you missed the "
    :P "
    gol 'darnit it.
    I was hoping for the 'old marr' to surface.
    You guys are cracking me up today thats for sure.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

The Vikings and Buccaneers want to arrange a visit for Allen. The Buccaneers want Allen in Tampa on the 17th. Then, Allen would head to Minnesota on the 20th.

But before anything gets finalized, Brzezinski and Spielman call Harris and tell him they want to host Allen first. Intrigued by the Vikings after a few conversations with Childress, Allen agrees to fly to Minnesota first.
    Doh... Tampa's plans are foiled by our front office.
    Too bad.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Excellent read my friend.
    A few comments (of course).
    ;D

After doing some of his own research, Allen gives Harris a preliminary list of teams, based on schemes, coaches and rosters. The Vikings are among the teams that jump out because of coach Brad Childress and a pair of players.
    Funny how all of you have ignored this part of the quote.
    Were are all the yutz's who think FA won't come here because of our coaches?
    ;D

Free agency opens on Feb. 29, and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the first team to contact Harris. Because Allen hasn't signed his $8.8 million franchise tender, he is technically a free agent, albeit one with a scarlet letter on his chest. The Philadelphia Eagles and Jacksonville Jaguars also contact Harris before the Vikings enter the mix............

........... When the dust settles a bit, Vikings pro personnel director George Paton and football administration director Dave Blando get on the phone with Harris, with whom they were both familiar.
    Anyone else wonder why we didn't land any of the other DE's that you were all whimpering about?

When the dust settles a bit, Vikings pro personnel director George Paton and football administration director Dave Blando get on the phone with Harris, with whom they were both familiar.

Harris conveys to Blando that Allen had mentioned the Vikings as a possibility.
    Studwell (Collegiate) and Paton (Pro) don't get enough props out of you guys.

The Buccaneers want Allen in Tampa on the 17th. Then, Allen would head to Minnesota on the 20th.

But before anything gets finalized, Brzezinski and Spielman call Harris and tell him they want to host Allen first. Intrigued by the Vikings after a few conversations with Childress, Allen agrees to fly to Minnesota first.
    Yet again, Mr. Personality comes through.
    Come on guys, you gotta start warming up to the ole bald bird pretty soon.
    ;D

"It was unique not only because of all the moving parts but because of the teamwork in the organization," Spielman says. "One person couldn't do all that.

"This makes me feel like there's something special going on here."
    Maybe I will have to relent on my endevours to get a GM in place instead of that damn Triangle of authority.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Very interesting read.
    I like how they walk through the process with a fair amount detail and timeline.

There's no doubt that the Chiller is a major part of the decision on any personnel, but it is clearly a team of guys that make it happen.

Shortly thereafter, after getting apprised of the situation by Paton, Spielman gauges Childress' interest.

"I don't want to bring in a player the coach wasn't on board with," Spielman says. "I asked him, 'Is this worth looking at or should we let it go by?' "

Childress gives Spielman the green light.
    "Brad is one of the best coaches I've been around, as far as calling and researching players," Spielman says.
    Always like to hear this from the owner:

Allen also watches film with Dunbar and Frazier, then he meets Wilf, who immediately tells the defensive end, "We want to win championships."
    Yea baby with an (s).

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

This part actually choked me up a little.

then he meets Wilf, who immediately tells the defensive end, "We want to win championships."

"That's music to my ears," Allen says.

“What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

I think once the draft day buzz settles, and we are relegated back to an offseason of upcoming OTA's (i.e. the secondary slow time of year) this story line will resurface.
    It will get propogated through the preseason and come regular season time, the Vikings FO will be looked on very favorably throughout the media for how this was all handled.

I can see the angle: "The Vikes knew who they wanted at DE all along, bided their time, didn't overpay for other "high profile" DEs, and wound up getting the best of the bunch with only giving up a 1st and 2 3rds for a franchise player."

The sock puppets will repeat this stuff for every pre-game and in-game commentary.

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    I think once the draft day buzz settles, and we are relegated back to an offseason of upcoming OTA's (i.e. the secondary slow time of year) this story line will resurface.
    It will get propogated through the preseason and come regular season time, the Vikings FO will be looked on very favorably throughout the media for how this was all handled.

I can see the angle: "The Vikes knew who they wanted at DE all along, bided their time, didn't overpay for other "high profile" DEs, and wound up getting the best of the bunch with only giving up a 1st and 2 3rds for a franchise player."

The sock puppets will repeat this stuff for every pre-game and in-game commentary.
    Excellent post my friend.
    Especially the Sock Puppet part.
    ;D

Another thing that amazes me is that even though the front office knew what they were doing (and didn't bother to tell us the fans) and has continually shown they know what they are doing, we still doubt them.

a. How many times did we hear that because they let Smith go we wouldn't have any leverage with respect to signing a good FA?
    (Enter Madieu Williams)
    b. How many times/threads did we have from people on hear about how we weren't doing anything in FA to address the DE position because the other teams were stealing the best DE's before they got here?
    (All the while we weren't even interested).
    c.
    During the rush to finally sign him once the rabitt was out of the hat, how many naysayers doubted the FO's ability to get it done "Because our history shows us we will screw it up"?

Sometimes I think Vikings fans are more fickle than Redskins or Cowboys fans.
    ;D

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

hmmm.... maybe there's something more going on here with Allen....

Later that night, in his hotel room, Allen tells Harris: "There's something special going on here. I like this so far."

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:

Excellent post my friend.
    Especially the Sock Puppet part.
    ;D

Another thing that amazes me is that even though the front office knew what they were doing (and didn't bother to tell us the fans) and has continually shown they know what they are doing, we still doubt them.

a. How many times did we hear that because they let Smith go we wouldn't have any leverage with respect to signing a good FA?
    (Enter Madieu Williams)
    b. How many times/threads did we have from people on hear about how we weren't doing anything in FA to address the DE position because the other teams were stealing the best DE's before they got here?
    (All the while we weren't even interested).
    c.
    During the rush to finally sign him once the rabitt was out of the hat, how many naysayers doubted the FO's ability to get it done "Because our history shows us we will screw it up"?

Sometimes I think Vikings fans are more fickle than Redskins or Cowboys fans.
    ;D
    I'm just wondering, Why were the vikings going after Smith if they already contacted KC?
    I know we are very lucky now but i just know alot of people were bashing the FO when we didn't sign Smith
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast