Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Here's a new idea!

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "j" wrote:
    The Rams are wanting to trade out their number two pick so why don't we send them out 18th and 36th pick and take their number two.
    This would allow us to either get a top qb and solve our qb problem or Jason Smith and have a power house OT for our Right side.
    Imagine having Fat man, Hutch, John, Marcus Johnson, and then Jason Smith Our 0-line would be amazing.

http://www.kffl.com/team/34/nfl Here is the link! (4th one down)

We have the money to sign top player in draft why the hell don't we?
    Mostly because the top-10 picks are rarely worth the ludicrous money it takes to sign them.
    No one wants to be in the top-10, because it cripples your salary cap for years to come.
    Yeah that year we had the 7th pick was a real disater.
    :
    Top ten picks are only bad if you pick the wrong guy. If you get the right guy you get a future hall of famer. I think most GM's still covet early picks.
    You mean Troy Williamson?
    He sure was a real "disater".

Do you think the Raiders are happy about the $$$ they had to pay out for JaMarcus Russell?
    Robert Gallery?
    Darren McFadden?
    Notice the trend here?

What about the Lions with Roy Williams?
    Mike Williams?

There was an article sometime last year (I'll see if I can dig it up) about how being in the Top-10 tends to start a perpetuating cycle where so much cap money is committed to unproven rookies that the teams are unable to make other moves in FA to improve the team.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"SIUviking" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "j" wrote:
    The Rams are wanting to trade out their number two pick so why don't we send them out 18th and 36th pick and take their number two.
    This would allow us to either get a top qb and solve our qb problem or Jason Smith and have a power house OT for our Right side.
    Imagine having Fat man, Hutch, John, Marcus Johnson, and then Jason Smith Our 0-line would be amazing.

Mostly because the top-10 picks are rarely worth the ludicrous money it takes to sign them.
    No one wants to be in the top-10, because it cripples your salary cap for years to come.
    Is that something the league puts into effect or is there a way to stop it from being a huge burden to have a top 10 pick?
    There is a rookie wage scale, but I believe that is only for the non-1st-round picks.
    And it has no effect on bonus money.
    The #1 this year will look at Matt Ryan's contract from last year and want that.

=Z=

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "j" wrote:
    My bad 22nd and 54th!
    I was typing this while in class so I did it fast!
    No worries my friend.
    I make about 5 or 6 gaffs a day.

;D
    only 5 or 6?
    :P ;D

"Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "j" wrote:

:
    Top ten picks are only bad if you pick the wrong guy. If you get the right guy you get a future hall of famer. I think most GM's still covet early picks.

Do you think the Raiders are happy about the $$$ they had to pay out for JaMarcus Russell?
    Robert Gallery?
    Darren McFadden?
    Notice the trend here?

Mike Williams?

There was an article sometime last year (I'll see if I can dig it up) about how being in the Top-10 tends to start a perpetuating cycle where so much cap money is committed to unproven rookies that the teams are unable to make other moves in FA to improve the team.
    I can't find the original article that to which I was referring (si.com's search SUCKS), but here's a good one from the Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2008/04/25/top_of_nfl_draft_a_numbers_game/

For years, many teams have used a points chart to determine the value of each draft pick. The top pick had the highest total because it ensured a club would get the best player.

Yet more and more clubs are now altering their charts, so No. 1 is no longer No. 1.

"Based on the economics of the first pick, and the first few picks, I don't know [if the old chart] represents the accurate value, with the highest value being the highest pick," Dolphins vice president Bill Parcells said. "I'm of the opinion that the cost is a deterrent. We've put a lesser value on that."

Although Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Bruce Allen noted that his club does not utilize a point chart, he echoed Parcells's thoughts.

"If people are relying on that [chart], they're probably going to have a tough time [trading]," he said.
    And:

Now in Miami, Parcells said the Dolphins would have considered a trade for No. 1 but teams were interested only "if there was a fire sale."

In going through the top-pick process for a third time, Parcells noted that cutting down the margin of error as much as possible is more imperative than ever.

"What has changed is the economic consequences of making a bad selection at this position," he said. "It's a disastrous effect on your franchise. It's a restrictive economic situation that you get yourself into by committing the vast number of dollars to one player, but it is the system, and it's the system we live with right now and ultimately, you have to participate."
    And:

"I think there is some reluctance in the league to attempt to go to the No. 1 pick because of economic consequences. I would even say picks in the top six or seven can have disastrous economic consequences that can set a franchise back for years," Parcells said. "We've seen that, and seen it recently."
    The Tuna agrees with me!

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "j" wrote:
    My bad 22nd and 54th!
    No worries My Sexy Little Pixie.

;D
    only 5 or 6?

LOL, yea, thats a good day.
    We all know I have bad days..... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "j" wrote:
    My bad 22nd and 54th!

;D
    only 5 or 6?

when we force old marrdro out of hibernation?

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "j" wrote:
    My bad 22nd and 54th!

;D
    only 5 or 6?

No comment on what I posted above?

=Z=

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "j" wrote:
    My bad 22nd and 54th!

;D
    only 5 or 6?

No comment on what I posted above?

=Z=
    I missed it. Had to take a break and do some work for a bit.
    I will get to ya..... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "j" wrote:
    My bad 22nd and 54th!

;D
    only 5 or 6?

when we force old marrdro out of hibernation?
    Sometimes.....that guy is a prick.
    ;D

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "jmcdon00" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "j" wrote:

:

Robert Gallery?
    Darren McFadden?
    Notice the trend here?

Mike Williams?

I can't find the original article that to which I was referring (si.com's search SUCKS), but here's a good one from the Boston Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2008/04/25/top_of_nfl_draft_a_numbers_game/

For years, many teams have used a points chart to determine the value of each draft pick. The top pick had the highest total because it ensured a club would get the best player.

Yet more and more clubs are now altering their charts, so No. 1 is no longer No. 1.

"Based on the economics of the first pick, and the first few picks, I don't know [if the old chart] represents the accurate value, with the highest value being the highest pick," Dolphins vice president Bill Parcells said. "I'm of the opinion that the cost is a deterrent. We've put a lesser value on that."

Although Tampa Bay Buccaneers general manager Bruce Allen noted that his club does not utilize a point chart, he echoed Parcells's thoughts.

"If people are relying on that [chart], they're probably going to have a tough time [trading]," he said.
    And:

Now in Miami, Parcells said the Dolphins would have considered a trade for No. 1 but teams were interested only "if there was a fire sale."

In going through the top-pick process for a third time, Parcells noted that cutting down the margin of error as much as possible is more imperative than ever.

"What has changed is the economic consequences of making a bad selection at this position," he said. "It's a disastrous effect on your franchise. It's a restrictive economic situation that you get yourself into by committing the vast number of dollars to one player, but it is the system, and it's the system we live with right now and ultimately, you have to participate."
    And:

"I think there is some reluctance in the league to attempt to go to the No. 1 pick because of economic consequences. I would even say picks in the top six or seven can have disastrous economic consequences that can set a franchise back for years," Parcells said. "We've seen that, and seen it recently."
    The Tuna agrees with me!

=Z=
    Thats some good stuff Z.

In fact, I think you will find "Alot" of people agree with you.
    I know I am glad we are now starting to pick at the bottom of the draft.

You can get the same type of player, at half the cost (sometimes 1/4 the cost) and at a hell of a lot less risk/impact to the team.

Prime example for me is Jamarcus and TJ.
    Even if both wind up being busts, what team has the longest ill effects?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast