Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: help me understand

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    As it was said earlier, Mock Drafts are rarely accurate.
    Usually there is some twist in the top 10 that ripples throughout the draft messing up most mock draft picks.
    Bingo.....

If anyone thinks that a mock draft, created by a yutz like me who has no insight or visibility into the workings of each and every warroom, is nothing more than a means to burn time until the season starts, then I feel sorry for them.

Yet some of them will play countless hours of Madden, putting teams together, checking rating & looking for that Super Bowl win.
    :P
    I don't think any of them actually do that seriously though.
    Nobody is that dumb.

Actually, looking back at some of the recent threads, I take that back.
    There are a few that might qualify.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: help me understand

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    Marr... aren't you the one who's always preaching about how the draft is a crapshoot and it doesn't matter where you pick, there is always hte possibility of getting a great player, or landing a bust?

Trading down in the first round just gets you a player of less value, nothing more, nothing less.
    Lets go back to the 2005 draft.
    Would you rather have Alex smith, who was obviously vauled the most, or a guy like Braylon Edwards (#3)
    or Shawn Merriman (#12)

If they staff have their eyes on a guy, and they think he'll be around 2 spots later, why not take him then?
    grab an extra mid round pick i the process.
    Your a fan of having lots of draft picks, You should be all over that trade.
    Not sure were you got that from.

I actually preach the opposite.

I believe that if you have good scouts and they do thier work and then the GM picks players that fit the scheme then the draft is a sound way to build a team.

Go find me anyplace on here that I said draft and crapshoot in the same sentence.

If a team does a accurate assesment of each player and then drafts true to that value chart, then they should have several players graded out as good value at 17.

Spielman, in a scout article, actually says they not only have a value board that goes vertically, but they grade it out horizontally as well and they never give two players from the same position (i.e. OL) the same grade.
    In fact the article states that Spielman has 17 values that he grades players on to ensure that he has them in the right positions.

Anyway, long story short, the draft is not a crap shoot if you have a good organization that does its job correctly.
    I think we have that staff in place and they will take a player at 17 or possibly higher (no moving down) in the first round and expect that they will move up and down in the later rounds as they did last year as they target the players they have on thier value board.

Edit.
    Does it really matter what guy I have valued were?
    I would have taken Edwards at that point based on my value board.
    I hate taking QB in the first round, however, again, what the hell does my opinion matter.
    I'm not making the picks am I.

;D

Hell, I only need to go as far back as today............

"Marrdro" wrote:

Go find me anyplace on here that I said draft and crapshoot in the same sentence.

What do I win Marr?
    My unending admiration my friend.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345