Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Benet is offline Star Spokesman

Re: HAWKS WILL MATCH MOST OF OFFER SHEET

It's got nothing to do with Seattle wanting to renegotiate, or Hutchinson wanting to stick with the offer the Vikings made.

THE CONTRACT HUTCHINSON SIGNED CANNOT BE RENEGOTIATED BECAUSE ANY CONTRACT SIGNED CANNOT BE RENEGOTIATED INSIDE 12 MONTHS.

End of.

(Sorry for the Caps lock but I know I've stated this about a dozen times in as many threads).

The contract (apart from the "Poison Pill" provision) is not in question anymore. Hutchinson has signed a deal. The only question left is who will honour that contract. The Vikings or the Seahawks, and that will (more than likely at this rate) be decided by an Arbitrator, and will be dependent on whether the "Poison Pill" will be categorized as a "Principle Term" or not.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"Benet" wrote:
    (Sorry for the Caps lock but I know I've stated this about a dozen times in as many threads).
    I'm sorry, I missed those posts. Let me revise my post:

Even if he could renegotiate, Seatle would first have to match the Vikings offer, and what player is going to renegotiate out of a 7 year, $49 million, guaranteed deal. However, all of that is a moot point, and I don't know why I brought it up. :wink:

The arbitor is Seattle's only hope.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"josdin00" wrote:
    I'm sorry, I missed those posts. Let me revise my post:

Even if he could renegotiate, Seatle would first have to match the Vikings offer, and what player is going to renegotiate out of a 7 year, $49 million, guaranteed deal. However, all of that is a moot point, and I don't know why I brought it up. :wink:

The arbitor is Seattle's only hope.
    No worries mate, it wasn't primarily directed at you. I'm just tired after work and am not impressed with St. Patrick's Day. (This is why I did my drinking for the week on Tuesday night!)

But you're right, Seattle is going to take this to an Arbitrator and hope for a ruling in their favour. Otherwise Hutchinson will be gone.. TO US! :grin:

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Hutchinson's fate delayed
    Fri, 17 Mar 2006 13:39:25 -0800

Gregg Bell, of the Associated Press, reports the future fate of Seattle Seahawks transition free agent OG Steve Hutchinson will be decided by an arbitration process. That will delay the Sunday deadline, March 19, for the team to match an offer to Hutchinson by the Minnesota Vikings. The NFL Players Association said Friday, March 17, that the league has filed a claim on behalf of the Seahawks contending a clause in the offer sheet Hutchinson signed with the Vikings last weekend circumvents the league's labor contract. The clause in question would guarantee Hutchinson the entire contract sum if Hutchinson is not the team's highest-paid offensive lineman. NFL spokesman Michael Signora confirmed that the NFL had filed the case. Richard Berthelsen, general counsel for the NFLPA, said the union will argue against the Seahawks' and league's claims. "They say the clause circumvents our collective bargaining agreement. It is our belief that it does not," Berthelsen said. Berthelsen said the union's interpretation of the issue is that the clause is permitted by the CBA because it is a "principal term" of the agreement.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

Okay, so the request for arbitration came sooner than I thought...

This is good news. That means that the arbiter has 10 days from today to decide, instead of 10 days from Monday.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

This is more of the same, however there are some new notes.

Steve Hutchinson
    By Viking Update Staff

Date: Mar 18, 2006

The NFL has filed a grievance concerning the Vikings offer sheet to Seahawks guard Steve Hutchinson. It will be heard Monday morning, extending the Sunday deadline for Seattle to match the offer or let Hutchinson cash in with the Vikings.

If you thought that Steve Hutchinson’s arrival in Minnesota was going to be decided in seven days, guess again. The matter will be decided on Monday, as a special master determines whether the much-discussed poison pill put in the Vikings' offer sheet meets contract standards.

The arbitration hearing, scheduled for Monday morning in Philadelphia, will question whether the Seahawks merely have to match the “relative terms” of the contract – seven years, $49 million with $16 million in guaranteed money and $13 million vs. the 2006 salary cap – or the “principal terms” of the offer sheet. The latter involves being the highest paid offensive lineman with his team. Last April, the Seahawks signed left tackle Walter Jones to a seven-year, $54.5 million deal, which eclipses the Vikings offer to Hutchinson.

At the behest of the NFL, the case will be heard Monday by Stephen Burbank, a law professor at the University of Pennsylvania. The reason the Vikings organization isn’t being taken to task over the issue is that the clauses in question were proposed by Hutchinson’s agent Tom Condon – according to Seattle sources. The players association will argue in favor of the Vikings, citing precedent in 1993 when offensive lineman Will Wolford signed an offer sheet with the Colts. To show how far the NFL has come since then, the offer sheet was for three years and $7.65 million. Under the terms of the deal, it guaranteed that Wolford would be the highest-paid offensive player on the team. At the time, that was no problem for the Colts. But the Bills had QB Jim Kelly, who was earning twice that much. The NFL lost that case, which has NFLPA General Counsel Richard Berthelson convinced the Vikings will win.

For those expecting a final decision by Sunday, get used to the NFL of 2006 – it’s going to be delayed.

SATURDAY NOTES
    * The Vikings lost out on fullback William Henderson. He went back to the Packers and word out of G.B. is that the Packers gave him as much as $3 million in bonus money to stay.
    * Two days after failing a physical with the Raiders, former Vikings guard Toniu Fonoti signed on with Tampa Bay.
    * Michael Bennett found employment Friday, signing a two-year deal with the Saints. The contract includes a $1 million signing bonus and provides for as much as $1 million a year more if he reaches contract incentives. Bennett comes into training camp behind starter Deuce McAllister, who was taken four picks in front of Bennett in the 2001 draft.

Smoe news on when it will be held, and where. This looks very much in favor of the Vikings, so that is a good thing.

Monday, Monday..

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

This is probably old news, but on TA this morning Adam Schefter was discussing Seattle going strongly after 3 high profile players. John Abraham, Julian Peterson and Steve Hutchinson. He believes they will get 2 out of the 3 and with one of them being Hutchinson, even if they lose the arbitration and have to guarantee all of the money.

Just one dudes take, hope he's wrong.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112