Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Re: HAWKS WILL MATCH MOST OF OFFER SHEET

"singersp" wrote:
    "josdin00" wrote:
    A few years ago, the Bengals put a clause into all of their contracts that if you went to the media and bashed the team, you would have to forfiet part of your signing bonus. If the Bengals were trying to sign Burleson, and put that clause in, would you want the Vikings to have to match that? No. Who cares what the guy has to say to the paper?

Not every term of a contract has vital importance to the contracts worth, and the NFL has some pretty clear rules defining what has to be matched, and what doesn't. In this case, Seattle could try to claim that since the clause will have no financial impact on the contract if he signs with the Vikings, it does not help determine the value of the contract, and they shouldn't have to match it. The Vikings can turn around and say, no, Hutch wanted this, he wanted to be the higest paid player on the OL. That is what gives this contract it's value, it should be matched. That's where the arbitrator comes in.
    The question is then, how long can this be tied up in arbitration?

That's a good chunk of the cap sitting out in "limbo".

Singer I remember reading that if it went to arbitration that it could take up to 10 days to get an answer. How accurate that was I do not know, but it would suck to have to wait that long and then lose him!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

"singersp" wrote:
    10 days.

It's been stated numerous times in this thread; the Arbitration lasts a maximum of 10 days from the moment the grievance is filed.

Mikecarter81 is offline Coordinator

Arbritrators main thing is to be fair. They are not suposed to pick sides. They won't be pro owner or pro player. I think what will happen is three possible things.
    1 they will rule in the vikes favor and we get to keep hutch (Yeah)
    2 Seattle wins and they get to keep him. (boo)
    3 This is what I think is most likely they will let us keep him, but it will cost us a couple draft picks. This would dissuade a team from signing people with a poisen pill and allow for fair player movement in the NFL. Both sides get hurt and get something in return.

If its true and Hutch wants to play in Minny, then I'm actually suprised the NFL players union hasn't stepped up on this issue yet.

Mike
    I am an avid Viking fan, but also am an avid restoration guy of vintage Mopar(Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth)B bodies

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

The $50 million offer sheet that Hutchinson signed Sunday with the Vikings includes a provision dictating that he be the highest paid offensive lineman on his team this season -- or the entire $50 million contract becomes fully guaranteed, according to someone who has seen the offer sheet. Well, Seattle offensive tackle Walter Jones averages $7.5 million per year, while Hutchinson's contract pays him an average of $7 million per year.
    With Jones and Hutch so close in contract money I find it interesting that they don't just pay Hutch 7.5 + one dollar this year and lock him up. It makes me wonder if Jones has a stipulation in his contract that he has to be the highest paid O lineman on the team and that is why they haven't been able to match the offer. :???:

WWBGD

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"Benet" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    10 days.

It's been stated numerous times in this thread; the Arbitration lasts a maximum of 10 days from the moment the grievance is filed.

You are correct sir. Max of 10 days.

Prophet Guest

"RK." wrote:
    The $50 million offer sheet that Hutchinson signed Sunday with the Vikings includes a provision dictating that he be the highest paid offensive lineman on his team this season -- or the entire $50 million contract becomes fully guaranteed, according to someone who has seen the offer sheet. Well, Seattle offensive tackle Walter Jones averages $7.5 million per year, while Hutchinson's contract pays him an average of $7 million per year.
    With Jones and Hutch so close in contract money I find it interesting that they don't just pay Hutch 7.5 + one dollar this year and lock him up. It makes me wonder if Jones has a stipulation in his contract that he has to be the highest paid O lineman on the team and that is why they haven't been able to match the offer. :???:
    They're just playing the game and spending the time, tack on the arbitration time and it's not funny anymore. As far as I know the poison pill is a new phenomena. I lke it.

Prophet Guest

Guess not. I looked up poison pill at wikipedia.org and I guess it's a common term. Finally, I learned something new today, got that out of the way.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"RK." wrote:
    Once Hutch hit the free agent market, the first offer he signed is the one they have to work with. Even if they wanted to do that, they would first have to match the Vikings' offer, and as soon as they did, that clause would kick in to make the whole contract guaranteed. Then, they could go to Hutch and say that they want to re-negotiate his contract. However, I don't think any player would renegotiate out of a 7 year guaranteed deal to make a little more in the short term. The Seahawks only hope is for the arbitor to rule in their favor.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"josdin00" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:
    Once Hutch hit the free agent market, the first offer he signed is the one they have to work with. Even if they wanted to do that, they would first have to match the Vikings' offer, and as soon as they did, that clause would kick in to make the whole contract guaranteed. Then, they could go to Hutch and say that they want to re-negotiate his contract. However, I don't think any player would renegotiate out of a 7 year guaranteed deal to make a little more in the short term. The Seahawks only hope is for the arbitor to rule in their favor.

Hey Josin ... been awhile since i've seen ya.

BTW, that damn Guinness is making me thirsty ... can't wait to go get one later. :drunken:

RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion

"josdin00" wrote:
    "RK." wrote:
    Ahhhhh that makes sense especially since it sounds like Hutch wants to move on from the Seachickens. :smile:

WWBGD

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast