Evaluating the top five quarterback prospects in the 2011 draft
    By Jon Gruden, ESPN.com

Jon Gruden's top 5 quarterback prospects (click on name for video):

Newton
    Mallett
    Gabbert
    Locker
    Dalton

He does not rank them in order of who he thinks will have the most success, but I have a hunch that it is in the order as above. One thing I do know is that Gruden seems to like all of them and he has Cam Newton ranked number one as revealed in this article:

Gruden: Newton was most impressive quarterback on QB Camp

I know that I have been skeptical to Cam Newton (see thread tittled Joe Webb Is Better Than Cam Newton) but that's mostly because I think too many people are way too high on the guy and not because I don't like him. I went to NFL.com and all of the experts have Newton going first. I think he is a great player who has a lot of things going for him. What I perhaps like the most is that he's a winner. One of the knocks on him is his character, but I get the opposite opinion from all the interviews I've seen.

Can he be a great player in the NFL? No doubt!
    Should he be the number one draft selection? Absolutely not!

Drafting a guy who has only played one year in a very different system than the pros is a huge reach when there are so many great players to choose from.
    I would definitely go for Alabama's Marcell Dareus if I was Carolina. They need to dramatically upgrade their D-line and Dareus is a beast!

Sport Science: Marcell Dareus (video)

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Gruden: Evaluating Top QB Draft Prospects

Of the 4 you left to choose from I took Mallet.

Newton has the physical tools but he has a long row to hoe when it comes to learning a pro offense and playing within it. He will be pressured to start way sooner than it will take for him to prepare himself for the next level and that is going to be the rub for him.

In reality he should be drafted in a later round and then developed for a few years before being put on the field. There are a few guys in the draft that could step in right away and play if they have the right staff and supporting cast around them and they are the ones who should really be drafted at the top IMHO.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Why did you leave Locker off of the list?

I've watched the Gruden thing several times as I have the NFLN thing (which is much better).

Both, together with all the other stuff I've read leads me to believe that Locker is the best fit for the Vikes if they can't get Gabbert.

I know he is one tough summmmmbbbbeyatch who seems to love the game more than he loves himself (like Newton does).

I did find it interesting that the one thing that everyone knocks Locker for, accuracy, was attributed (by Gruden from watching tape) to Locker being to damn tired at the end of games to make good throws.

I bet when he gets on a roster were he doesn't have to carry the team (as he did in college) he will be fresh enough to make better/more accurate throws.

Long story short, I sure the hell hope we get Locker somehow.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1094565
    I wanted to include him (hell, I probably even would have voted for him), but the poll only gives you a maximum of four options.

I did find it interesting that the one thing that everyone knocks Locker for, accuracy, was attributed (by Gruden from watching tape) to Locker being to damn tired at the end of games to make good throws.
    I'm definitely on the same boat as you on this one Marrdro! I've been thinking the same thing, not only about Jake Locker, but also other quarterbacks who likes to rush for yards. I think for example Michael Vick falls under the same category.

Both Vick and Jake Locker likes to take off running and they are not afraid to put their bodies at risk, taking a huge beating every game. Fortunately, Vick has learned to take better care of himself and has become more of a pocket passer then he was earlier in his career. His passer percentage is a clear reflection of that, going from 44 % in his first season, to 62 % in his last and having the best season of his life.

Not only does the scrambling quarterback get tired, but he also gets the adrenaline pumping and the pulse dramatically increases in a short time period after every run. Thus causing more erratic throws on the next play.

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1094623
    I wanted to include him (hell, I probably even would have voted for him), but the poll only gives you a maximum of four options.
    My apologies my friend. I shouldn't have complained. I haven't even figured out how to make the new poll thing work.

I'm definitely on the same boat as you on this one Marrdro! I've been thinking the same thing, not only about Jake Locker, but also other quarterbacks who likes to rush for yards. I think for example Michael Vick falls under the same category.

Both Vick and Jake Locker likes to take off running and they are not afraid to put their bodies at risk, taking a huge beating every game. Fortunately, Vick has learned to take better care of himself and has become more of a pocket passer then he was earlier in his career. His passer percentage is a clear reflection of that, going from 44 % in his first season, to 62 % in his last and having the best season of his life.

Not only does the scrambling quarterback get tired, but he also gets the adrenaline pumping and the pulse dramatically increases in a short time period after every run. Thus causing more erratic throws on the next play.
    I think that if young Locker had better protection at the collegiate level he wouldn't have run as much as he did.

Get that cat behind a pro-OL and he will start to evolve into what I think will be a damn fine QB at the next level. I, for one, hope thats on the Vikes.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    Blog Entries

Combine Ryan Mallett's size and arm with Jake Locker's legs and head and you have one fine NFL QB.

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1094631
    Combine Ryan Mallett's size and arm with Jake Locker's legs and head and you have one fine NFL QB.
    Agree my friend. Agree indeed.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Yeah, I watched the Locker thing.

His best attribute is that he was a good runner and he would rather pull the ball down and run than wait it out and look for an open WR. Then he would take the LB or DB head on and try to run them over. While that is an admirable trait in the CFB realm it doesn't do squat for you in the pros where you need to stand in the pocket and find the open guy and with the size and speed of the pro DB's and LB's he would have a very short career taking on defenders.

Give me Mallet any day and Ponder if nothing else. Those dudes know NFL life is too short to try and do everything yourself.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

I've watched the Gruden thing several times as I have the NFLN thing (which is much better).

Both, together with all the other stuff I've read leads me to believe that Locker is the best fit for the Vikes if they can't get Gabbert.

I know he is one tough summmmmbbbbeyatch who seems to love the game more than he loves himself (like Newton does).

I bet when he gets on a roster were he doesn't have to carry the team (as he did in college) he will be fresh enough to make better/more accurate throws.

Long story short, I sure the hell hope we get Locker somehow.
    I call BS Marr,
    The same can be said about Newton except his accuracy did not nose dive.
    I like Locker, to be honest, I like all of the Qbs in this draft.

HEY
    Blog Entries

Jake Locker looked pretty good during his pro day when he was 100 % calm and rester. Not saying that it proves everything, but I'm just sayin'...

I will not be surprised if someone did an experience which showed that a dramatically increase in pulse will cause less accurate throws.

I'm even more sure that the same will occur in a situation where the passer has been put under tremendous stress and physical activity over a long period of time.

It speaks for itself. You get tired, you lose focus, accuracy demands focus, hence: accuracy goes down.

It's not rocket science.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast