D. Edwards
    Blue

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Greg Blue

Nah he won't play LB..

He is a project and will atleast be a servicable back up

He is kinda in the Tank Williams mold.. Just a little slower

IMO this was a steal.. He could have gone 3rd round and I don't think anyone would say that was a reach

PurpleManiac is offline Pro-Bowler

Mark my words- He will be the next John Lynch in that Cover 2.

Thanks for the Sig LitlHarsh

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

I guess Fran Fooey is takin' da day off. Looks like we got a good one, finally.
    ================================================
    Greg Blue
    S | (6'2", 216, 4.62) | GEORGIA

Scouts Grade: 60 Selected by: Minnesota Vikings
    Round: 5
    Pick (Overall): 17(149)

Strengths: Possesses a very good combination of size and straight-line speed. He is tall, well-built and powerful. He can run faster on a straight line than many cornerbacks and wide receivers in the NFL. He shows the speed to potentially cover a deep-half of the field in cover-2 zone, but only if his recognition skills improve. He fills hard from the high spot. Is an intimidating presence in the middle of the field. Looks for the "kill shot" and unleashes explosive power as a tackler. He will separate the WR from the ball. He is much better defending the run and he is at his best when cheated up in "the box". He has good range in run support. Shows very good closing burst. Does a good job of getting around blocks and through traffic. Is a powerful tackler with adequate wrap-up skills is his angle is correct. Has the right mix of mental makeup and physical tools to contribute as a cover guy on special teams in the NFL.

Weaknesses: He has had some durability issues in the past, including hamstring in 2003. Is fast on a straight-line but is too stiff in the hips. He loses too much in transition and does not show good COD skills in space. He has below average recognition skills in coverage. He will be over-aggressive and will bite on the play-fake. He goes after the body instead of the ball too often. He does not show good ball skills in coverage. Lacks the quick-twitch athleticism and hip-fluidity to match up with upper-echelon pass-catching TE's or most slot-WR's in the NFL. Also needs to improve his consistency in terms of pursuit angles. He will fill too hard at times and will over-extend himself.

Overall: Blue redshirted in 2001. He played as a reserve in all 12 games as a redshirt freshman in 2002 and started two of the nine games he played as a sophomore in 2003. He took over as a fulltime starter as a junior in 2004 and finished second on the team behind Thomas Davis (Panthers) with 80 total tackles. He also had three TFL, one sack, three PBU and five QB hurries. Blue led the team with 96 tackles as a senior in 2005, while also recording 4.5 TFL, five PBU and two INT's. Blue is an intriguing prospect because he has a good combination of size, strength and speed. He covers a lot of ground in run-support and he also is an intimidating presence over the middle of the field in coverage. However, his inadequate coverage skills are glaring at the safety position. In our opinion, Blue might be better off as a weak-side linebacker in the NFL, especially for teams like the Colts and Buccaneers that emphasize speed over size on their defensive units. Regardless, Blue grades out as a late Day 1 prospect with upside as a SS or OLB on defense, as well as covering kicks on special teams.
    ===============================================
    Got a day one prospect on day two! Not bad, y'know?

BTW, dat was our last pick. We traded da other ones away. :roll:
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

sounds good to me. Welcome to the Vikings Blue!
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Finally a pick i really like! I see Blue as a great backup to start his career and maybe a starter down the line, this was a steal.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"Muggsy" wrote:
    I guess Fran Fooey is takin' da day off. Looks like we got a good one, finally.
    ================================================
    Greg Blue
    S | (6'2", 216, 4.62) | GEORGIA

Scouts Grade: 60 Selected by: Minnesota Vikings
    Round: 5
    Pick (Overall): 17(149)

[size=7px]Strengths: Possesses a very good combination of size and straight-line speed. He is tall, well-built and powerful. He can run faster on a straight line than many cornerbacks and wide receivers in the NFL. He shows the speed to potentially cover a deep-half of the field in cover-2 zone, but only if his recognition skills improve. He fills hard from the high spot. Is an intimidating presence in the middle of the field. Looks for the "kill shot" and unleashes explosive power as a tackler. He will separate the WR from the ball. He is much better defending the run and he is at his best when cheated up in "the box". He has good range in run support. Shows very good closing burst. Does a good job of getting around blocks and through traffic. Is a powerful tackler with adequate wrap-up skills is his angle is correct. Has the right mix of mental makeup and physical tools to contribute as a cover guy on special teams in the NFL.

Weaknesses: He has had some durability issues in the past, including hamstring in 2003. Is fast on a straight-line but is too stiff in the hips. He loses too much in transition and does not show good COD skills in space. He has below average recognition skills in coverage. He will be over-aggressive and will bite on the play-fake. He goes after the body instead of the ball too often. He does not show good ball skills in coverage. Lacks the quick-twitch athleticism and hip-fluidity to match up with upper-echelon pass-catching TE's or most slot-WR's in the NFL. Also needs to improve his consistency in terms of pursuit angles. He will fill too hard at times and will over-extend himself.

Overall: Blue redshirted in 2001. He played as a reserve in all 12 games as a redshirt freshman in 2002 and started two of the nine games he played as a sophomore in 2003. He took over as a fulltime starter as a junior in 2004 and finished second on the team behind Thomas Davis (Panthers) with 80 total tackles. He also had three TFL, one sack, three PBU and five QB hurries. Blue led the team with 96 tackles as a senior in 2005, while also recording 4.5 TFL, five PBU and two INT's.[/size] Blue is an intriguing prospect because he has a good combination of size, strength and speed. He covers a lot of ground in run-support and he also is an intimidating presence over the middle of the field in coverage. However, his inadequate coverage skills are glaring at the safety position. In our opinion, Blue might be better off as a weak-side linebacker in the NFL, especially for teams like the Colts and Buccaneers that emphasize speed over size on their defensive units. Regardless, Blue grades out as a late Day 1 prospect with upside as a SS or OLB on defense, as well as covering kicks on special teams.
    ===============================================
    Got a day one prospect on day two! Not bad, y'know?

BTW, dat was our last pick. We traded da other ones away. :roll:
    I bet they are think about the LB option.

Ya Mugsy, I was disappointed that this was our last pick. I would have like to have secured a Gopher in this draft. Setterstrom and Eslinger would be good to bring into camp but should get drafted by someone.

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

Likes to hit? Sounds like a good special teamer.

oddjob142 is offline Training Camp

exactly...i think alot of the later picks were for depth and special teams...

Edwards - you can see on his video where he takes out a returner
    Blue - big and physical who likes to hit...hmmm

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

I really like this pick because I see him playing a role like his old UGA teammate Thomas Davis did in Carolina this season.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast