Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Greg Blue

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Greg Blue

Since nobody wants to get a saftey i guess we should just rely on Dustin Fox and Willie Offord (coming of major ACL surgery) to be our safety's, thats a great plan. Or we could bring back chavous and let him try to play this defense, 90% of the time chavous is going to be in coverage, thats a scary f'n thought. The guy can't cover anyone, thats why he's not CB anymore, and for god sake don't expect him to cover a TE.

I guess we could get one through FA's, hmmm maybe archuleta, oh wait he can't cover... or Dexter Jackson, oh wait he's washed up, and he's a FS...

If anyone else has a better plan let me know whats on your mind.

Playing a Tampa 2, Greg Blue is not our SS of the future. Jarrad Page would be great from UCLA. Get him in the 3rd-4th round too.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"vikingstw" wrote:
    Since nobody wants to get a saftey i guess we should just rely on Dustin Fox and Willie Offord (coming of major ACL surgery) to be our safety's, thats a great plan. Or we could bring back chavous and let him try to play this defense, 90% of the time chavous is going to be in coverage, thats a scary f'n thought. The guy can't cover anyone, thats why he's not CB anymore, and for god sake don't expect him to cover a TE.

I guess we could get one through FA's, hmmm maybe archuleta, oh wait he can't cover... or Dexter Jackson, oh wait he's washed up, and he's a FS...

If anyone else has a better plan let me know whats on your mind.

I guess Vikingstw that will be up to the GM and scouting dept and head coach who they feel will do the best job, it is great to speculate but we do not get to decide who the Vikings take in the draft or pick-up as free agents. As I and Italian both have said in the Tampa 2 they need to cove more than run stop (if things work right) and so that would make Blue not the best candidate because his strength is hitting not coverage. So we will have to wait and see what they come up with in the mean time no need to get so defensive!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Ok, well if Blue is around in the second, then maybe take a look.But the fact of the matter is we need a major over-haul at LB. I'd love a hard hitting saftie. Chavous isnt that bad to me...but I know that we need someone else if we can. We havnt drafted a LB first round since idk remeber....we always get these "ok" LB's that slip through the draft and we snag em. I really want a full on take no shyt LB this year, that can cover and lay a mean hit on a unlucky sob.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

"IbleedPURPLEandGOLD" wrote:
    Playing a Tampa 2, Greg Blue is not our SS of the future. Jarrad Page would be great from UCLA. Get him in the 3rd-4th round too.
    I like Page, i like the fact that he's good in coverage already, thats always a plus, they say he can hit, he doesn't have Greg Blues speed but its enough for a safety. He's got alright size for a saftey, he could use about two more inches, one report says he weighs 200 the next says 210, 220 and so on. Its not clear to me how big he is. He's had some past injury problmes, blue hasn't, this guy is a baseball player but can't come up with a batting average so he's not gonna make it there. Best stick to football.

Its quite possible that the orginazation passes on Blue because of his coverage issues, but he's got talent, he's got the talent to play coverage scheme's, he's big, fast and he punishes WR coming across the middle of the field. He's got all the tools, he can be taught to play Cover 2, he learned to read, he's got a degree, he can learn coverage, especailly with Tomlin as or Defensive Cordinator.

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    Ok, well if Blue is around in the second, then maybe take a look.But the fact of the matter is we need a major over-haul at LB. I'd love a hard hitting saftie. Chavous isnt that bad to me...but I know that we need someone else if we can. We havnt drafted a LB first round since idk remeber....we always get these "ok" LB's that slip through the draft and we snag em. I really want a full on take no shyt LB this year, that can cover and lay a mean hit on a unlucky sob.
    I could settle for that, there's gonna be some good safties in the second round of this draft. Our luck has been so bad with LB's as of late i hate to see us try to draft another one, everytime we draft a DT, Smith, Nattiel, i get all pumped cause they had great college careers and they got all the talent but then we never develop them into quality LB's.

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    We do need a LB overhaul. Playing in a Tampa 2, Blue is not the answer. I've talked to a and draft anaylist. He likes Blue, but not in a Tampa 2. He also has him in ZERO of his round one mocks.

For the LB revamping.

Julian Peterson
    D'Qwell Jackson
    Henderson/ Havner

PurpleManiac is offline Pro-Bowler

Who says a hard hitting safety can't play Cover 2? Remember a guy who use to play for Tampa's Cover Two who many agree just stunk at coverage....by the name of John Lynch.

I admit I was one of the few who was up on Earnest Shazor- however I never really saw more then 1 game from Shazor so it was a blind judgement by me. As for Greg Blue I've seen quite a few games and everytime he is always there for his team. He's athletically as gifted as Sean Taylor- no lie there, built specifically to give a secondary that attidude and put fear in hearts of WRs....

Sean Taylor- 6'2 232
    Greg Blue- 6'2 214 lbs

Same speed and strength and Taylor's coverage ability was doubted highly coming out too......I just think with Tomlin coaching our defense Blue will be become a better coverage safety quicker then most think. I really really want this guy......BAD.

Thanks for the Sig LitlHarsh

PurpleManiac is offline Pro-Bowler

I just dont now if I can stand drafting another LB in the second round and never really giving him a chance......

Think about it if we draft another LB

Henderson, Harris, Thomas, Newman, Smth, Rookie LB

That right here, is not a good mixture of LB's. In this draft the only LB I can see making impacts like Merriman and Ware are AJ Hawk, Chad Greenway, Ahmad Brooks, Demeco Ryans, and Thomas Howard. Abdul Hodge would be a good pick in the 2nd round but is he any better then Dontarrious Thomas? Is any avialable LB in the second round going to make our LB corp that much better?

Thanks for the Sig LitlHarsh

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

last thing we need to do is rely on another rookie, lets get a free agent safety who is proven.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast