Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: Greg Blue

  1. #11
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,144

    Re: Greg Blue

    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    We don't need a liability in the secondary. If we want a hitter, lets draft a linebacker.
    Your posts are really off the wall tonight, we've had liability in the LB corpes since i've been a fan, for exept the Ed Mcdaniel days. Hey guys why don't we throw another rookie into the LB corpes, great idea!

    Dont' forget we still have offord and i'm sure he'll be back.

  2. #12
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,144

    Re: Greg Blue

    "PurpleManiac" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    We don't need a liability in the secondary. If we want a hitter, lets draft a linebacker.
    Every rookie Safety is a liability their first year. I think if we groom this kid right he will be one of the best safeties in the league 3 years from now. As for LB's we always end up drafting average LB's- Raonall Smith, Dontarious Thomas, Rod Smith...they're not bad but I doubt any of them will be special.

    Safeties get overlooked every year in the draft because of the position they play...but each year it's safeties that make a good defense great.
    Real solid post there i feel the same way. Not only do they help out in the run support but there our ball hawks.

    They do it all they play CB, LB when there up in the box then when you blitz them they play DE, lol. Good safties are fun to have.

  3. #13
    skum's Avatar
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    2,884
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Greg Blue

    If we could get him and Jean-Gilles.. Bulldog power! :=)


    ----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

  4. #14
    ItalianStallion's Avatar
    ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,615

    Re: Greg Blue

    "vikingstw" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    We don't need a liability in the secondary. If we want a hitter, lets draft a linebacker.
    Your posts are really off the wall tonight, we've had liability in the LB corpes since i've been a fan, for exept the Ed Mcdaniel days. Hey guys why don't we throw another rookie into the LB corpes, great idea!

    Dont' forget we still have offord and i'm sure he'll be back.
    First of all, this guys is straight up in the Ernest Shazor mould. Another safety who impresses people because he can tackle (yipee) but can't cover worth sh*t. Guess what folks, safety is your last line of defense and you NEED someone who can cover. In cover two, he'll be playing deep coverage 90% of the time. BTW people were touting Shazor at this time last year as a potential 1st round-2nd round pick and the guy went undrafted, then was cut by the CARDINALS in training camp.

    I'm glad we have Offord, who let me remind you was a third round pick. What seems to be suggested here is we pick up a rookie safety who can't cover, so we can "develop" him into a great player. We are still "developing" players like Dustin Fox AND Offord. You don't spend 2nd rounders on players who can't seriously challenge for a starting spot as a rookie (although our previous 2nd round drafting seems to hint otherwise). If we want a fast player who can tackle but can't cover just put Dontarrious thomas back there.

    The fact that our LBs have been so bad, and you admit it, it makes only more sense to improve that area. Young linebackers can do very well, we just haven't been able to pick any. Look at Vilma, DJ Williams, Merriman, Ware, Derrick Johnson etc. This draft is deep in good LBs and one can be gotten in the second round, any of which would be no more of a project than Greg Blue.


    I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

  5. #15
    cajunvike's Avatar
    cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    32,063

    Re: Greg Blue

    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "vikingstw" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    We don't need a liability in the secondary. If we want a hitter, lets draft a linebacker.
    Your posts are really off the wall tonight, we've had liability in the LB corpes since i've been a fan, for exept the Ed Mcdaniel days. Hey guys why don't we throw another rookie into the LB corpes, great idea!

    Dont' forget we still have offord and i'm sure he'll be back.
    First of all, this guys is straight up in the Ernest Shazor mould. Another safety who impresses people because he can tackle (yipee) but can't cover worth sh*t. Guess what folks, safety is your last line of defense and you NEED someone who can cover. In cover two, he'll be playing deep coverage 90% of the time. BTW people were touting Shazor at this time last year as a potential 1st round-2nd round pick and the guy went undrafted, then was cut by the CARDINALS in training camp.

    I'm glad we have Offord, who let me remind you was a third round pick. What seems to be suggested here is we pick up a rookie safety who can't cover, so we can "develop" him into a great player. We are still "developing" players like Dustin Fox AND Offord. You don't spend 2nd rounders on players who can't seriously challenge for a starting spot as a rookie (although our previous 2nd round drafting seems to hint otherwise). If we want a fast player who can tackle but can't cover just put Dontarrious thomas back there.

    The fact that our LBs have been so bad, and you admit it, it makes only more sense to improve that area. Young linebackers can do very well, we just haven't been able to pick any. Look at Vilma, DJ Williams, Merriman, Ware, Derrick Johnson etc. This draft is deep in good LBs and one can be gotten in the second round, any of which would be no more of a project than Greg Blue.
    Good call, IS...especially on the Shazor remix!!! I also remember how many on the board were all over Shazor's jock...just goes to show that all the hype is just that sometimes...hype!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

  6. #16
    RK.'s Avatar
    RK.
    RK. is offline Ring of Fame Rally Cross II Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    4,460

    Re: Greg Blue

    Sounds to me like Blue might make a good linebacker.

    WWBGD

  7. #17
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,144

    Re: Greg Blue

    Greg Blue's the team MVP of a tuff college, if he goes udrafted i'll be shocked. Every year of his career he has gotten better in every asspect of the game, if he continues to do what he's doin right now as a player he's gonna be good. There is no way but up with this guy.

    Yeah people liked shazor for a little while, but then he got expossed badly, he didn't show up for his combine, he was hurt, he was to big and to slow to play Safety so people didn't think he could play it, they would have to move him to LB, but then he'd be way undersized. Then his coverage questions, after awhile teams started focusing on different palyers without such a downside. The possibilty of that happening to Blue is highly unlikely, i dont think he's gonna be hurt come combine time, and there's no question about his speed or size, there prototype numbers for a saftey.

    And i'm glad we got offord, because i think the combo of them two could be even scarier for the future, when Sharper calls it quits. Blue don't have to play right away if he's not ready to be put on the field. Offord is peaking IMO. We're thin at safety and this FOX GUY i don't trust him, he's a CB he's thin like CB, Brian Williams should be the safety. So we got two real safties, there naturaul position. We need one more at least, i mean if we left Fox as the main backup, that can't be good. This is great opportunity to put great talent into our secondary.

    IMHO i think its a fact that the reason our LB's progress so slow or none at all is due to the horrible coaching. Its a fact that great coaching does wonders for your team, take NE for example, putting backups on the field resulting in high starting quality. Its cause there coaching is off the chain. Look at the long time great DC in the league and that have devolped all there players to max, Monty kiffen for one, Greg Williams, Tony Dungy, ect. Those guys don't let talent sit around thats for dang sure. Lets hope Tomlin doesn't either, cause he's got three years to prove himself.

    Then you draft him, with great coaching from a really good DB coach and its highly unlikely that Tomlin lets this guy fail. He's gonna coach him to the max cause he has the talent to be great. Thats what the draft is about, drafting young "TALENT", but you have to have great coaching to develop the talent, lets hope this is a new era.

  8. #18
    collegeguyjeff's Avatar
    collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    1,304

    Re: Greg Blue

    his coverage skills arn't very good? thats all we need is another brian russell.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

  9. #19
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,535

    Re: Greg Blue

    Like Italian said in the Tampa 2 we are going to be playing, the safeties are going to be doing more coverage than counted on for run support. In this type of a defense you do not drop your linebackers into coverage as much and so you count on them to be your run stuffers. That is why you want a strong yet fast middle linebacker to be able to come up in the gap on running plays. But your safety will be covering more, so cover skills will be more important with this formation and not necessarily hitting ability.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

  10. #20
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,144

    Re: Greg Blue

    "collegeguyjeff" wrote:
    his coverage skills arn't very good? thats all we need is another brian russell.
    This guys already better than Brian Russell and he's never played a down in the NFL. Brian Russell was QB converted to safety mid college, he got a late start, i think Blue's been laying people out for awhile.

    These type of guys really don't come around that often, he's got prototype speed, size and overall strength for a safety. We didn't even have one these guys in last years draft. Thomas Davis was converted to playing LB cause he was to big to play safety.

    Rookies are gonna be rookies but to ask for this guy to come out of college as a stud in the run game and the pass game he would have to be considered a freak. A sean taylor, those guys come around like never. There's always some kind of weakness somewhere, and i believe with great coaching he can be one of the best.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Greg Blue video
    By igjoe in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 08:17 PM
  2. Scouting Report: Greg Blue
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 09:28 AM
  3. Greg Blue signs with the Lions
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-11-2007, 07:26 AM
  4. First GIF (Greg Blue)
    By VikesFan787 in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-14-2007, 02:28 AM
  5. Greg Blue
    By DaunteHOF in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 05-02-2006, 09:08 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •