Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Greg Blue

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Greg Blue

This is quite the bio i gathered on Greg Blue FS going SS. Its along one but i've read it all and i like the guy, he is my top candidate for our first round draft pick.

Greg Blue S 6’2 214 Georgia
    By: Robert Davis

Greg Blue is one of the most physically imposing safeties in the college game. During his first two years at Georgia, he finished with 84 tackles in a reserve role. As a junior, he almost doubled those totals as he finished the season with 80 tackles, three for loss, and one sack.

Blue has awesome physical tools. He’s got great size, is very strong, and has excellent speed. It’s hard to find a better safety from a physical standpoint. His strength on the field is moving forward, attacking the line of scrimmage. He is a force against the run. Any receiver crossing the middle must worry about the hit Blue is going to lay on him.

He has the talent to play free safety at the next level, but he doesn’t have the coverage skills or awareness to. Blue is one dimensional, and probably only fits as a run stuffing strong safety in the NFL. He just does not make enough plays in coverage to be a factor in that area.

If you want a pure run stuffer at strong safety, this is your guy. He will attack the line of scrimmage like very few safeties do, and is a major factor in the running game. Just don’t ask him to make plays in coverage. Blue has the physical skills to really impress on the post season circuit, but he probably won’t go much higher than the middle of the second round.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2006/prospects/greg_blue.html
    [hr]

- FS Greg Blue, Sr. - 80 tackles, 3 broken up passes ... For good and bad, the 6-2, 214-pound Blue is a monster hitter who has become more disciplined in pass coverage instead of always going for the highlight shot. He finished second on the team with 80 tackles and was every bit as solid as the more heralded Thomas Davis. Now Blue will move from rover into the vacated free safety spot where he should lead the team in tackles.
    http://www.collegefootballnews.com/sec/2005_Previews/Georgia_defense.htm
    [hr]
    Dawgs' Blue collars opponents, degreeBy Chris Low
    Special to ESPN.com

It would be difficult to paint Greg Blue's legacy at Georgia with the swipe of one broad brush.

He'll be remembered as the enforcer in the Bulldogs' secondary, a fearsome hitter who caused anyone who dared to venture across the middle to first look out the corner of his eye for that red, silver and black No. 17.

And no. We're not talking NASCAR, either.

David Cutcliffe, Tennessee's new offensive coordinator, said Blue was the best tackler he saw play last season while monitoring the SEC for his radio talk show duties.

A 6-foot-2, 218-pound specimen, Blue heads into Monday's Nokia Sugar Bowl matchup with West Virginia as Georgia's leading tackler from his free safety position with 88 total hits.

"I want to be remembered as one of the hardest hitters to ever play here," said Blue, a consensus All-America selection this season.

He'll also be remembered as a winner. On and off the field.

In Blue's four seasons at Georgia, the Bulldogs are a combined 44-8 with two SEC championships, three SEC Championship game appearances and three consecutive top 10 finishes in the polls.

A win over the Mountaineers would make it four straight top 10 finishes.

The sweetest part for Blue and the rest of Georgia's seniors is that the Bulldogs were forgotten this season after they lost five players (including a pair of juniors) on the first day of the NFL draft last April.

All of the preseason hoopla centered on Florida, LSU and Tennessee. Only when Georgia started out 5-0 and blasted Tennessee in Knoxville did the Bulldogs start to get any love.

"We'll take it any way it comes, whether we're the favorite or whether everybody's forgotten about us," Blue said. "We didn't care what other people thought about us. We knew what we had coming back. We had a lot of experience in key areas and had a quarterback who was hungry.

"We never expected anything but a championship."

Earning a college degree was a different story.

When Blue showed up at Georgia in 2001, the truth is that there probably weren't many people banking on him leaving school with a diploma.

He was one of the last partial qualifiers admitted at Georgia before SEC schools stopped accepting players who weren't fully qualified academically.

Under the old partial qualifier rules, Blue was forced to sit out his first season and had to graduate within four years in order to get back his final year of eligibility. That requirement was later changed to five years, and Blue graduated earlier this month with a degree in child family development.

"It was hard for me my first year," Blue said. "I couldn't play. I couldn't go to the bowl game or nothing. I couldn't even be on the sideline during games with the rest of the team. All I could do was practice.

"I made it, though. Really, I needed that because it showed me that I could beat anything. I could have easily been at junior college and that's really just two years wasted."

Beating the odds is nothing new to Blue, who grew up in a drug-infested neighborhood in Atlanta and saw his father, Greg Blue Sr., sentenced to a 30-year prison term without parole. Several other uncles and cousins also ran into trouble with the law.

The elder Blue first landed in prison in 1980 and was in and out four more times for charges ranging from armed robbery to drug possession before being convicted in 2003 of drug trafficking. He's not scheduled for release until 2032.

Blue went to visit his father at Telfair State Prison in Helena, Ga., on Christmas Day.

"It was hard seeing him there," Blue said. "He knows he's made mistakes. We all do. But he told me he was proud of me and that I was an example for the rest of my family for years to come."

Blue's father is able to watch some of his games on television in prison, but he hasn't seen him play in person since the 2002 season.

When his father went away to prison in 2003, Blue's greatest concern was for his four younger brothers and two younger sisters.

He didn't want them falling into the same trap he was able to avoid.

But what's happened, according to Blue's mother, is that Greg has become the example of the way it's supposed to be.

His father -- and the path he took -- have become the example of the way it's not supposed to be.

"He's going to be the one to break the cycle in our family," Blue's mother, Teresa Webb, told the Macon (Ga.) Telegraph. "Now, all his [siblings] talk about is Greg and how they're going to do what he does."

Nearly 50 family members and friends attended Blue's graduation ceremonies. He's the first member of his family to graduate from college, and they had a big party afterward.

"I had my problems," Blue said. "I could have been anywhere. Georgia believed in me and gave me a chance. I was going to do everything I could to pay them back.

"It was hard. But luckily, I was able to stay in school, stay focused and had a dream I wasn't going to give up on. I kept all that in front of me, and I am where I am right now -- a college graduate."

All that remains is going out the right way on the football field.

"It's come down to this one last game," said Blue, who's certain to be a first-day pick in the NFL draft. "It's been a great ride. I couldn't have envisioned all this.

"I just want to make sure I go out on top."
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowls05/news/story?id=2274816
    [hr]

GREGORY B. BLUE...Born: March 12, 1982

High School: Banneker...Atlanta Journal-Constitution Super Southern 100, Top 50 in Georgia, Class AAA All-State First team, and Marvelous Metro 11 as a defensive back...Georgia Sports Writers Association All-State defensive back...SuperPrep All-Dixie Team...named one of the top 25 safeties in the country by Student Sports Magazine...BorderWars.com Top 100...recorded 89 tackles, six forced fumbles, four interceptions, and 14 pass break-ups as a senior...had an 88-yard kickoff touchdown and a 65-yard punt return touchdown in his senior season...helped his team to the 2000 Class AAA state playoffs with a 9-2 record...also a member of the basketball team...invited to play in the 2001 Georgia North-South All-Star Game....High School Coach: James Fletcher.

College: 2001 -- Redshirted.

2002 -- Missed most of spring with hamstring injury but still earned spring award for the Biggest Hit of the Spring...listed as number two roverback at conclusion of spring drills...played in 14 games for the Bulldogs...best game vs. Clemson (8 tackles)...member of team that won Georgia's first SEC championship in 20 years, defeated FSU for Nokia Sugar Bowl title, set school record for most victories in a season (13), and finished with a final national ranking of No. 3...part of defense that finished first in the SEC and fourth nationally in Scoring Defense (15.1 ppg), first in the SEC in Red Zone Defense (58.8%), second in the SEC and 19th nationally in Rushing Defense (114.0 ypg), fourth in the SEC and 15th nationally in Total Defense (303.5 ypg), and allowed only 30 total second half points in the final seven games of the season.

2003 -- Listed as number two rover at conclusion of spring drills....injured early in season but responded by playing in nine games including three starts....best games vs. Auburn (10 tackles) and the SEC Championship Game vs. LSU (8 tackles)...part of Georgia team that won 32 games from 2001-03, ranked among the top five teams nationally in winning percentage, and part of a Georgia defense that ranked 2nd nationally in Scoring Defense (14.5 ppg), 4th in Total Defense (276.86 ypg), 6th in Passing Defense (174.50 ypg),14th nationally in Turnover Margin (+.79), and 4th in number of scoreless quarters (25) among the AP's final Top Ten teams.

2004 -- Recorded five tackles in annual spring G-Day game...recipient of Teka and John Adams Football Scholarship....started all 12 games at rover...team's second-leading tackler with 80 stops including 64 solo which led the team...forced three fumbles, recovered a fumble and broke up three passes...logged five quarterback hurries and a sack for a loss of 10 yards...career-best 11 tackles vs. Georgia Southern and led all Bulldogs with 11 tackles in 2005 Outback Bowl victory over Wisconsin...ranked 15th in the SEC averaging 6.6 tackles per game...part of team that has posted 42-10 record from 2001-04 (sixth best in the country), three straight seasons of 10 or more wins, three straight bowl victories, and three consecutive national top six finishes.

2005 -- Led both teams in tackles with seven and added a tackle for loss in annual spring G-Day game......named Best Tackler following spring drills.. recorded his first career interception in Georgia's first game of the season and snagged his second versus Mississippi State...led the Bulldogs with 11 tackles against Mississippi State and 14 tackles against Tennessee...named a semi-finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award, which is given to the nation's top defensive back...named a 2005 Walter Camp First Team All-American, one of 19 seniors nationwide named a 2005 AFCA Coaches First Team All-American and also by the AP....tied for second-most tackles (six) on the team during Georgia's 34-14 win in the SEC Championship...Best Games - 14 tackles vs. Tennessee; 11 tackles, 1 forced fumble, 1 INT vs. Miss. St...semi-finalist for the Jim Thorpe Award....first team All-SEC by AP, SEC Coaches...elected by teammates as the permanent co-captain of the 2005 Georgia defense... invited to play in Senior Bowl post season all-star game...(CAREER-HIGH TCKLS: 14 vs. Tennessee - 10/8/05 - five games with 10+ tackles).... part of class that earned 44 victories--most by any senior class in Georgia history....05-06 Recipient of the Teka and John Adams Football Scholarship. ... December 2005, UGA graduate....Major: Child and Family Development.

http://georgiadogs.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/blue_greg00.html

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Greg Blue

I'd love to snag him...I see people saying that hes gonna drop to the second round? Is this true? I'd love a Sean Taylor (athletic wise) type of player in the back field.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

I think its true that he could possibly drop to the second round because of his coverage skills and the question marks there. Thats the case for alot of strong safties but great coaching and work ethics can fix that in a hurry.

I wouldn't take a chance to miss him though, i'd either trade down or snag him at 17, alot depends on his combine results to, if he blows them out of the water his stock could shoot. This is the draft, its almost about getting lucky, take him with 17 and finally get a saftey.

When is the last time we spent a first or even a second rounder on a DB, lets draft someone and develop them.

PurpleManiac is offline Pro-Bowler

aaahhh Vikingstw you know I want this guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is going to be such a beast in the NFL.....he's built like Sean Taylor. His coverage skills is rusty but he can easily learn behind Sharper.

Man! I don't care who we select the first round, if we get Blue I will be satisfied enough...he is going to make our defense that much scarier.

that said, i'm nt guarantee him to be a great NFL player but damn....I just have a feeling he's going to be REAL REAL REAL good.

Thanks for the Sig LitlHarsh

I do too, if you look at recent history most of the high round Safties being drafted turn out to be pro bowl material in a hurry. Troy Palamalu and Bob Sanders where both very high on my draft list when they where rook's. They are listed as the FS and SS on the all pro team for 2005. I've been begging for a impact Saftey for awhile, adding a real strong SS in the mix does alot for your defense, it really does. Look at the Steelers, Colts, Ravens, Redskins, Panthers. Great Safties taken in the past few years, high round safties. I think his chances are good, and this guy(blue) has been my favorite prospect thus far.

Edit: Don't forget dallas and Roy Williams.

I can't believe we selected Darion Scott over Michael Poulware 2 years ago. I was screaming with anger...

Not t say Scott is a bad player but Pouwlare has proven he can play...and play at a high level.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

As much as I like him, I see us drafting a good linebacker as first priority unless we get a FA
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

We don't need a liability in the secondary. If we want a hitter, lets draft a linebacker.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

The only LB I would pick over Blue in the 2nd round is that Hodge guy from Iowa and Thomas Howard. then agian, I think I would just select Blue over both of them.

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    We don't need a liability in the secondary. If we want a hitter, lets draft a linebacker.
    Every rookie Safety is a liability their first year. I think if we groom this kid right he will be one of the best safeties in the league 3 years from now. As for LB's we always end up drafting average LB's- Raonall Smith, Dontarious Thomas, Rod Smith...they're not bad but I doubt any of them will be special.

Safeties get overlooked every year in the draft because of the position they play...but each year it's safeties that make a good defense great.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast