Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Good Riddance Burleson

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    Ok....so they sign Nate with their pills.... what happens is Alexander (now running behind a weakened line) receives a career ending injury to his back or neck.... I would laugh my jiggly butt off if Nate entire contract became guaranteed because Seattle wanted to "make a point"!
    I think it would be funny if somehow the schedules and the playoffs ended up that he plays 5 games in Minnesota over the next 3 or 4 years before he restructures his contract.

litlharsh is offline Coordinator

I love how people love the pills when we got Hutchinson, and flip out when the SAME EXACT THING is used against us.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"VikingGuy43" wrote:
    I know the title of this thread might annoy a lot of people but there are a few reasons why I say good riddance to Nate Burleson. For one, the fact that he agreed to this offer of 7 years for $49 million is pretty much spitting in the face of the Vikings. The reason that Seattle made this deal the way they did was to get "revenge" on the Vikes... and the fact that Burleson went right along with it doesn't say much about his character. You can't blame the guy for getting the most money he could, but after all of his statements about "being a Minnesota Viking" I would have guessed he would have not "slept with the enemy" in devising this deal. I don't know about you guys but after reading these stupid "poison pill" provisions something has gotta change. 5 games in the state of MN... are you kidding me? Why didn't they just say if he wears a jersey that is purple and gold for 2 mins during the season, the entire contract is guranteed? That is BS if you ask me, and Seattle is now my new most hated team... well second most hated. Sorry Pack!
    You won't catch me saying good ridiance to Burleson. While he was here we was a solid receiver, not the best but still a good receiver.

Everytime a player leaves our team, someone starts a thread bashing the guy, no matter how good of a player he was.

He got a nice offer from the Seahawks & in a starter role. He took it. Good for him. Welcome to the world of Free Agency in the NFL.

Players leave via FA for a lot of different reasons. Money, a chance to be a starter, family, etc. There's no need to bash a guy for it.

I wish him well.

As for your comment, "Why didn't they just say if he wears a jersey that is purple and gold for 2 mins during the season, the entire contract is guranteed?", it's quite simple.

If I had that type of clause in my contract, I'd toss on a Vikings jersey for 2 minutes after I left the locker room and collect a cool a $49 mil guaranteed.

Wouldn't you? :wink:

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not mad at Nate at all. I wasn't mad at Hutch so why should I be mad at Nate. The bottom line is this only substantiates my point of Seattle being about as low class an organization as could be. first of all, they are trying to make a mockery of the CBA. The Vikings tended an offer that was requested by the clients. Seattle made these clauses to prove a point. A point that was already gpoing to be looked into. Good for Nate if he gets thaat amount of money. Personally, he's not worth it. I think he's good but not that good to warrant that type of contract. To me we finally got the best end of the bargain. We get Hutch and a 3rd round draft pick for Nate. I hope Seattle feels good about what they are doing because to me all they did was make themselves look like fools.

VikingGuy43 is offline Rookie

"litlharsh" wrote:
    Because he turned being a 3rd string wideout with a rebuilding team and a 58 year old QB, to be with an Elite offense and immediate superbowl contenders, he must be of bad character.

He does what he does to make his life better. And you wonder why many athletes hate the fans...
    Did you even read what I wrote? My questioning of Buleson's character had nothing to do with where he decided to play or the situation that exists there. It had to to with the fact that he participated in Seattle getting "revenge" on the Vikings. Read the entire comment next time before you offer your "amazing opinions" on things.

I have no problem with their right to insert "poison pill" language....but while our pill was directly related to his paycheck, the state a player plays in is not. I have no problem saying that he must be the highest paid receiver (a like position)....that makes sense..... but to say he cannot wear a helmet with a star or horns.... give me a break....that does NOT have anything DIRECTLY to do with his paycheck.

Hey Seattle, what round pick will you give us for a slightly used SOD??
    I'd much rather see the Packers miss the playoffs because of their talent then because of their injuries.

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Nate was a "pretty good" receiver . . . I'll leave it at that. A third rounder for him isn't bad. I'm pretty confident in the receivers we still have. I agree, this poison pill thing is getting pretty rediculous.
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

"VikingGuy43" wrote:
    "litlharsh" wrote:
    Because he turned being a 3rd string wideout with a rebuilding team and a 58 year old QB, to be with an Elite offense and immediate superbowl contenders, he must be of bad character.

He does what he does to make his life better. And you wonder why many athletes hate the fans...
    Did you even read what I wrote? My questioning of Buleson's character had nothing to do with where he decided to play or the situation that exists there. It had to to with the fact that he participated in Seattle getting "revenge" on the Vikings. Read the entire comment next time before you offer your "amazing opinions" on things.
    Because any time a player signs with another team, he is "getting revenge on them"

He signed a huge contract, it had a poison pill. Nothing more, nothing less. Business all the way.

VikingGuy43 is offline Rookie

"singersp" wrote:
    "VikingGuy43" wrote:
    I know the title of this thread might annoy a lot of people but there are a few reasons why I say good riddance to Nate Burleson. For one, the fact that he agreed to this offer of 7 years for $49 million is pretty much spitting in the face of the Vikings. The reason that Seattle made this deal the way they did was to get "revenge" on the Vikes... and the fact that Burleson went right along with it doesn't say much about his character. You can't blame the guy for getting the most money he could, but after all of his statements about "being a Minnesota Viking" I would have guessed he would have not "slept with the enemy" in devising this deal. I don't know about you guys but after reading these stupid "poison pill" provisions something has gotta change. 5 games in the state of MN... are you kidding me? Why didn't they just say if he wears a jersey that is purple and gold for 2 mins during the season, the entire contract is guranteed? That is BS if you ask me, and Seattle is now my new most hated team... well second most hated. Sorry Pack!
    You won't catch me saying good ridiance to Burleson. While he was here we was a solid receiver, not the best but still a good receiver.

Everytime a player leaves our team, someone starts a thread bashing the guy, no matter how good of a player he was.

He got a nice offer from the Seahawks & in a starter role. He took it. Good for him. Welcome to the world of Free Agency in the NFL.

Players leave via FA for a lot of different reasons. Money, a chance to be a starter, family, etc. There's no need to bash a guy for it.

I wish him well.

As for your comment, "Why didn't they just say if he wears a jersey that is purple and gold for 2 mins during the season, the entire contract is guranteed?", it's quite simple.

If I had that type of clause in my contract, I'd toss on a Vikings jersey for 2 minutes after I left the locker room and collect a cool a $49 mil guaranteed.

Wouldn't you? :wink:
    Very good Singersp... you got me on that one. I wasn't being serious though I was just saying that Seattle's "poison pills" were ridiculous.

Also, I wasn't bashing Burleson as a player... I liked the guy as a player. I as just saying it is disappointing to me that he cooperated with Seattle in their getting revenge on the Vikings. Seattle used him as their method of "seeking revenge" and HE ALLOWED THEM TO... against the team that gave him a chance in the NFL. If I was a Seattle fan I wouldn't like Hutchinson very much either for building in those impossible to match poison pills. Basically all the poison pill is saying from the players perspective is... "I don't want to be here anymore"... so why would a GM ever want to bring a player like that back? That is why I don't want him anymore. If you don't want to be here, Good Riddance!

"Vikefanman2000" wrote:
    I have no problem with their right to insert "poison pill" language....but while our pill was directly related to his paycheck, the state a player plays in is not. I have no problem saying that he must be the highest paid receiver (a like position)....that makes sense..... but to say he cannot wear a helmet with a star or horns.... give me a break....that does NOT have anything DIRECTLY to do with his paycheck.

Hey Seattle, what round pick will you give us for a slightly used SOD??
    Valid point. But there are 2 pills, IIRC, and one of them correlates to the highest paid running back, or whatnot.

I guess there is a certain amount of sportsmanship that needs to be shown, but I am all for this, because it will make the league fix it quickly.

Good move by the hawks.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast