Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Good, bad and ugly of free agency

Posted on Sun, Mar. 19, 2006

CAM INMAN: INSIDE THE NFL

[size=18px]Christmas has come early to NFL[/size]

Some teams receive brand new free-agent toys while others find lumps of coal in their stockings

In the midst of the 49ers shopping spree this past week, coach Mike Nolan knew his team wasn't the only busy buyer on the free-agent market.

"It seems like it is Christmas to everybody," Nolan said. "I don't know if I recall a year with as much active participation throughout the league."

The new labor deal is making players richer, and money is rolling in from across the league, except for a few locales, including the nearby Raiders.

Most high-grade talent is off the shelves. Some high-profile names are still out there, including former 49ers linebacker Julian Peterson, ex-Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson, linebacker LaVar Arrington and cornerback Ty Law, who are all represented by hard-liners Kevin and Carl Poston.

Here's a look at which teams are making the right personnel moves, and which aren't:

Winners

Cleveland Browns: Their $100 million-plus spending spree has been capped by the addition of veteran linebacker Willie McGinest. Center LeCharles Bentley, wide receiver Joe Jurevicius and punter Dave Zastudil are newcomers that all hail from Ohio, as does sophomore quarterback Charlie Frye, who'll be protected by new left tackle Kevin Shaffer.

Tennessee Titans: Wide receiver David Givens, linebacker David Thornton, safety Chris Hope and center Kevin Mawae are a nice haul for a talent-thin team that will add even more skill by drafting third overall.

Arizona Cardinals: Running back Edgerrin James won't be a savior, not with the Cardinals still fielding a bad line and an aging Kurt Warner. But James will boost the league's worst running attack as well as ticket sales heading into the Cards' new stadium.

Minnesota Vikings: Not only have they gone on a buying binge for the second straight year, they got their asking price (a second-round draft pick from Miami) for quarterback Daunte Culpepper. The big coup, though, will be if they land guard Steve Hutchinson, whose $49 million contract offer is trying to be matched by the Seattle Seahawks. They've already addressed needs with running back Chester Taylor, linebacker Ben Leber, guard Jason Whittle, kicker Ryan Longwell and kick returner/receiver Koren Robinson.

St. Louis Rams: Linebacker Will Witherspoon, defensive tackle La'Roi Glover, safety Corey Chavous and cornerback Fakhir Brown fill holes on defense for new coordinator Jim Haslett.

Washington Redskins: Go ahead and hate them for overspending yet again. But they still improved their roster by adding wide receivers Antwaan Randle El and Brandon Lloyd (traded by the 49ers), defensive end Andre Carter, safety Adam Archuleta, quarterback Todd Collins and tight end Christian Fauria.

49ers: Beggars can't be choosers, and yet the 49ers have an encouraging crop of newcomers (wide receivers Antonio Bryant and Bryan Gilmore, cornerback Walt Harris) and returnees (kicker Joe Nedney and linebackers Derek Smith and Brandon Moore).

Miami Dolphins: Their quarterback hunt resulted in their landing the guy with a rebuilt knee (Culpepper) over the one with a repaired shoulder (Drew Brees). They'll need Culpepper to regain his top form to compensate for the expected suspension of running back Ricky Williams.

Detroit Lions: They got two of the top available quarterbacks in Jon Kitna and Josh McCown, enabling them to finally push Joey Harrington out the door.

Losers

Dallas Cowboys: Jerry Jones is trumpeting what Terrell Owens "brings" to the Cowboys, but wait until he sees how the Cowboys are once Owens leaves them in shambles. No way Owens makes it through this season happy, nor appear in all 16 games.

Raiders: Hello? Did they forget the grocery list? This feels strangely like their coaching search -- wait, wait, wait. One month to go before the Matt Leinart/Vince Young/Jay Cutler raffle.

Indianapolis Colts: They've had almost all subtractions, other than re-signing linebacker Gary Brackett, their leading tackler last season. Peyton Manning still has a strong supporting cast, but the loss of running back James, linebacker Thornton, defensive tackle Larry Triplett and likely kicker Mike Vanderjagt will force the Colts to adjust.

Chicago Bears: Their top-notch defense didn't get the offensive support it perennially lacks. They failed to lure Randle El back to his roots and also were outbid for Archuleta, Carter, kick returner Eddie Drummond and defensive end Kalimba Edwards.

Houston Texans: Rather than bulk up on offense for Reggie Bush's arrival via the draft, they lost two wide receivers (Corey Bradford, Jabar Gaffney) and a guard (Milford Brown). They tried in vain to grab wide receiver David Givens and instead splurged on defensive end Anthony Weaver.

Jacksonville Jaguars: This team is challenged offensively, so naturally it dropped a $10 million signing bonus on former Vikings cornerback Brian Williams. The best offensive help they could get was right tackle Mike Williams, a first-round bust from Buffalo.

Kansas City Chiefs: They've celebrated the arrival of coach Herm Edwards and the 2015 Super Bowl, but no impact players.

New England Patriots: After losing parts of their dynasty last year, the Patriots are at it again, bidding farewell to McGinest, Givens, Fauria, wide receiver Andre Davis, cornerback Tyrone Poole and very likely receiver Troy Brown and kicker Adam Vinatieri.

San Diego Chargers: Once you get over their ditching quarterback Drew Brees in favor of Philip Rivers, you'll see they've done little else and lost out on top free agents other than former Carolina Panthers safety Marlon McCree.

Cincinnati Bengals: They let Kitna leave, which wouldn't be a big deal if Carson Palmer weren't rehabilitating a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Christmas has come early to NFL

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Christmas has come early to NFL

Nice to read this in light of all the people who are saying the Vikings did "nothing" in the FA period! Thanks for the posting!
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

Agree, I just don't understand the 'did nothing' posts.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

:scratch: I'm wondering why the Packers aren't listed under the "losers" category.

They haven't done much in FA signings, except for resigning Henderson & signing Pickett & they also risk losing Nall, Flanagan & Walker to go along with the loss of Longwell.

Their starting QB is still up in the air with Favre's decision to retire being pushed back.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"singersp" wrote:
    :scratch: I'm wondering why the Packers aren't listed under the "losers" category.

They haven't done much in FA signings, except for resigning Henderson & signing Pickett & they also risk losing Nall, Flanagan & Walker to go along with the loss of Longwell.

Their starting QB is still up in the air with Favre's decision to retire being pushed back.
    They were so bad that I don't even see them on the list! I looked three times, did I just miss them? It is early in the morning, maybe I need another cup of coffee? :lol:
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

Detroit Lions: They got two of the top available quarterbacks in Jon Kitna and Josh McCown, enabling them to finally push Joey Harrington out the door.
    is it just me or does it seem like detroit needs 2 of everything to get something good?
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Most high-grade talent is off the shelves. Some high-profile names are still out there, including former 49ers linebacker Julian Peterson, ex-Raiders cornerback Charles Woodson, linebacker LaVar Arrington and cornerback Ty Law, who are all represented by hard-liners Kevin and Carl Poston.
    Helps explain the bang cartoon!

Let's wait until the price on Woodson goes down and put him on the Vikes for a couple million. (never happen!)

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    Nice to read this in light of all the people who are saying the Vikings did "nothing" in the FA period! Thanks for the posting!
    If you take Hutch out of that, then it doesn't look as exciting.

Leber - 4 yr vet, ??,
    Taylor - 4 yr vet, 62 Games, 8 Starts, 373 Atmps, 1599 Yds, 4.3 Avg, ??
    Whittle - 9 yr vet, 109 games started 40 ?????
    Longwell - 0-0....7-7....6-10....3-5....4-5....20-27....53....1....74.1%....30-31....30 ....96.8%

6-10 from 30-39 yds
    3-5 from 40-49 yds
    74.1 is his second worst year in his 10 year career.

resigned K-Rob

Longwell is good too, it is really close in their career stats but........
    IMHO....Adam V was the best kicker in FA and we passed. Not as accurate on the 50 plus, but more accurate last season inside. 80 percent on the season.
    0-0....7-7....9-10....4-6....0-2....20-25....49....0....80.0%....40-41....40....97.6%

I went back and looked it up, thought I would put it down in this post, like I said, they are very close over their careers.

.................RL...........AV
    1-19..........100%......100%
    20-29.........92............96
    30-39.........87............83
    40-49.........72............71
    50 +..........59.............47
    Career.......82............82
    Blocked......9...............3

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

Leber - 4 yr vet, ??,
    Longwell - 0-0....7-7....6-10....3-5....4-5....20-27....53....1....74.1%....30-31....30 ....96.8%

6-10 from 30-39 yds
    3-5 from 40-49 yds

resigned K-Rob

IMHO....Adam V was the best kicker in FA and we passed. Not as accurate on the 50 plus, but more accurate last season inside. 80 percent on the season.
    0-0....7-7....9-10....4-6....0-2....20-25....49....0....80.0%....40-41....40....97.6%

I went back and looked it up, thought I would put it down in this post, like I said, they are very close over their careers.

i LOVE the longwell signing..this guy has played as well as vinatieri in the absolute worst kicking conditions in the entire league..sure adam made some kicks in the playoffs when bad weather finally hits the northeast, but overall, the weather always sucks in GB..this guy is going to elevate those numbers playing for the vikings
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:

Leber - 4 yr vet, ??,

6-10 from 30-39 yds
    3-5 from 40-49 yds

resigned K-Rob

hmm taylor 4.3 yd average..sounds alot like lamont jordan to me, which is a good thing
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast