Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Getting a better 1st!!!

I tink we should keep all of our draft picks and not trade up, y'know? Da more picks we got, da more chance of us gettin' a goodie, y'know? It's all in da poicentages.

I asked around about dis Whitehoist mug, and Benny "Da Rat" had dis on 'im:
    =================================================
    Charlie Whitehurst
    QB | (6'4", 223, 4.77) | CLEMSON

Scouts Grade: 72

Strengths: He has very good overall size. Is tall and well-built. Shows decent foot quickness and mobility for his size. Is smooth and has good body control. Can see over his offensive line and rarely has trouble finding passing windows. He has a high release and doesn't have many passes batted down. He has great arm strength. Throws the deep ball with good velocity and also gets great RPM's on deep-out routes. He can drive the ball downfield. Is capable of throwing on the run when rolling both to the right and left. Puts good touch on the deep ball. Can drop the ball in between the safeties and linebackers. He has a smooth release and shows the ability to take speed off his underneath throws. His timing is inconsistent but his touch is excellent. When he has time to set up and make his reads from within the pocket, he can be a very accurate passer. Does a good job in terms of his play-fakes. Will freeze the linebacker.

Weaknesses: Is an inconsistent performer. Comes from a wide-open shotgun-heavy offensive system. Will need to adjust to taking snaps from under center more frequently in the NFL. Possesses adequate straight-line speed but not a great athlete. Purely a pocket passer. Will not be a threat to run at the next level. He seems to be careless too often. He can be overconfident and will take too many chances throwing into traffic. He throws too many passes up for grabs when the pocket is collapsing around him. His mechanics are inconsistent. Will throw off his back foot too often. Makes too many poor decisions under pressure. Does not show the consistent ability to beat the blitz. Release is too slow at times. He will be too late in terms of his timing on the deep ball sometimes. He has good overall size but lacks muscle definition. There are lots of questions about his commitment in the offseason and in the weight room.

Overall: Whitehurst redshirted in 2001 and ranked second in passing efficiency in the ACC in 2002. He emerged as one of college football's most productive passers as a sophomore in 2003, when he completed 61.9-percent of his passes for 3,561 yards with 21 touchdowns and 13 interceptions. However, with behind a patchwork offensive line and with a complete facelift at the wide receiver position, Whitehurst struggled early as a junior. He improved as the season progressed but the 2004 season as a whole was a disappointing campaign, as Whitehurst started all 11 games, completed just 50.5-percent of his attempts for 2,067 yards with just seven TD's compared to 17 INT's. He bounced back as a senior in 2005, when Whitehurst completed 67.2-percent of his attempts for 2,474 yards with 11 TD's and 10 INT's. Whitehurst is a big, strong-armed pocket passer that rebounded nicely as a senior in 2005 following a miserably disappointing 2004 campaign. Whitehurst has good overall physical tools and has flashed the potential to possibly emerge as a starting quarterback in the right system at the next level. However, he is entirely too inconsistent and erratic to consider selecting in the first two rounds of the 2006 draft. His lack of athleticism also puts limitations on his playmaking ability. In our opinion, Whitehurst is worth drafting late on Day 1 but no earlier than Round 3.
    ===============================================
    Me, I tink we should go for Omar Jacobs. He has a little less rough spots on 'im dan dis Whitehoist mug, y'know?
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Stay at 17 (or trade down if it's reasonable). I say pick up the best available at the time. Get Jacobs or Whitehurst in later rounds (please God, no Croyle!).
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

1000% agreed. No Croyle

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

I couldnt agree more Ned!
    I also agree with Muggsy

No sense in getting rid of draft pics so we can pick before everybody else.
    There are a lot of good players in this years draft. We should sit comfortable knowing that who ever we get would be great to the team. No sense in messing up all these "first and second round for higher first" scenarios.
    i m better than you, so just give up...

jaymz7 is offline Asst. Coach

I agree we should stay put. 5 picks on the first day will help us get the players to help build to stay a contender for a long time.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"vikeswin2005" wrote:
    TAKE JACOBS OR WHITEHURST IN THE 2ND AND TAKE THE BEST PALYER AT 17
    STOP YELLING! :cussing:

:grin:

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

I have never been a fan of trading multiple draft picks to move up.

we would be basically trading 3 players for 1 unproven rookie. Especailly with the NFL draft, I have always believed that having more picks is always the better way to go. There is no garuantees in the NFL draft so having more opportunities to bring players in is better than pulling all your eggs in one basket

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Usually, we don't trade up. Our front office drafts really, really well. They have it in perspective. They see the large picture. They look at it like chess pieces and are not attached. I applaud what they have done and do. I couldn't do what they make their living doing.

This year, I think we get Cutler....my gut feeling, don't know why. IMO, clueless person out in Utah, not in MN, think they may actually trade up to get him. For once. And if they do, I bet they are right. Was it Tice or the front office types? I am thinking Studwell, Brzenzski [sp], and the boys. Tice helped. And I think Childress will help this year.

What a GREAT offseason, its like the best mystery novel ever written, and we are right in the middle, trying to figure out all the twists and turns of the plot. Could drive you nuts, could keep you glued to a chair with the book for HOURS. I think the intrigue of the draft will be no let down, perhaps the catharsis. WOW! Gonna take a vacation day from work to turn that page on the 29th. =).

Seems most like LB early, QB late. Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there more depth at LB than QB this year? And LB's drop, much more than QB's (typically). I am thinking QB first, then LB.

Webbigale2002 is offline Training Camp

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see them go with Tye Hill with their first pick, then linebacker and quarterback in the second round.
    Daunte who?

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

It really all depends on need. I personally feel that we are not ok at QB right now. I don't want to see Brad get injured and then have to play the rest of the season with Whitehurst or Jacobs as our starter. At least if we get Cutler we will have a QB with enough raw skill to do well in an emergency situatation next year.

I also see where others are coming from, looking beyond next season, there difference between drafting Cutler or Whitehurst will diminish as long as he is developed correctly. So the question is, do we need a dependable backup QB, or do we need a QB for the future?

I think trading up to 5 or 6 is a bit too much to ask. If we trade up 7 or 8 spots we should be able to get Cutler. If not, we wait it out and draft a LB. Either, QB or LB, I'll be happy. I don't think drafting BPA with our first pick is a good move.

I think the best part is that we had such a good FA that both options are very possible right now. Draft day will be very interesting for the Vikings.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12