Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Future Of Vikings Linebacker Corps

I'm glad you explained, i do disagree about your assumption of "easy" INT's that winfield caught. There is nothing about being in the right place at the right time, good things happen. Smoot's INT where in no way better then Winfields and that is "Facts", i seen both of them. I do agree Smoot is an exelent corner but in no way do i take smoot over winfield, thats the obvious reason Winfield is our #1 CB and Smoot is the #2... wait #3 corner. Things could change if BW is gone, i think smoot has game and only will be a short time before he gains his confidence back, this whole new coaching staff will help him imensly. I'm looking foward to see smoot in action, all i know is Winfield was worth every penny we paid for him, smoot is yet to prove himself and his worth.

Also your correct about Smoot's play EARLY in the year, aside from the Steve Smith masacre he played some good football.

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

The only LB that I think should start right now out of our group is E.J. though I'm not sure where to put him. I agree with the poster above that we should try to get Will Witherspoon and I guess let our other guys compete with each other for the final spot.
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

PurpleManiac is offline Pro-Bowler

EJ isn't fast, he never will be...but he doesn't need to be..because he isn't slow either =DDDDD he's got perfect speed to play Mike. What I love about EJ the most is that...he is a tough son of a gun player. He's a tackling machine and puts his body on the line to take the offensive player down. I am all for giving him another shot at MLB...hell if all else fails we can always move him to Will agian.

DT- Man his preseason rookie year looked promising....that's a looong time ago though. He still is our most talented LB, has every quality a LB can ever want in this league. I'd hesitate to start him but I trust that if Tomlin does give DT a shot at starting it's the correct choice.

Raonal Smith- I really hope we resign this guy if he doesn't ask for much. Excellet skills, size, speed.....IMO if he hadn't gotten hurt so much this guy would be starting for us making plays ever Sunday. He will get a chance and I think he's going to do well

Napo- Someone said he was lazy. I will agree...but with freshface at DC he should be jacked up to play. I think Cottrell kind of singled him out, not using him correctly. His attidude is questionable, tools are there though.

Newman- I'd keep him for sure. If he doesn't work out at LB let's convert him to DE! He'd be an excellent replacement for Johnstone (assuming we don't resign Lance).

Cowart- I think it be good for us to resign him for the minimum....that is if we plan on starting EJ at MLB. He can still mentor EJ and whoever we wish to bring in for MLB.

Thanks for the Sig LitlHarsh

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I would say Smoot played well most of the year. Remember he was hurt early in the year. Everyone has their opinions. Not everyone will agree. Winfield is a good football player. No doubt. I think Smoot is better as a caver guy. I think Winfield is better at stopping the run and instincts. That's one of my reasons for thinking Smoot and B-Will would be a good cover 2.

Like I stated Winfield's INTs were tips and overthrows. I agree no INT is a bad one and it's great he was in the right place at the right time. Smoots INTs were while defending a pass. This is why Winfield and Sharper would be an awesome tandom as Safeties.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

I believe B-WILL, will for sure leave the team. He wasn't at all happy when the Vikes signed Smoot, and put him in as a starter right away, it kind of was aslap in the face to B-Will. Then when Smoot gets hurt, Will stepped up and did a awesome job, I think it was kinda of I will show you type of deal, he knew it could be his last year in Minny, so if anything he jacked his stock way up there. Then Smoot comes back and whines about not being the starter because Will is playing so good.

IMO, that was a bad call on Smoot's part, then he misses curfew, and gets benched the last game. Made himself look like a jerk, and a little baby. I would love to see the Vikes resign B-Will, but that probably won't happen, it is a shame, he showed alot more heart than Smoot could ever..

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"ejmat" wrote:
    I would say Smoot played well most of the year. Remember he was hurt early in the year. Everyone has their opinions. Not everyone will agree. Winfield is a good football player. No doubt. I think Smoot is better as a caver guy. I think Winfield is better at stopping the run and instincts. That's one of my reasons for thinking Smoot and B-Will would be a good cover 2.

Like I stated Winfield's INTs were tips and overthrows. I agree no INT is a bad one and it's great he was in the right place at the right time. Smoots INTs were while defending a pass. This is why Winfield and Sharper would be an awesome tandom as Safeties.
    The first of Smoots INT's looked like the QB was throwing the ball away but didn't get it far enough toward the sideline and smoot snagged it for a INT, nice catch and all but i never even seen a reciever. The second was just a god awful throw to IDK once again. This one also a nice diving catch in the endzone, but who the QB was throwing to i have no clue.

The CB with the best INT's is Brian Williams, he makes some amazing INT's.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I agree that Williams was our best corner this year. The 2nd of Smoots INTs was a bad throw in the endzone but none the less he was right there on his man. His 1st was a catch going out of bounds and from what I remember the receiver was right behind him. We can debate this all day long and really it's a matter of opinion. If you watch the games and I know you do, Winfield lets up a lot of catches. Yes he makes the stop whcih is a good thing. He's a littlemore conservative than Smoot. Yes that is a good thing too. I'd rather let WRs catch the ball in front of me as a defender. I don't want to put Winfield down. He's a good football player. I do think he's over-rated as a cover guy due to the fact he let's up a lot of catches while Smoot gets more pass deflects. That's probably a good reason why he had PI calls against him. Half of them against Smith were a joke. I think anyone would have had the game he had that day if the ref called them for every single touch and even for plays he didn't touch Smith. I know I would have started to back off too.

I do agree that Smoot acted childish throughout the year too. 1st the party boat. Then the missing curfew. I do hope B-Will stays now. Last year I didn't care if he stayed or went. He proved me wrong.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345