Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Future Of Vikings Linebacker Corps

Also Del Rio great point about any player in the NFL having the capability to be great. This is the type of talent we have at LB.

1st- Napolean Harris
    2nd- Sam Cowart (drafted same year as moss)
    2nd- EJ Henderson
    2nd- Dontarious Thomas
    2nd- Raonall Smith

Somebody had all the talent they needed to work with and didn't do damn thing with it.

"olson_10" wrote:
    EJ is just plain slow and will continue to get burned everytime a TE comes out on his side, and Cowart is just too old and slow for the new scheme..Tomlin said we need athletic, speedy linebackers for this new scheme, and DT is the only one that fits that description
    Dude EJ is not slow man, you've been watching film of him from the year before last when he had a blown out knee trying to play on it. EJ has gotten faster then his college days IMO, i think he's been in wheight room more often trying to earn back his job wich cowart had, work paid off cause he won a starting job.

You dont have to have blazing speed to play LB, you have to be not stupid and take false steps or hesitate (See Corey Chavous and Dontarius Thomas). He's got plenty of speed to play LB regardless of this scheme. I've seen him numurous times with text book coverage on RB's. He wasn't great at it when he came into the league but he's showed improvement under bad coaching witch leads me to believe he has a future.

Here's a little bit of scouting report that pretty much sums it up, very accurate to his playing days in the NFL also.

Positives: Henderson is a big, strong, active, physical, aggressive, instinctive linebacker with excellent vision, awareness and game speed. He anticipates well and knows just when to hit the hole to get into the backfield and make plays for negative yardage. He covers much more ground than his speed would indicate and is a nonstop hustle guy.(Guy is always around the football, when there's a fumble) He can stack and shed at the point of attack, uses his hands well to shed and has a short, explosive burst to the ball. A quick-twitch type of athlete, he is adequate in pass coverage and can blitz. He can also get outside at times. Is willing to play hurt.

A decent 40 time and clean bill of health would be enough to make Henderson the top linebacker drafted in April. He won't wow you with his test numbers, but Henderson plays faster than his timed speed and has outstanding instincts. (This is the reason he is better then DT, DT has all the speed and no instincts)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/tracker/player?id=6891

All people ever care about is 40 times and i hate that sh*t. I'll relate this to nate burleson also who doesn't have great speed but has great field speed and carries his pads very well.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

We do have great talent on the defensive front. There isn't any reason why we don't stunt more and blitz. I have to agree with Del Rio that Cottrell stunk as a d coordinator. I think Tomlin is a huge upgrade. I'm really excited about the d next year. I just hope our offense refines itself.

The LB core is pretty solid too. I think EJ is much improved. DT needs to be caoched better but he does have the talent. Napo needs more deetermination. He looks lazy to me. Smith, if he can stay healthy, has the tools, we already know Cowart can do the job and so can Newman.

IMO the secondary needs a little revamping. I like Sharper and Smoot but I question CC and Winfield. I know a lot of people hate Smoot and love Winfield but remember that when Smoot's healthy he is always around the ball when it comes his way. Winfield, IMO, is somewhat over-rated. He makes the tackles when needed and plays the run very well but his coverage isn't all that. He plays conservatively (which isn't bad) but WRs usually come up with the reception. That's one of the reasons he has as many tackles as he does. CC is sound but nothing better than average.

I'd like to see the combo of Smoot and B-Will at CB and Sharper and (a converted) Winfield as Safeties. I think if taught right, Winfield would be an awesome FS. Just my very humble opinion.

The team should keep Newman in their LB plans, the guy just flat out plays hard !!
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Out of our LB corps, I like EJ and DT the best. I believe they both line up Willie, and that sucks, because it is hard to have both of our best LBs on the field at the same time.

I think Newman is the best at Sam, but his speed is an issue there. Maybe this could be a good spot for DT.

I am optimistic for Napo this coming season. I would say move him back to Mike and let him tear it up. I liked Cowert this season, but I don't think he has the speed to step up in the cover 2.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

waynesworld is offline Rookie

I say we make a strong offer for Julian Peterson. Maybe Lavar Arrington also. Sound good? :grin:
    [img:9191bfb1cf]http://xs21.xs.to/pics/05121/wanyesworld.gif[/img:9191bfb1cf]

cc21 is offline Ring of Fame

"waynesworld" wrote:
    I say we make a strong offer for Julian Peterson. Maybe Lavar Arrington also. Sound good? :grin:
    I would love to get Lavar Aarrington. The guy is a beast. Julian Peterson, I don't think we really need him.

"ejmat" wrote:
    We do have great talent on the defensive front. There isn't any reason why we don't stunt more and blitz. I have to agree with Del Rio that Cottrell stunk as a d coordinator. I think Tomlin is a huge upgrade. I'm really excited about the d next year. I just hope our offense refines itself.

The LB core is pretty solid too. I think EJ is much improved. DT needs to be caoched better but he does have the talent. Napo needs more deetermination. He looks lazy to me. Smith, if he can stay healthy, has the tools, we already know Cowart can do the job and so can Newman.

IMO the secondary needs a little revamping. I like Sharper and Smoot but I question CC and Winfield. I know a lot of people hate Smoot and love Winfield but remember that when Smoot's healthy he is always around the ball when it comes his way. Winfield, IMO, is somewhat over-rated. He makes the tackles when needed and plays the run very well but his coverage isn't all that. He plays conservatively (which isn't bad) but WRs usually come up with the reception. That's one of the reasons he has as many tackles as he does. CC is sound but nothing better than average.

I'd like to see the combo of Smoot and B-Will at CB and Sharper and (a converted) Winfield as Safeties. I think if taught right, Winfield would be an awesome FS. Just my very humble opinion.
    I disagree about winfield, he is underated. He not underated around here because we watch his games. He is underated around the NFL. He is a top 10 CB in this league and is a huge impact to any defense he is put on. Bills fans loved him we love him. Childress was quoted saying "he's one of toughest CB's in the league". Brett Favre has alot of respect for winfield to. Winfields first year he gave up one TD that was questionable TO catch. I rarely rarely get upset with winfields coverage abitlity, he has smooth hips, has great quickness and 4.47 type speed. One thing he does is play to much off the WR at times, possibly cotrell's fault he's been doin that shit with all the CB's since he got hear. Winfield fits in the scheme and just like ronde barber did in Tampa. Winfield's zone coverage is good, besides his good coverage winfield's tackling ability puts him in the top 10 CB's in league.

There are countless times where a WR, TE or RB caught a pass in the flat 1 yard from the 1st down line and winfield put him on the ground in hurry when any other CB would have given up a first down. Another thing about Winfield, You absolutly CANNOT run WR screens on him, he far to instinctive and quick to hit the line of scrimage and put the WR on the ground in a hurry. Teams never run WR screens at Winfield.

By the way how can you like Smoot better than Winfield, thats WACK! Some explenation here would be great, winfield is also very durable especailly for his size. Smoot has been know to be a cocky mouth running iritating guy, sets up a boat stripper party and u still like him better then Winfield, WOW, please explain.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast