Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Future Of Vikings Linebacker Corps

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    Ernie would be a perfect fit here. My buddy Monis that goes to FSU had a class and a lab with em , thier pretty good friends. Hes a fast athletic LB...Think a brand new Derrick Brooks, however he does have cons, and that is why most people think he'll fall through to the second. I'd love to get him.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm not sure what other cons there are on Sims, I heard he had an off-the-field isuue his Freshman year, and that he is considred a bit undersized for the position in the NFL.

But Derrick Brooks drew the same criticizm. I think he turned out alright...
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

Big C is offline Coordinator

Ted Cottrell was our Linebackers coach too right? If so, then I wouldn't expect EJ or DT to have any development. That jackass was all about his schemes and not about creating schemes to match the talent. Hopefully a new LB coach will change that.

I think EJ was a monster at WLB and we should keep him there. Newman was FRICKIN SOLID at SLB so we should keep him there. The thought of DT (smart an athletic like someone pointed out) at MLB sounds interesting. He will have to show some leadership for that. Every time I see the Seahawk's Lofa Tatopu make a play, it just makes me wish our younger LBs could play like that. I mean their MLB and WLB are rookies!! Anyway, I digress.

Rod Davis is a solid but avegae backup. Raonall Smith is talented enough to be a starter somewhere because he finally figured out how to stay healthy. I'm not saying anything about Harris. I have been one of his bad critics since preseason (when I saw the Seahawks 3rd string RB run right by him TWICE in a row because he overpersued and couldn't adjust even though there weren't any blockers on him). OK, shutting up now.

I also think Mewelde can be our starter next year and the whole injury thing was blown out of proportion by Tice.
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Del Rio Guest

I would let Cowart walk.

If I couldn't get a very big name at MLB like a Brooks or something I would move EJ into his spot.

He has a nose for the ball and was racking up solid numbers while playing in a system that wasn't designed for him to succeed.

I would have EJ Napo, and Newman on my starting roster.

I seriously blame every single one of our LB's poor play on Ted Cotrell. You look what he was playing and it just makes you feel bad for the players.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I would let Cowart walk.

If I couldn't get a very big name at MLB like a Brooks or something I would move EJ into his spot.

He has a nose for the ball and was racking up solid numbers while playing in a system that wasn't designed for him to succeed.

I would have EJ Napo, and Newman on my starting roster.

I seriously blame every single one of our LB's poor play on Ted Cotrell. You look what he was playing and it just makes you feel bad for the players.

I agree wholeheartedly and I think that the new coaching staff will be a big boon for our linebackers, well I guess that is if they keep them and do not bring in guys they want. I also think that Raonall Smith really picked it up on special teams this year and has be come a valuable asset to the Vikes after some very disappointing years.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

I'm just glad I'm not the only one who hasn't given up on Napo. Cottrell was terrible when it came to the 'backers.

Thanks Del Rio!
    Proud member of PP.O since April 5th, 2003!

Del Rio Guest

I think even if we didn't see a change in players this year you would see a completely DIFFERENT team on the field.

That is seriously how bad that scheme was. It was an iron hand scheme that was forced on players and almost every single player was not playing to their strengths.

We have an amazing line. Speed and power at DE, size and strength in the middle. Our LB's were not allowed to maximize on that. Hell our D line wasn't I seen 4 stunts all year. I shit you not.

To be brutaly honest: The only reason I am really glad Tice is gone? Is because I knew it would get Cotrell out of here. The guy was crippling the entire team.

In my eyes everyone gets a clean slate now. Napo, Smoot, every single one of them. Every player in the NFL has potential to be amazing, everyone of them are great even to get to that point. It's how they are coached and what position they are put in that allows them to make the most noise.

We were bass ackwards all year. Change is definately a good thing.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I don't know what was going on with our LB's development but there not developing. Especailly DT, the guy looks lost no matter what is going on, he constantly hesitates on plays then runs with his speed to catch up. Not Cool. He's never in front of a play, everytime he makes a tackle its from behind, he has great tools, the instincts is what scares me, can they teach him? On the other hand EJ is healthy and he has great instincts, size and speed for a LB, he's something else ans will continue to get better with the new staff.

I want to think napo has a chance to be a solid player but even though cotrell sucked napo sucked more, constantly taking hiself out of plays. People try to make the excuse of his injury effecting him but he passed our physical when we traded for him. I see some spark in the guy, his sack in preseason, but then he turns around and does what he did in the last game of season, puts himslef in position, lays a hit on the RB in the backfield doesn't rap up and RB is gone. He was a playmaker in college he beat out Biekert who was a great MLB in prime. There's definitly something there, can the magic come back? He's not a FA and he's on the roster so we will find out first hand for sure. He'll make the team as a specail teamer or whatever, maybe tomlin digs deap and gets this guy out of whole he's created. Maybe the pressure will be off his shoulders, nobody is expecting spectacular things anymore. We'll see.

I'd like to keep raonall at the right price, considering he's one of our best specail teamers and if not offord our specail teams captain.

I'm greatful for what cowart did this season but we have three MLB's on the roster, (EJ, Nap, Davis, and possibly DT) so we should let the guy go and get these guys going.

Newman needs to be back, absolutly great situational guy, great pass rusher. Regardless of scheme he's a gamer. He's always fairly solid in coverage. Seems Newman has been a bit of a later bloomer, maybe cotrell slowed down his development as a youngster.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    I think even if we didn't see a change in players this year you would see a completely DIFFERENT team on the field.

That is seriously how bad that scheme was. It was an iron hand scheme that was forced on players and almost every single player was not playing to their strengths.

We have an amazing line. Speed and power at DE, size and strength in the middle. Our LB's were not allowed to maximize on that. Hell our D line wasn't I seen 4 stunts all year. I pooh you not.

To be brutaly honest: The only reason I am really glad Tice is gone? Is because I knew it would get Cotrell out of here. The guy was crippling the entire team.

In my eyes everyone gets a clean slate now. Napo, Smoot, every single one of them. Every player in the NFL has potential to be amazing, everyone of them are great even to get to that point. It's how they are coached and what position they are put in that allows them to make the most noise.

Its absolutly amazing that you can have a line like us with athletisim like we do at the DT position and not run any stunts all year. Even though we had adequit pressure it could have been much better. Tomlin is gonna have a hay-day with Udeze, Eras, K Will, P Will, S Johson, ect.

Del Rio Guest

"vikingstw" wrote:
    "Del Rio" wrote:

We have an amazing line. Speed and power at DE, size and strength in the middle. Our LB's were not allowed to maximize on that. Hell our D line wasn't I seen 4 stunts all year. I pooh you not.

Its absolutly amazing that you can have a line like us with athletisim like we do at the DT position and not run any stunts all year. Even though we had adequit pressure it could have been much better. Tomlin is gonna have a hay-day with Udeze, Eras, K Will, P Will, S Johson, ect.
    That line was getting pressure on pure talent alone.

If he does harness it you could have any LB back there and it wont matter.

That defensive line is amazing. I'm very excited to see what they come up with for them. Sad thing is 2 of the 4 times the stunts lead to sacks. He had our lineman dropping into QB spy more then stunting.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

EJ is just plain slow and will continue to get burned everytime a TE comes out on his side, and Cowart is just too old and slow for the new scheme..Tomlin said we need athletic, speedy linebackers for this new scheme, and DT is the only one that fits that description
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast