Thread: future QB

renovikesfan is offline Coordinator

Re: future QB

"Hawkeye23" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "PurplePeopleEaters89" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    [quote author=duvaldomo link=topic=33777.msg573195#msg573195 date=1177967327]
    [quote author=Hawkeye23 link=topic=33777.msg573192#msg573192 date=1177967033]
    we need a QB that can make plays and our depth chart for QB is full of suck and inexperience.
    Maybe we should have drafted a winner or signed a veteran QB in the offseason are QB with the most experience has started what like 20 games? BAH
    stop bashing Tjack, before this guy was a starter he did great and everyone wanted him to start. Now hes started bout what 3-4 ( I forgot) and now people dont want him. I think he just need(ed) some time, he will do good this year I think.
    i completely agree! Tjack was just thrown to the dogs at the end of the year. Brad didn't make any adjustments from their pocket passer (Brad Johnson) to their mobile newcomer (Tarvaris Jackson). I think if Tjack wants to have a good career with Minnesota then Brad Childress needs to start tweaking his offense to best suit Tjack's skills!
    What adjustments could have Brad Childress made regarding that?

I watched his preseason games where he was able to get out of the pocket and make plays on the move. When i watched him sit back in the pocket and try to pass the ball he just seemed uncomfortable. the one play i remember the best is when he rolled out of the pocket and drew in a few defenders and lobbed the ball over their heads to Mewelde Moore on a screen play. Brad Childress needs to let him use his legs more to create big plays instead of sitting back in the pocket and throwing to his checkdown receivers.
    That play was ALL Mewelde.
    [/quote]

i just think that TJack seems like a quiet player and not a leader that this team needs.
    Everyone here knows the trouble we have had in the past and we need a true leader to hold this team together.
    I think that we lost Tomlin who was lets face it, the only good part of our defense.
    He ran the defense like we should run our team and if we forget what he taught them were done.
    Right now our leader for our offense is Matt Birk who else on the offense has been there for more than 4 years?
    think about it we have so many new faces that we need someone to take control.
    [/quote]

Jim Kleinsasser -
    I know he may not be who we'd want to look towards as a leader for the Offense...just answering your question.

Hawkeye23 is offline Starter

"renovikesfan" wrote:
    "Hawkeye23" wrote:
    "PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    [quote author=PurplePeopleEaters89 link=topic=33777.msg574032#msg574032 date=1178067692]
    [quote author=duvaldomo link=topic=33777.msg573195#msg573195 date=1177967327]
    we need a QB that can make plays and our depth chart for QB is full of suck and inexperience.
    Maybe we should have drafted a winner or signed a veteran QB in the offseason are QB with the most experience has started what like 20 games? BAH
    stop bashing Tjack, before this guy was a starter he did great and everyone wanted him to start. Now hes started bout what 3-4 ( I forgot) and now people dont want him. I think he just need(ed) some time, he will do good this year I think.
    i completely agree! Tjack was just thrown to the dogs at the end of the year. Brad didn't make any adjustments from their pocket passer (Brad Johnson) to their mobile newcomer (Tarvaris Jackson). I think if Tjack wants to have a good career with Minnesota then Brad Childress needs to start tweaking his offense to best suit Tjack's skills!

I watched his preseason games where he was able to get out of the pocket and make plays on the move. When i watched him sit back in the pocket and try to pass the ball he just seemed uncomfortable. the one play i remember the best is when he rolled out of the pocket and drew in a few defenders and lobbed the ball over their heads to Mewelde Moore on a screen play. Brad Childress needs to let him use his legs more to create big plays instead of sitting back in the pocket and throwing to his checkdown receivers.
    That play was ALL Mewelde.
    [/quote]

i just think that TJack seems like a quiet player and not a leader that this team needs.
    Everyone here knows the trouble we have had in the past and we need a true leader to hold this team together.
    I think that we lost Tomlin who was lets face it, the only good part of our defense.
    He ran the defense like we should run our team and if we forget what he taught them were done.
    Right now our leader for our offense is Matt Birk who else on the offense has been there for more than 4 years?
    think about it we have so many new faces that we need someone to take control.
    [/quote]

Jim Kleinsasser -
    I know he may not be who we'd want to look towards as a leader for the Offense...just answering your question.

[/quote]

well played sir, but my point was to express our need for some veteran leadership.
    We all know that a TE isn't a leader for a team.
    But, nevertheless, nicely played.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"Billy" wrote:
    "duvaldomo" wrote:
    "Hawkeye23" wrote:

He does have to learn to be a pocket quarterback sometime. You can't rely on moving around forever. What happens when you face a team like Carolina that has Julius Peppers on the outside? Or a team with two speed rushing defensive ends that can chase him from one sideline to the other?

Making plays with your legs is a great tool to have in your arsenal, but if he's not going to learn to sit in the pocket as a rookie, when is he going to learn? I don't want him turning into the next Vick with all athletic prowess and no quarterbacking ability.

Hell, I say make him Drew Bledsoe and nail his feet into the ground until he learns to stand in the pocket and deliver the football. THEN he can use his athleticism to compliment his passing game and be a complete quarterback, rather than just a scrambler.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

A lot of the problem with last year was receivers dropping passes regardless of the quarterback. If the QB has 3 seconds in the pocket and none of his receivers are getting seperation what can he do? Then the one chance he has to get the ball off his receivers drop it?

I like our receivers a bit better for next year so that may help. Not to mention our running game and (hopefully) our o-line will be improved. Tarvaris has a big arm and good legs.. It has yet to be seen if he can make the passes on target though. He showed flashes of being the next great one but also showed flashes of being the next bust.

I trust that Childress knows a lot more than I do on this subject and will be able to mold Tarvaris into a solid Quarterback for years to come. He's putting his entire coaching career on the line with this move so it better be a good one.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"Ltrey" wrote:
    "Billy" wrote:
    "duvaldomo" wrote:

He does have to learn to be a pocket quarterback sometime. You can't rely on moving around forever. What happens when you face a team like Carolina that has Julius Peppers on the outside? Or a team with two speed rushing defensive ends that can chase him from one sideline to the other?

Making plays with your legs is a great tool to have in your arsenal, but if he's not going to learn to sit in the pocket as a rookie, when is he going to learn? I don't want him turning into the next Vick with all athletic prowess and no quarterbacking ability.

Hell, I say make him Drew Bledsoe and nail his feet into the ground until he learns to stand in the pocket and deliver the football. THEN he can use his athleticism to compliment his passing game and be a complete quarterback, rather than just a scrambler.
    [/quote]

This he has to learn, and I think that it's what they are going to turn him into.

Now unfortunately I missed some of the last (Rams) game last season, as it were on frickin New Years eve, but from what I did see of it, they were trying to let him sit in that pocket. What he needs to be better on from the standard of that game is to relax a little when he is there, step around and make his reads.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Why does everyone insist that he isn't comfortable with being a pocket passer?

Heck most QB's looked uncomfortable standing in the pocket their first few games.
    I have also seen some pretty grizzled vets get a bit nervouse and fleet footed when the right DT or DE gets in their grill.

http://bamastatesports.cstv.com/spor...arvaris00.html
    2004: Jackson became only the second quarterback to pilot ASU to 10 wins in a season, earning Most Valuable Player awards in the Detroit Football Classic and SWAC Championship VI along the way. He led the conference in passing efficiency, was second in passing attempts, completions and yards, and fourth in touchdown passes...Was named SWAC Player of the Week after throwing for 219 yards and four touchdowns against Alcorn State...Finished the season third on the Hornets all-time list in passing yards (4,898) and total offense (5,709), behind only Ricky Jones and Darnell Kennedy.
    You don't get stats like those from running around all the time.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/jackson_tarvaris

He sees the entire field well, goes through his progressions and can still pick up for making small errors. He deals with deep safeties very well -- he looks them off and does a good job of going back to them at the last minute to make strong and accuracy throws.
    You don't make progressive reads, look safeties off while your running around.
    That is done by a passer, not a runner.

Point is, he is mobile, can move around in the pocket and pass on the run, but he has also demonstrated that he can pass out of the pocket and isn't a tuck it and run kindof guy.

At least from everything I have read on him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

Tjack is a stud..

i liked the moment we drafted him.. and i liked the first time i saw him toss it to JC down the side..

the kid will be great!! give him the time he needs to get ready.. and the team will
    benefit from his abilities, strengths, and hopefully wits.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234