Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Agent Time

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Free Agent Time

:cheers:

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

Gosh, I hope this isn't ANOTHER "rebuilding" year.

It's starting to feel like it.

Euphman06 is offline Asst. Coach

Witherspoon!! We have the money, we need that dominant linebacker! Say no to Leber...

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    Gosh, I hope this isn't ANOTHER "rebuilding" year.

It's starting to feel like it.

I hear ya PPE, with all the crap going on it feels like we will be getting a lot of new players and they will need time to gel and to learn the new schemes that the coaching staff will put in and the staff will have to get to know the players, it looks like a rebuilding year and not a serious run at the SuperBowl!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

It doesn't seem like the Vikes are going to make a big splash in free agency.. I hope I am wrong, but that is the way it looks. For example, we have the opportunity to get Edgerrin James, and all we hear about is Chester Taylor, and Maurice Morris. Doesn't sound like they are trying to upgrade the running game to much to me, if that is the case, keep MM as the starter and forget about signing any fa rb.

We haven't even talked about Paul Edinger and our K position. I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't heard the Vikes were going to make a push to resign Edinger, or go after Vinateri, Vandejagt, or Longwell. They better upgrade at that position, while Edinger is a good kicker he is no Vinateri, or Vanderjagt.

The LB position. The only thing I hear that the Vikes are going all out on is Ben Leber. What about Julian Peterson, or Will Witherspoon? That is another position they need to upgrade big time. What about safety? are they comfortable to hand the reigns over to Willie Offord? there are several good players in fa to go after, Hope, Archuletta, Dexter Jackson. I hope they upgrade there as well.

Doesn't make you feel real good when the only thing you are hearing for sure, is that the Vikes are going after all these second tier players. I hope they will shock us starting tonight, if not, we have no chance at the SB next season..

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Posted on Sat, Mar. 11, 2006

[size=18px]With $31.5 million purse,Vikings set to shop[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

With an NFL-high $31.5 million in salary-cap space, the Vikings are among the go-to teams for free agents.

The buzz around the league is that Minnesota could make an immediate splash, and the Vikings have been linked to nearly every high-profile player available. Although the team has been mum about its plans, possibilities include guard Steve Hutchinson and linebackers Ben Leber, Bart Scott, Julian Peterson and Will Witherspoon.

The Vikings also are still interested in retaining guard Toniu Fonoti, who is attracting interest elsewhere.

Vikings coach Brad Childress has made clear the value he places on the offensive and defensive lines. Hutchinson is considered the most dominant player available. But the Seattle Seahawks placed a transition tag on him, which gives them the right to match any offer from another club.

Other big-name players already have plans. Quarterback Drew Brees reportedly is visiting the New Orleans Saints first. Running back Edgerrin James is headed to Arizona for a visit. And Pro Bowl guard/center LeCharles Bentley is bound for Philadelphia.

Meanwhile, the Vikings finally granted cornerback Brian Williams the freedom he so badly wanted.

After the collective bargaining agreement ratification changed the terms of tenders, the Vikings opted to rescind their transition tag, which gave them the right to match any offer Williams received from another club. Now, Williams is an unrestricted free agent.

"He appreciated the opportunity to play for the Vikings for four years, and he looks forward to moving on," agent Jordan Feagan said. "There are some teams that won't touch a guy that has a tag. Period. So it means more teams could potentially be involved in the process."

Feagan said he didn't know which teams would pursue Williams but that they could move quickly in free agency.

Late audible: Receiver Nate Burleson, a restricted free agent, recently parted with agent Jack Scharf, citing "philosophical differences," according to Scharf.

"Nate Burleson is a great athlete, as well as a classy human being," Scharf said. "Unfortunately, we mutually decided to part ways, and I wish him and the Burleson family all the success in the world."

Burleson could not be reached for comment.

Burleson is believed to be working with a new agent, who could be busy very quickly.

The Vikings essentially invited suitors of Burleson by placing the lowest qualifying offer on him. If another team signs him and the Vikings do not match the deal, the Vikings would receive a third-round draft pick as compensation.

Briefly: Free-agent defensive end Lance Johnstone did not rule out the possibility of returning to Minnesota.

"The Vikings are definitely an option," said Johnstone, who had 7.5 sacks last season. "I like the guys (on the defensive line), and I wouldn't have a problem coming back at all."

With $31.5 million purse,Vikings set to shop

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

"singersp" wrote:
    Posted on Sat, Mar. 11, 2006

[size=18px]With $31.5 million purse,Vikings set to shop[/size]

BY SEAN JENSEN
    Pioneer Press

With an NFL-high $31.5 million in salary-cap space, the Vikings are among the go-to teams for free agents.

The buzz around the league is that Minnesota could make an immediate splash, and the Vikings have been linked to nearly every high-profile player available. Although the team has been mum about its plans, possibilities include guard Steve Hutchinson and linebackers Ben Leber, Bart Scott, Julian Peterson and Will Witherspoon.

The Vikings also are still interested in retaining guard Toniu Fonoti, who is attracting interest elsewhere.

Vikings coach Brad Childress has made clear the value he places on the offensive and defensive lines. Hutchinson is considered the most dominant player available. But the Seattle Seahawks placed a transition tag on him, which gives them the right to match any offer from another club.

Other big-name players already have plans. Quarterback Drew Brees reportedly is visiting the New Orleans Saints first. Running back Edgerrin James is headed to Arizona for a visit. And Pro Bowl guard/center LeCharles Bentley is bound for Philadelphia.

Meanwhile, the Vikings finally granted cornerback Brian Williams the freedom he so badly wanted.

After the collective bargaining agreement ratification changed the terms of tenders, the Vikings opted to rescind their transition tag, which gave them the right to match any offer Williams received from another club. Now, Williams is an unrestricted free agent.

"He appreciated the opportunity to play for the Vikings for four years, and he looks forward to moving on," agent Jordan Feagan said. "There are some teams that won't touch a guy that has a tag. Period. So it means more teams could potentially be involved in the process."

Feagan said he didn't know which teams would pursue Williams but that they could move quickly in free agency.

Late audible: Receiver Nate Burleson, a restricted free agent, recently parted with agent Jack Scharf, citing "philosophical differences," according to Scharf.

"Nate Burleson is a great athlete, as well as a classy human being," Scharf said. "Unfortunately, we mutually decided to part ways, and I wish him and the Burleson family all the success in the world."

Burleson could not be reached for comment.

Burleson is believed to be working with a new agent, who could be busy very quickly.

The Vikings essentially invited suitors of Burleson by placing the lowest qualifying offer on him. If another team signs him and the Vikings do not match the deal, the Vikings would receive a third-round draft pick as compensation.

Briefly: Free-agent defensive end Lance Johnstone did not rule out the possibility of returning to Minnesota.

"The Vikings are definitely an option," said Johnstone, who had 7.5 sacks last season. "I like the guys (on the defensive line), and I wouldn't have a problem coming back at all."

With $31.5 million purse,Vikings set to shop
    come on lets bring in james and brees PLEASE and talk to them

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12