canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

Free Agency Question

I looked through the boards and didn't see another thread like this. I was wondering if we would get any compensation draft picks if any of our free agnets were signed by other teams.

I'm not really clear on the rules for the rules for this, but I'm sure someone on here is - I remember last year I read that if Brian Williams was signed we would have gotten an extra first rounder.

Anybody know what the case is this year?

Thanks PPE for the sig.

Re: Free Agency Question

I think Nate Burleson is the only restricted free agent on the roster. I don't know what the compensation pick would be if he signed elsewhere.

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    I looked through the boards and didn't see another thread like this. I was wondering if we would get any compensation draft picks if any of our free agnets were signed by other teams.

I'm not really clear on the rules for the rules for this, but I'm sure someone on here is - I remember last year I read that if Brian Williams was signed we would have gotten an extra first rounder.

I don't know the exact specifics, but teams get draft picks as compensation for FA's they lose. If you lose a lot of good players or starters, the league will give you say a pick at the end of the 4th round or so, but never an early round pick. I believe the B-Will thing was because he was a RFA and we gave him the highest tender, forcing teams to give up a 1st rounder for him. By comparison, we only offered Brian Russell the low level tender as a RFA and he left without us getting any picks as compensation.

"MnFan_in_Canada" wrote:
    I think Nate Burleson is the only restricted free agent on the roster. I don't know what the compensation pick would be if he signed elsewhere.

It depends on what kind of tender we offer Burleson. I'm sure it will be the high level tendor, forcing teams to give up a 1st rounder to sign him away from us, and that is only if we don't match their offer for him.

aceclown is offline Coach

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:

I don't know the exact specifics, but teams get draft picks as compensation for FA's they lose. If you lose a lot of good players or starters, the league will give you say a pick at the end of the 4th round or so, but never an early round pick. I believe the B-Will thing was because he was a RFA and we gave him the highest tender, forcing teams to give up a 1st rounder for him. By comparison, we only offered Brian Russell the low level tender as a RFA and he left without us getting any picks as compensation.
    Teams do not get draft picks for losing UFA's, no matter how many they lose. The player must be a RFA for the team to get draft compensation.

Chuch.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

So if guys like Bennett and Johnstone leave we will get compensation mid-round picks even though they are unrestricted?

Thanks PPE for the sig.

"aceclown" wrote:
    "muchluv4smoot" wrote:

Teams do not get draft picks for losing UFA's, no matter how many they lose. The player must be a RFA for the team to get draft compensation.

Has nothing to do with restricted or unrestricted FA's.

http://steelers.scout.com/2/361988.html

Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four. The 32 compensatory choices announced today will supplement the 223 choices in the seven rounds of the 2005 NFL Draft (April 23-24). This year, the compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.
    Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

An example from a few years back:

"Instead, Tampa Bay's three new draft picks come in the seventh round as compensatory picks allocated by the NFL's Management Council for the Bucs' losses in free agency last year. In the spring of 2001, the Bucs lost starting guard Frank Middleton, starting free safety Damien Robinson, tight end Patrick Hape, defensive lineman Tyoka Jackson and linebacker Don Davis, but only signed two free agents -- quarterback Brad Johnson and defensive end Simeon Rice. Because the team lost more free agents than they gained, Tampa Bay was awarded three seventh-round picks (numbers 250, 254 and 255).

There is a formula that helps determine which teams get compensatory picks, how many and in what round (from the third through the seventh) they will receive the picks. But aside from the formula that the league uses, the NFL Management Council also uses subjective reasoning to help determine the recipients of the compensatory picks."

I found this. Perhaps it will help.

http://www.legalmatch.com/law-library/article/nfl-free-agency.html

Compensatory picks actually come from FA's that teams lost the previous season, so the FA's would have played a season for their new team. We didn't lose any good FA's last year and signed a ton of good ones, so we won't get any compensatory picks in this draft. The FA's we lose this off-season and sign this off-season, will determine the compensatory picks we get for the 2007 draft.

Only picks we could get for the 2006 draft, is if our RFA's are signed to an offer sheet by another team and we don't match them, provided we don't give them the low level tenders.