Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re: Fred Davis (2nd Round)

Here is Shank's stats from my FFL...I'd give you a link, but it won't help since you're not involved, but it is on cbssports.com

Targt Recpt Yd Avg TD FL FPTS

43 27 323 12.0 1 1 32.0

He was the 30th TE in the league in Targets.
    In other words, 29 other TEs got more balls thrown to them.
    We all know that TJack wasn't very accurate this year, so many of those misses weren't Shanks fault.
    Sure, some he dropped.
    One, was freaking stolen from him in Kansas City...and a TD to boot!
    27/43 is 62.8% completions.
    That isn't terrible.
    IMHO, Shank has pretty good hands, he just needed a year in our system...

Given our weird, combo zone/man blocking scheme, and how our boys finally started improving executing it about a third to a half of the way through their second season utilizing it, I think that Shank, and Wade and Rice and Fergie too for that matter, will be more comfortable in it next year.
    Also, assuming and Hoping that our OLine keeps improving its grasp of the scheme, we should be able to give Shank a few more chances next year.

Add all that up with the youth we have in Mills, the blocking we have in Kleiny, and the versatility that earned Dugan a 3 year extension last year, and it looks to me like we are pretty set at that position.

If Davis falls to our pick in the 2nd, and he is BPA, sure I'd be all for it, BUT, I am more concerned about FB, and what Tony Richardson will be doing next year.
    Moving Mills might not be a bad idea, but I'm guessing that the team is pretty happy with Dugan and Tahi.
    Too bad Owen Schmidt got hurt and couldn't play in the Senior bowl, I wanted to see him in action.
    Maybe, a bad mofo FB is what we need in the 2nd...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Here is Shank's stats from my FFL...I'd give you a link, but it won't help since you're not involved, but it is on cbssports.com

Targt Recpt Yd Avg TD FL FPTS

43 27 323 12.0 1 1 32.0

He was the 30th TE in the league in Targets.
    In other words, 29 other TEs got more balls thrown to them.
    We all know that TJack wasn't very accurate this year, so many of those misses weren't Shanks fault.
    Sure, some he dropped.
    One, was freaking stolen from him in Kansas City...and a TD to boot!
    27/43 is 62.8% completions.
    That isn't terrible.
    IMHO, Shank has pretty good hands, he just needed a year in our system...

Given our weird, combo zone/man blocking scheme, and how our boys finally started improving executing it about a third to a half of the way through their second season utilizing it, I think that Shank, and Wade and Rice and Fergie too for that matter, will be more comfortable in it next year.
    Also, assuming and Hoping that our OLine keeps improving its grasp of the scheme, we should be able to give Shank a few more chances next year.

Add all that up with the youth we have in Mills, the blocking we have in Kleiny, and the versatility that earned Dugan a 3 year extension last year, and it looks to me like we are pretty set at that position.

If Davis falls to our pick in the 2nd, and he is BPA, sure I'd be all for it, BUT, I am more concerned about FB, and what Tony Richardson will be doing next year.
    Moving Mills might not be a bad idea, but I'm guessing that the team is pretty happy with Dugan and Tahi.
    Too bad Owen Schmidt got hurt and couldn't play in the Senior bowl, I wanted to see him in action.
    Maybe, a bad mofo FB is what we need in the 2nd...?
    Excellent post my friend.
    Excellent post indeed.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

"OchoCinco" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "OchoCinco" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "jessejames09" wrote:
    Quote From: Marrdro
    TE's were used exclusively for blocking last year
    So thats why Shank-dog 'blocked' all those passes this year.
    He did drop a couple of key ones, however, you got my point though.

I think we will see alot more use of the TE's in the passing scheme next year as the staff opens things up a bit more based on the experience the OL, QB got this year.
    Agreed... look for Garret Mills to be a bigger part of the offense, I think this kid could be a Dallas Clark or Chris Cooley type playmaker, I think tht's probaly why the Patriots were so pissed we snapped him up. I don't think Shankdog is the answer although I think he will have a role......
    My worry about Mills is his size.
    He isn't your prototypical kindof TE.
    When he is put in, it will be kindof a "Tell"/"Indicator" that we will be passing allowing for the D to key on pass.

I would really like to see the staff move him to a FB type of role that his body size is more suited for.

He could block/chip and then slip out into the seams/flats without giving the play away.

49 Tony Richardson RB 36 6-1 238 13 Auburn
    45 Garrett Mills TE 24 6-1 235 2 Tulsa
    47 Chris Cooley TE 25 6-3 249 4 Utah State
    44 Dallas Clark TE 28 6-3 252 5 Iowa

I don't think 2 inches and 10 lbs makes a big deal, I think it about heart and desire. If a guy can play, he will do so and succeed if he desires to do so. I saw more from the TE position in the little time he played then I did all season from Shank, Kleinsausage & Dugan. You can't deny talent.
    Two inches not so much. But. Ten pounds of muscle (by looking at Clark and Cooley it probably is) is a whole different world. I do believe heart and desire can compensate for some short commings, but it may not be able to help so much in this case.

grpape is offline Asst. Coach

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "grpape" wrote:
    How do you really know that he is better than all our TEs? Has he EVEN played a down in the NFL? You can have a man crush on anyone you like, but you can't make a statement like that without seeing him in real NFL time. He just might be better than anything we have, but to eat Shank's contract and use a high pick on this guy would be premature IMO. Let things roll another year and see what Shank can do with another off season under his belt. Heck try and sign the ex-Eagle, but use the high draft pick on a DL,OL,S, not on a position we addressed last season.
    Were the hell have you been lately? Haven't seen you stick your head up for
    awhile or have I just been missing your stuff?

;D

You know what it is like this time of year.
    Everyone has thier favorite college player they like and will defend them/him to the death.

Because I dont' follow college ball much, I don't look at players the same way as most do.
    Truth be told, I am probably missing the mark with respect to the talent of said players, but if IMHO the team doesnt' need a guy at that position I don't pay attention to them.

For that reason I kindof raise thier ire sometimes when I dont' agree with thier assesments no matter how good the kid is.

By the way. Excellent post.
    Need to see a bit more of ya.
    i think you have misunderstood me somewhat... while i did say Davis was better than anyone we have.. which your right in that he hasn't played a down yet, so technically be better, but c'mon let's not fool ourselves.. i'm not against our TE's.. they're alright... but Davis IMO is definitely an upgrade..

However, I don't and didn't say i wanted him in the first round or even second.. what i said was if he's of good value or BPA then i wouldn't be totally bummed if we picked him because i can see him helping us.

on another hand, someone made a good point in picking Cottam from Tenn... I wouldn't mind taking him either..

I just think we need options in the passing game, and whether that comes via the draft through a TE or a WR.. then sobeit..

If shank could catch then i'd be all for him.. but the thing is.. you can't drop TD passes or critical passes in game situations... just like Twill.. yes he made catches but also dropped alot of passes... but the thing that magnified his ineptitude was the fact that he dropped very easy catches and at critical points in the game.. i.e. TD's, 3rd's etc...

We can see a similar trait in Shank... whether due to lack of concentration or whatever... but i'll admit he's no way near as bad as Twill.. i'd say about 33% as bad though..
    I understand what you are saying. But. How can you judge or think that Davis can or is better than the TEs we have? You really can't until he has played in the NFL. Everything and everyone is a crap shot (Ryan Leaf) ;D. I'm just saying, IMO, that the pick would be better utilized on another position.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

If Davis is available in the second, that would be a Godsend to the Vikings.
    He is the only TE worthy of a first round pick this year.
    IMO he has a good chance of being the next Gates.
    If he is not there in the second, I'm all for getting Carlson or Cottam in the third/fourth.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer

Fred Davis would be a huge pick for us imo.
    I have said it before and i will say it again, if we had a tight end that could pull a linebacker and or a safety out of the box it will only make it easier for AP.

And Fred Davis is that kind of tight end.

NodakPaul understands.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

I too would like to see him drafted by the Vikes.
    He is not worth a #17 and wont be there for our 2nd.
    If there isn't good value at 17 i would like to see the vikes trade down to early second or late first and grab him.
    That would be a good way to pick up an additional second or third and then possibly be able to move up in the second again.
    Getting three players in the top half of the second round could lead to a great draft!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"thepacksux" wrote:
    If there isn't good value at 17 i would like to see the vikes trade down to early second or late first and grab him.
    That would be a good way to pick up an additional second or third and then possibly be able to move up in the second again.
    Getting three players in the top half of the second round could lead to a great draft!
    I am not sure that we will trade down in the first round but I like the way you are thinking.

I look to see ole Rickmiester Spielmen make a big move this year.
    Might be in the FA market or in the draft.

Kindof a "Putting My Stamp" on this team kindof deal.

We have the money, extra picks and a very talent young group of players to work with.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:
    I am not sure that we will trade down in the first round but I like the way you are thinking.

I look to see ole Rickmiester Spielmen make a big move this year.
    Might be in the FA market or in the draft.

Kindof a "Putting My Stamp" on this team kindof deal.

We have the money, extra picks and a very talent young group of players to work with.
    Lets hope it is a better stamp than the last one that was put on this team by a defacto GM.
    Of course i am referring to the Ryan Cook stamp.
    Not saying he is a bad player, but i am sure you all remember what went on with that whole deal.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456