Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Frazier not buying lockout will cripple vikes

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2011/06/09/leslie-frazier-minnesota-vikings-nfl-lockout-christian-ponder-ray-edwards-adrian-peterson-joe-webb/

Frazier joined KFAN in Minneapolis to talk about just how frustrating it’s been for him to not be able to get to work with his team following the encouraging finish to last season, if he agrees that teams like the Vikings and others around the league that are implementing new schemes and breaking in new coaches will be the one’s most affected by the lockout, if there’s a cutoff date in his mind where a normal training camp away from Minneapolis would be in serious jeopardy, why he thinks there’s limited value to players-only voluntary workouts during the lockout, why he’s still thrilled that his guys are trying to stay busy and active throughout the labor impasse, why he’s impressed but not surprised that rookie first round QB Christian Ponder tried to get a group together in his native Florida, how the Vikings aren’t interested in signing a veteran free agent QB that would arrive thinking they had the No. 1 job locked up, how that philosophy is a reflection of the confidence he has in Ponder and Joe Webb, how the complimentary parts around whoever wins the QB competition are dangerous enough to make Minnesota a contender in the NFC North, why he doesn’t believe Ray Edwards’ future in Minnesota is necessarily coming to an end despite Edwards’ recent comments, and how he hopes that he and his coaching staff can get away soon after putting in some hard work recently getting prepared for all types of different scenarios for training camp and the 2011 season.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Frazier not buying lockout will cripple vikes

Without naming names, is it accurate to say that based on his quotes this offseason, it doesn’t appear that he’s interested in bringing in a veteran QB that would arrive thinking they’d be the No. 1 QB in 2011 without having to fight for it:

“That’s exactly how I’m looking at it. I want to give Christian and Joe Webb — along with Rhett [Bomar] — every opportunity to compete for that starting job. And any veteran, were we to go that route, that signed with us, he’d have to understand that. That’s the approach we want to take. We want to make sure we do it right and do right by our young guys. That’s the approach that I’d like to be able to take.
    Why wouldn't he be able to take any approach that he wants? He is the head coach.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1098577
    Without naming names, is it accurate to say that based on his quotes this offseason, it doesn’t appear that he’s interested in bringing in a veteran QB that would arrive thinking they’d be the No. 1 QB in 2011 without having to fight for it:

“That’s exactly how I’m looking at it. I want to give Christian and Joe Webb — along with Rhett [Bomar] — every opportunity to compete for that starting job. And any veteran, were we to go that route, that signed with us, he’d have to understand that. That’s the approach we want to take. We want to make sure we do it right and do right by our young guys. That’s the approach that I’d like to be able to take.
    Why wouldn't he be able to take any approach that he wants? He is the head coach.
    Sure, but its not his decision alone when acquiring players. Moreover he has no control on when the league year starts. A rookie and 2nd year 2 game starter is no way to go into a league year when you have no OTA or TCs time.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "seaniemck7" #1098580

Sure, but its not his decision alone when acquiring players. Moreover he has no control on when the league year starts. A rookie and 2nd year 2 game starter is no way to go into a league year when you have no OTA or TCs time.
    He very well could have been thinking that a shortened prep time may force him to go with a vet, but his words came across as contradictory to the preceding statements. Pretty easy to imply that he doesn't have the ultimate say in how he treats the starting qB job...maybe he doesn't.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1098583

He very well could have been thinking that a shortened prep time may force him to go with a vet, but his words came across as contradictory to the preceding statements. Pretty easy to imply that he doesn't have the ultimate say in how he treats the starting qB job...maybe he doesn't.
    I read it more as a reflection that the opportunity to take that path may not be there because the Vet QB with the right attitude may not present himself.

After all, McNabb won't come here to "compete"...that let's us know that Leslie isn't looking at Donovan. I doubt that Hasselback would want to "compete" either...sort of leaves him out too. And Carson Palmer - if Cinci finally lets him walk - certainly won't want to compete.

So, essentially, Leslie is eliminating proven starters from his list...which may bite him in the ass, much as it bit Chiller.

As of right now, there are a handful of UFA QB's with starting experience who aren't necessarily 1st string material anymore. We'll see how things shake out once the labor dispute ends, but it will be interesting to see if Leslie brings in a viable talent to push Ponder, or if he sandbags it like Chiller did with Jackson.

Caine

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098585
    Quote Originally Posted by "tastywaves" #1098583

I read it more as a reflection that the opportunity to take that path may not be there because the Vet QB with the right attitude may not present himself.

After all, McNabb won't come here to "compete"...that let's us know that Leslie isn't looking at Donovan. I doubt that Hasselback would want to "compete" either...sort of leaves him out too. And Carson Palmer - if Cinci finally lets him walk - certainly won't want to compete.

So, essentially, Leslie is eliminating proven starters from his list...which may bite him in the ass, much as it bit Chiller.

As of right now, there are a handful of UFA QB's with starting experience who aren't necessarily 1st string material anymore. We'll see how things shake out once the labor dispute ends, but it will be interesting to see if Leslie brings in a viable talent to push Ponder, or if he sandbags it like Chiller did with Jackson.

Caine
    Leslie has two shiny, strong, wild, and fast untrained stallions, one of which, he'd like to ride to superbowl glory. But just in case he falls off, he would like to have an old swayback to ride.

His quotes regarding bringing in a vet have been confusing at best.

He would like to play a young guy, and always remembers to mention Webb when talking about Ponder. But would also like to bring in a vet to compete.

Is he lieing to himself or does he think he is going to spark some great QB competition?

I would rather he bring in a starting vet for Ponder and Webb to learn under for a year or two, or alternatively, set the QB position up as a competition between Ponder and Webb, and say we are bringing in a vet to back them up.

What he says about the QB position is just confusing.

The other thing in this thread; the head coach has no say, that's funny.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Frazier not buying lockout will cripple Vikes
    If he can't see it, perhaps we need a coach that does.

New scheme

New coaches

New playbook, that few have seen.

A rookie QB with zero playing/practice experience with his team.

No veteran QB with considerable game experience on the roster.

Possibly no minicamps or training camps prior to the start of the season.

Rice & an underated Leber more than likely gone.

There's a lot of work to be done before we can be serious contenders.

Anybody who thinks that these issues won't cripple us for the beginning of the season needs to remove the purple shades, Frazier included.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1098591

New scheme

New coaches

Anybody who thinks that these issues won't cripple us for the beginning of the season needs to remove the purple shades, Frazier included.
    Amen.

But be careful. posts like that are gonna get you labeled as a 'negative nancy'.

How dare you not speak perfectly about the Vikings!?

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098598

New scheme

New coaches

Amen.

But be careful. posts like that are gonna get you labeled as a 'negative nancy'.

Nah...that label is reserved for people who don't think Ray Edwards will be a boxing phenom...

Caine

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1098600
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1098598

New scheme

New coaches

Amen.

Nah...that label is reserved for people who don't think Ray Edwards will be a boxing phenom...

Caine
    I got that label for disagreeing with Marrdro's looney assessment of our team.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast