Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21
    seaniemck7's Avatar
    seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Posts
    1,453

    Re: Frazier to Interview for Fins Job

    "ejmat" wrote:
    I wouldn't worry so much about Frazier getting the HC job in Miami. Sparano will more than likely get the job because of his ties with Parcells and Ireland.
    Frazier was brought in as the 1 minority coach in which by rule has to be done.
    Sad to say but true.

    I think Frazier will still be with the Vikes next year which is a good thing.
    Add a little consistency for once and maybe the defense will be dominate like it once was.
    The Vikes should do their best to keep Frazier however I know he will not be with the team for long unless next year Wilf fires Chilly and Frazier gets the job.
    I don't see it that way. One day I hope the Rooney Rule is completely unnecessary.
    That being said, the interview process is extremely important in getting hired as an NFL HC.
    Having success as a coordinator has a lot of variables like player talent, schedule, division, location, the color of you game day socks, etc. Sitting with Front Office Types and Ownership telling your story is how you get hired.
    Tomlin was hired because he is one of the most fired up, engaging, and charismatic guys in football.
    That comes out in the interview.


    You are either good in those situations or you can improve in those situations.
    The only way to improve is to do it more than once.
    Look at Ron Rivera last year.
    I heard he was terrible in the interview process.
    How many HC jobs was he considered for?
    How did end up being a position coach?


    I think going through the interview process not only allows for minorities to network (as PFT mentioned), but also get invaluable experience.
    JMHO.

  2. #22
    thepacksux's Avatar
    thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    580

    Re: Frazier to Interview for Fins Job

    I know this is just to satisfy the Rooney rule but even if he did leave i would not be heartbroken.
    He has not done anything special with our defense.
    Any one of the current assistants on the defensive staff could at the very least keep our defense where it currently is.
    That, however, is not good enough.
    We need a solid improvement in pass defense and as we all know some of that definitely lies in personel.

  3. #23
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,605
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Frazier to Interview for Fins Job

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    I wouldn't worry so much about Frazier getting the HC job in Miami. Sparano will more than likely get the job because of his ties with Parcells and Ireland.
    Frazier was brought in as the 1 minority coach in which by rule has to be done.
    Sad to say but true.

    I think Frazier will still be with the Vikes next year which is a good thing.
    Add a little consistency for once and maybe the defense will be dominate like it once was.
    The Vikes should do their best to keep Frazier however I know he will not be with the team for long unless next year Wilf fires Chilly and Frazier gets the job.
    I don't see it that way. One day I hope the Rooney Rule is completely unnecessary.
    That being said, the interview process is extremely important in getting hired as an NFL HC.
    Having success as a coordinator has a lot of variables like player talent, schedule, division, location, the color of you game day socks, etc. Sitting with Front Office Types and Ownership telling your story is how you get hired.
    Tomlin was hired because he is one of the most fired up, engaging, and charismatic guys in football.
    That comes out in the interview.


    You are either good in those situations or you can improve in those situations.
    The only way to improve is to do it more than once.
    Look at Ron Rivera last year.
    I heard he was terrible in the interview process.
    How many HC jobs was he considered for?
    How did end up being a position coach?


    I think going through the interview process not only allows for minorities to network (as PFT mentioned), but also get invaluable experience.
    JMHO.
    The Rooney rule is good on paper, but poor in practice.
    Look at what happens every time a minority coach is brought in for an interview - they are automatically attributed to the Rooney rule.
    This undermines the potential coach from the beginning.
    Especially when teams already have a specific candidate in mind.

    I think a better rule would be to force teams to interview no less than 6 candidates for each HC position.
    I would call this the NodakPaul rule. By simple odds a minority candidate will most likely be in the group because of the limited number of qulaified candidates out there.
    If not, life goes on.
    This way candidates brought in are not being interviewed solely because of their ethnicity.
    Yes, there are sure to be some candidates who are brought in simply to satisfy the NP rule, but they won't be as easily identifiable as the ones brought in just to satisfy the Rooney rule...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  4. #24
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,538

    Re: Frazier to Interview for Fins Job

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I find it funny that Minnesota lets all these great coaches get picked up by other teams... and yet the Vikes stick with Chilly. Baffling.
    Only to you and a select few my friend.
    How are you today.
    ;D
    I'm quite well, and yourself?

    Like I said before, we need to hire Gordon Bombay.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  5. #25
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Frazier to Interview for Fins Job

    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I find it funny that Minnesota lets all these great coaches get picked up by other teams... and yet the Vikes stick with Chilly. Baffling.
    Only to you and a select few my friend.
    How are you today.

    ;D
    I'm quite well, and yourself?

    Like I said before, we need to hire Gordon Bombay.
    Why not Gordon Ramsey?

    THe results would be near the same, but he'd be far more entertaining.

  6. #26
    C Mac D's Avatar
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    13,538

    Re: Frazier to Interview for Fins Job

    "Webby" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I find it funny that Minnesota lets all these great coaches get picked up by other teams... and yet the Vikes stick with Chilly. Baffling.
    Only to you and a select few my friend.
    How are you today.
    ;D
    I'm quite well, and yourself?

    Like I said before, we need to hire Gordon Bombay.
    Why not Gordon Ramsey?

    The results would be near the same, but he'd be far more entertaining.
    I bet he'd make a GREAT coach, but we need the Flying-V.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

  7. #27
    AngloVike's Avatar
    AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Sandhurst, UK
    Posts
    6,784
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Frazier to Interview for Fins Job

    "Webby" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I find it funny that Minnesota lets all these great coaches get picked up by other teams... and yet the Vikes stick with Chilly. Baffling.
    Only to you and a select few my friend.
    How are you today.
    ;D
    I'm quite well, and yourself?

    Like I said before, we need to hire Gordon Bombay.
    Why not Gordon Ramsey?

    THe results would be near the same, but he'd be far more entertaining.
    How about "Celebrity Job Swop" - see Ramsey bawl out Williamson for yet another dropped catch whilst Childress hides in a restaurant with a menu covering his mouth as he calls out the customer orders..... " table 4 plain vanilla, table 7 plain vanilla..."
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...


  8. #28
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Frazier to Interview for Fins Job

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    I wouldn't worry so much about Frazier getting the HC job in Miami. Sparano will more than likely get the job because of his ties with Parcells and Ireland.
    Frazier was brought in as the 1 minority coach in which by rule has to be done.
    Sad to say but true.

    I think Frazier will still be with the Vikes next year which is a good thing.
    Add a little consistency for once and maybe the defense will be dominate like it once was.
    The Vikes should do their best to keep Frazier however I know he will not be with the team for long unless next year Wilf fires Chilly and Frazier gets the job.
    I don't see it that way. One day I hope the Rooney Rule is completely unnecessary.
    That being said, the interview process is extremely important in getting hired as an NFL HC.
    Having success as a coordinator has a lot of variables like player talent, schedule, division, location, the color of you game day socks, etc. Sitting with Front Office Types and Ownership telling your story is how you get hired.
    Tomlin was hired because he is one of the most fired up, engaging, and charismatic guys in football.
    That comes out in the interview.


    You are either good in those situations or you can improve in those situations.
    The only way to improve is to do it more than once.
    Look at Ron Rivera last year.
    I heard he was terrible in the interview process.
    How many HC jobs was he considered for?
    How did end up being a position coach?


    I think going through the interview process not only allows for minorities to network (as PFT mentioned), but also get invaluable experience.
    JMHO.
    The Rooney rule is good on paper, but poor in practice.
    Look at what happens every time a minority coach is brought in for an interview - they are automatically attributed to the Rooney rule.
    This undermines the potential coach from the beginning.

    Especially when teams already have a specific candidate in mind.

    I think a better rule would be to force teams to interview no less than 6 candidates for each HC position.
    I would call this the NodakPaul rule. By simple odds a minority candidate will most likely be in the group because of the limited number of qulaified candidates out there.
    If not, life goes on.
    This way candidates brought in are not being interviewed solely because of their ethnicity.
    Yes, there are sure to be some candidates who are brought in simply to satisfy the NP rule, but they won't be as easily identifiable as the ones brought in just to satisfy the Rooney rule...
    I agree that it is a rule that really needs to be looked at and hope someday it is unnecessary.
    Coaches should be looked at if they are the best people for the job.
    I understand why the rule was put into effect so everyone gets a fair chance to interview but that shouldn't be because of race, creed, sex, age, etc...
    It should be because they are the best for the job no matter what the origin.

    Really the only solution I see that's fair is having a certain amount you must interview such as the 6 that NP stated.
    The fact is if a person is a good coach the professional owners and front office personnel from other teams will notice that and want that person coaching for their respective teams.
    Thus, giving an opportunity for such personnel.
    The good news is such coaches as Dungy, Smith, Lewis, Crennel, Green, and others have really helped the situation by their abilites and success.
    Let's hope this doesn't have to be an issue any longer.

  9. #29
    Webby's Avatar
    Webby is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Aug 1998
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    8,976
    Blog Entries
    6

    Re: Frazier to Interview for Fins Job

    "AngloVike" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    I find it funny that Minnesota lets all these great coaches get picked up by other teams... and yet the Vikes stick with Chilly. Baffling.
    Only to you and a select few my friend.
    How are you today.

    ;D
    I'm quite well, and yourself?

    Like I said before, we need to hire Gordon Bombay.
    Why not Gordon Ramsey?

    THe results would be near the same, but he'd be far more entertaining.
    How about "Celebrity Job Swop" - see Ramsey bawl out Williamson for yet another dropped catch whilst Childress hies in a restaurant with a menu covering his mouth as he calls out the customer orders..... " table 4 plain vanilla, table 7 plain vanilla..."

    HA!!!!!!!!
    I damn near spit pop out my nose!
    "vanilla, vanilla, vanilla"
    LMAO LMAO

  10. #30
    Garland Greene's Avatar
    Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    6,170

    Frazier to interview for the Dolphins

    I was surprised this was missed unless I really missed it when searching

    Don't know if he has a good chance for this or not but that woud be a very huge blow for the Defense if he left.

    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/13155856.html

    Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier will begin interviewing Monday night for the Miami Dolphins' head coaching job.

    Frazier is one of two known candidates the Dolphins have scheduled for interviews to replace Cam Cameron, whom they fired Thursday. Miami officials will speak with Dallas assistant Tony Sparano today.

    Frazier has no professional ties to the Dolphins' front office, which includes executive vice president Bill Parcells and General Manager Jeff Ireland. However, Ireland was a ball boy for the Chicago Bears during the mid-1980s when Frazier was a player there.

    Meanwhile, the team that requested permission to speak with Vikings defensive backs coach Joe Woods was the Detroit Lions. As of Friday, however, the Lions' only opening was a defensive assistant job for which Woods would be unlikely to leave.


Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bills to interview Frazier tomorrow
    By marstc09 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 12:50 PM
  2. (Merged) Vikes Interview Frazier for DC Position.
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-07-2007, 01:43 PM
  3. Capers to Fins as DC
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2006, 11:18 PM
  4. T-Ho to Fins?
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-20-2006, 12:03 AM
  5. Filet the Fins
    By vikes2456 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-17-2002, 12:20 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •