Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Frazier has plenty to work with

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Very nice read my friend.

On top of the color coordination, Allen's skills as a pass rusher will make life much easier on an overworked secondary that often had to cover receivers for five or even six seconds last season, a lifetime in today's NFL.
    Were are the yutz's who argued with me a few months ago that no QB gets that much time in the pocket? ;D

Now Frazier won't have to call as many blitzes from his linebackers, allowing Chad Greenway, E.J. Henderson and Ben Leber to drop back into coverage and plug some of the holes down the field that Brett Favre, Todd Collins and Donovan McNabb found so easily last season.
    Which is exactly what the LB'rs are supposed to do in this scheme.
    Of course the Blitz Blitz Blitz crew isn't gonna like it when the LB'rs are dropping back into thier zones and taking away the short slants.
    ;D

For now, Frazier is using these "organized team activities" to introduce the new faces to the established core and get everyone comfortable with each other.

"All the teams I've been on that were very successful, that was the intangible that really got us over the top," Frazier said. "Whether it was in Indianapolis when we won a Super Bowl or in Chicago when we won a Super Bowl, we had great chemistry in the locker room, not just talent.

So the OTAs give you a chance to develop that, also to find out a little bit about your teammates." ___
    And thus the reason everyone (no matter how long they have been in the league) should be there.
    :
    And here is a top secret video that I hacked from the OTA's which conclusively demonstrates that indeed they are promoting chemistry and soul searching during this part of the season. This is a can't fail video.
    [youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BhY1fxQXa3A&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/youtube]
    Thats some funny shit right thar.
    ;D

Seriously though, we are damn close to getting someplace this year.
    I would think that every player, especially the Vets, would realize this and do everything in thier power to promote the "Team" concept cause thats what it is gonna take to get it done this year.

Again, I am a huge Birk fan, but I find his lack of attendance a bit disturbing, just as I did with Whinny last year.

Paint me silly, and disagree with me all you want, but your not gonna change my mind.
    I expect the Vets to act like leaders, especially a guy of Birks stature on this team.
    I see it the other way. I am glad Birk was gone because it gave some backups valuable time with the first team putting in reps and preparing like they were starters. At this point that is the best thing that can happen with the young guys. During camp Birk will be back and those guys will be with the scrub unit again but will be better for their opportunity during OTA's.

We might be close to getting somewhere, but one or 2 injuries to the OL and the season will be toast without experienced backups. I want to know going into the season that if disaster strikes and we lose a Birk or god forbid Hutch, that we can plug in another player and keep chugging along.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    I see it the other way. I am glad Birk was gone because it gave some backups valuable time with the first team putting in reps and preparing like they were starters. At this point that is the best thing that can happen with the young guys. During camp Birk will be back and those guys will be with the scrub unit again but will be better for their opportunity during OTA's.

We might be close to getting somewhere, but one or 2 injuries to the OL and the season will be toast without experienced backups. I want to know going into the season that if disaster strikes and we lose a Birk or god forbid Hutch, that we can plug in another player and keep chugging along.
    I like how your thinking but I am gonna take the approach of many on here and say that the Vets "Mentoring" those players from the onset is critical to thier development in the grand scheme of things.

Birk should be there making sure those guys (while they are getting those much needed reps) are doing it the right way so that if he goes down they can keep chugging along.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

I like how your thinking but I am gonna take the approach of many on here and say that the Vets "Mentoring" those players from the onset is critical to thier development in the grand scheme of things.

Birk should be there making sure those guys (while they are getting those much needed reps) are doing it the right way so that if he goes down they can keep chugging along.
    You yourself have been saying he has been struggling at making reads and calls at the line of scrimmage. If that is the case is this really the guy you want training the rookies? And if so, are they going to learn the right things from him? Answer that carefully ;D

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    ....Birk should be there making sure those guys (while they are getting those much needed reps) are doing it the right way so that if he goes down they can keep chugging along.
    Any player worth having on the roster should take the initiative to learn from the veterans.
    It is on their shoulders, not the veteran's shoulders.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:

You yourself have been saying he has been struggling at making reads and calls at the line of scrimmage. If that is the case is this really the guy you want training the rookies? And if so, are they going to learn the right things from him? Answer that carefully ;D
    Touche' my friend.

I am thinking along the lines of how to act (Mentoring).
    Things like line calls I leave to the coaching staff.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

[size=13pt]Frazier becomes man in spotlight on Vikings' defense[/size]

profootballweekly.com

May 28, 2008

If the Vikings are going to make the jump into the upper echelon of teams in the NFC, the formula appears clear: They’ll be doing it with a stout running game and with defense

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

I know one thing for sure, Frazier is happy as a pig in a mud puddle right about now, knowing the players he's going to get to work with this season.
    Both young and old..

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Good reading... thnxs singer. It is going to be nice to see what coach Frazier has up his sleeve now that he won't have to blitz to get pressure. Just as our offense's playbook will be opened, the defense will be able to use it's playbook to confuse the other team. With constant pressure from our front four, I expect to see zone blitzes, a big nickel package, and in general many different looks to confuse the opposing QB/team. I believe we have a top 5 defense and it is going to be fun watching them raise havoc... Skol Defense 8)

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Frazier becomes man in spotlight on Vikings' defense[/size]

profootballweekly.com

May 28, 2008

If the Vikings are going to make the jump into the upper echelon of teams in the NFC, the formula appears clear: They’ll be doing it with a stout running game and with defense
    Frazier getting a little attention.
    Good for him.

And adding Williams could allow SS Darren Sharper to roam into the box more often and allow the linebacker to drop back in coverage.
    I like the addition of MW but the addition of JA is what will make the cover 2 work for us.

His presence will allow our LB's can get back into coverage is the key to making this scheme work, not whether the safeties can roam free.

The safties responsibility/zones will remain the same.
    They just won't have to guess at cheating up to take the short stuff away (LB's will now be able to do that) or stay back deep to help the CB's.

Chazz is offline Coordinator

If everything falls into place, and the players gel, we could have the number 1 defense in the NFL. I can't wait!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast