ILLvike is offline Rookie

Franchise and Transistion

NFL teams can apply the franchise tag to players from Feb 10 til Feb 24.

Greenway, Rice, or Edwards? or someone else?

The folks over at the Daily Norsemen put together a huge analysis of it, so I
    won't bother repeating the information.

The Pioneer Press is suggesting that Greenway will be franchised and El Syd will get the transition tag, but thats not in stone http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2011/02/the-vikings-and-the-nfls-franc.html
    None

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Franchise and Transistion

Uh-Oh: Minnesota Vikings Likely To Use Transition Tag On Sidney Rice?

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/2/3/1972861/uh-oh-minnesota-vikings-likely-to-use-transition-tag-on-sidney-rice

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

That's what I was thinking was going to happen.. I sure hope so

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I would tag Greenway for sure but I am not sure at this point that I would do anything with Rice. Yes, he had one very nice season but he has also been injury prone and I am not really happy with the judgement he displayed last year with his injury and I don't want a big chunk of money thrown at him only to have him sitting on the bench injured again while getting a big pay check.

I would think he could be replaced in the draft or FA by a more durable, less expensive player and since we will be changing schemes there is going to be a learning and adjustment period with all of the WR's so it wouldn't be that much of a step back.

I would put the franchise tag on the guy most likely to be signed by another team because we would get 2 1st round picks as compensation and we could really use the high picks.

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1089054
    I would tag Greenway for sure but I am not sure at this point that I would do anything with Rice. Yes, he had one very nice season but he has also been injury prone and I am not really happy with the judgement he displayed last year with his injury and I don't want a big chunk of money thrown at him only to have him sitting on the bench injured again while getting a big pay check.

I would think he could be replaced in the draft or FA by a more durable, less expensive player and since we will be changing schemes there is going to be a learning and adjustment period with all of the WR's so it wouldn't be that much of a step back.

I would put the franchise tag on the guy most likely to be signed by another team because we would get 2 1st round picks as compensation and we could really use the high picks.
    At this point, i would agree. Greenway is absolutely the most important FA that we need to resign. I certainly do not want to see Rice go. He is one of my favorite Vikes, but i think he is more easily replaced that Greenway (not that it would be easy at all; just easier).

Greenway is crucial to our team. Rice is not. Greenway has proved he is tough physically, other than his massive injury. Rice has been temperamental at best as far as injuries go. Rice is good, but I don't think he ranks with the "elite" group after one good season. I would hate to see him go, but won't lose sleep over it either.
    I bet you could use a cool one huh Clark...Now you're talkin Eddie...

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer

If there is no CBA, how is there a restrictive policy on free agents?

The Supreme Court has ruled on that to the favor of players.

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

Well I do think that Greenway is much more valuable to our defense than Sidney Rice is to our offense, however I feel that this move may make more sense when we hear more talks on that "long term" deal with Chad Greenway. It has reported from numerous sources that Greenway would like to stay in Minnesota for a long time. So I don't see us having a problem getting him back. On the other hand if there's a lockout none of this would really matter this year from what I understand with the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
    None

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Minniman" #1089243
    If there is no CBA, how is there a restrictive policy on free agents?

The Supreme Court has ruled on that to the favor of players.

If there is not CBA, which will happen absent a new agreement prior to March 4th, there is no free agency. No player movements will happen at all without a new CBA or agreement in place.