Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: fox sports draft grade

Hrm...at this point I agree with a D. Based upon the ratings/rankings of the guys we picked, we picked D level talent. What they don't take into account is development and coaching, which I believe we are good in both areas with this coaching staff. I hope in 3 years when we look at this draft we say we had a D level draft with A level results!

sodaknick is offline Starter

"LongtimeVikesfan" wrote:
    Minnesota Vikings 2006 NFL Draft Review
    By Tony Moss, NFL Editor
    (Sports Network) -
    1 - Chad Greenway, LB, Iowa (6-2, 242); 2 - Cedric Griffin, DB, Texas (6-0, 199); 2 - Ryan Cook, OL, New Mexico (6-7, 328); 2 - Tarvaris Jackson, QB, Alabama State (6-2, 226); 4 - Ray Edwards, DE, Purdue (6-5, 273); 5 -Greg Blue, SS, Georgia (6-2, 216);

Analysis: There was suspicion that the Vikings would find a way to insert themselves into the market for one of the "Big 3" quarterbacks, but when that didn't pan out, they bypassed the likes of Charlie Whitehurst and Brodie Croyle and reached for the unheralded Jackson. Cook, not considered by some pundits to be even among the Top 15 tackles, was another second-round reach. Greenway and Griffin should improve the defense, and Edwards and Blue were decent value picks on the second day as well.

Bottom Line: Brad Childress better be an offensive genius, because his team looks no better on that side of the ball than it did prior to the draft.
    Grade: C-
    05/01 16:07:23 ET

This guy obviously forgot we had an excellent off-season with FA.

That's crap. If Culpepper hadn't lost his marbles before he lost his knee or if Brad was the QB all year, the Vikes would've done substantially better. Maybe I'm just a rube (okay, I'm definately just a rube) but I think we are poised to make a splash this year. BURN THE BOATS AND DON"T LOOK BACK!!!!!! :salute:

brandsp is offline Rookie

Hrm...at this point I agree with a D. Based upon the ratings/rankings of the guys we picked, we picked D level talent. What they don't take into account is development and coaching, which I believe we are good in both areas with this coaching staff. I hope in 3 years when we look at this draft we say we had a D level draft with A level results!

This is what I was thinking. Seems like they drafted guys with talent, but underachieved, thinking you can't coach size/potential, but think they can turn these guys in players.

viking_40 is offline Rookie

I'm sick of all this picking apart the draft. We are building a team not picking the best players.

Think Barry Sanders, fantastic talent with no team, countless others could be mentioned.

Half those players, or more that you wish we'd signed will come to nothing.

We will not fail to win a Superbowl because of this draft, we will fail to win a superbowl if we can't build a team that works togeather.

Remember guys intangibles win superbowls!

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"purplepride818" wrote:
    31. Minnesota: They took Iowa linebacker Chad Greenway in the first round and many teams thought he didn't have the sudden burst necessary to be a big-time NFL linebacker. Then they took a sixth-round center Ryan Cook with the 51st overall choice and traded up to select Alabama State quarterback Tarvaris Jackson with the 64th pick. Most teams had Jackson in the 7th round. Georgia safety Greg Blue will be a special teams' demon, but doesn't have good coverage skills and may be moved to weakside linebacker. Finally, if they wanted to select Oregon's Kellen Clemens in the second round, they were out-foxed by the inexperienced Jets. New personnel chieftan Fran Foley has more headaches than quite a few biographical mistakes in his resume. Grade: D

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5559064

we were 2nd to worse according to this guy, i cant believe he put buffalo ahead of us.
    A lot of sites gave us an "A" last year and look what happened.

Don't put too much stock into what 1 person feels. If he was any good he'd be in Upper Management or Coaching a team.

Critics are people that tell you how to do a job that they can't do or nobody will hire them to do.

Let's just see what happens this year.

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

that grade doesnt mean anything. lets see how our guys adjust and develop, who gets injured, and how our coaches use them. THEN they can grade our draft compared to other people's. these guys could be diamonds in the rough.
    WE CAN BUILD ON THIS!!!

In AP I trust

Purple_Hope is offline Rookie

I'll take a "D" over an "A grade, expert analysis" any day. Sure beats the "experts" saying how great we're gonna be and how we're favored to go all the way and win the Superbowl. Remember last year and all the hype? I say, let 'em talk. I don't need someone else to tell me how great (or how poorly) my team is going to play this year. To be honest, I've always rooted (sp?) for the underdog anyway.

I think this is a draft that could really surprise a lot of people and yield some solid players.

To me though, we could have been a lot smarter with the selections. I think the good teams usually draft for value aka "the best guy available" There were too many good players on the board in the second round to reach for Cook or Jackson.

I think the Vikings did an excellent job of drafting for value.....on day 2. On day one though, they really looked like amateurs and I will say that even if all these guys they drafted pan out because they most likely would have been around 2-3 rounds later.

Keep in mind, we lost Culpepper and Burleson for a couple of these picks.

Still, I don't hate this draft. I think this might turn out to be one of the better drafts of recent years - it's just that with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds of "the deepest draft in years" I think we could have and should have done better.
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234