Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Re: FOX Mock Draft 8.0

"mnjamie" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    "ZDoy379" wrote:
    and y would you want to get either white or williams. i mean if daunte stayed and we didnt sign chester than yea of course take a rb. we dont need one anymore. we have chester taylor, mewelde moore, and ciatrick fason. we dont need another rb. we will already be using chester and mewelde a lot and ciatrick for the goal line. we need help at lb and we will either take sims or greenway. i would rather pick sims.
    Did you look at the mock. Sims is gone, I stated not a fan of Greenway ... White is a talent with 59 tds while in college and is an everydown back. If you use the "best player available philosophy" ... White or Youboty ... IM fricken O . As we still need a quality nickel back and bruiser RB. With LB being addressed in the 2nd round as that position is very deep this year.
    White also has a torn hamstring, forget about it. You don't draft for a nickle corner in the first round unless you are mentally challenged, especially considering the weak draft class.

Youboty will be a starter in this league ... with Winfield and Smoot not getting any younger or even Sharper for that matter ... If your drafting for best player available instead of glaring needs ... I take Youboty or L.White before Greenway.

Also, if it is a weak draft class as you stated, all the more reason to take him now, if there isn't better value at #17 as we do need a cb. If winfield or smoot goes down, we are hurting.

White's hammy isn't that bad:

"That's very good news for White, whose "moderate" tear in the groin region could have caused him to fall out of the first round entirely. The teams considered to be hot for his services include the Broncos (who pick at No. 15 and No. 22), the Panthers (No. 27), and the Steelers (No. 32). The Colts could also be interested in White, since they are looking for someone/anyone to replace Edgerrin James.

White is regarded as the only power back in the 2006 draft with a consensus round-one grade."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Love the guy. It would be tough now to make that call though, with the FB's we aquired in F/A, but I wouldn't be mad if we picked him up.
    Youboty may be eventual starter quality, but there is no sense in drafting him when he won't start as long as we have Winfield and Smoot (who have 4 and 5 years left in their contracts, respectively).

Why are you down on Greenway anyway? It seems to me that he is a better player than an slightly injured Lendale or Youboty, regardless of need (which counts for something).

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    "ZDoy379" wrote:
    and y would you want to get either white or williams. i mean if daunte stayed and we didnt sign chester than yea of course take a rb. we dont need one anymore. we have chester taylor, mewelde moore, and ciatrick fason. we dont need another rb. we will already be using chester and mewelde a lot and ciatrick for the goal line. we need help at lb and we will either take sims or greenway. i would rather pick sims.
    Did you look at the mock. Sims is gone, I stated not a fan of Greenway ... White is a talent with 59 tds while in college and is an everydown back. If you use the "best player available philosophy" ... White or Youboty ... IM fricken O . As we still need a quality nickel back and bruiser RB. With LB being addressed in the 2nd round as that position is very deep this year.
    White also has a torn hamstring, forget about it. You don't draft for a nickle corner in the first round unless you are mentally challenged, especially considering the weak draft class.

Youboty will be a starter in this league ... with Winfield and Smoot not getting any younger or even Sharper for that matter ... If your drafting for best player available instead of glaring needs ... I take Youboty or L.White before Greenway.

Also, if it is a weak draft class as you stated, all the more reason to take him now, if there isn't better value at #17 as we do need a cb. If winfield or smoot goes down, we are hurting.

"That's very good news for White, whose "moderate" tear in the groin region could have caused him to fall out of the first round entirely. The teams considered to be hot for his services include the Broncos (who pick at No. 15 and No. 22), the Panthers (No. 27), and the Steelers (No. 32). The Colts could also be interested in White, since they are looking for someone/anyone to replace Edgerrin James.

White is regarded as the only power back in the 2006 draft with a consensus round-one grade."

Love the guy. It would be tough now to make that call though, with the FB's we aquired in F/A, but I wouldn't be mad if we picked him up.
    Youboty may be eventual starter quality, but there is no sense in drafting him when he won't start as long as we have Winfield and Smoot (who have 4 and 5 years left in their contracts, respectively).

Why are you down on Greenway anyway? It seems to me that he is a better player than an slightly injured Lendale or Youboty, regardless of need (which counts for something).
    I feel he is a protypical, old school LB ... slow, big and a bruiser on the line of scrimmage, doesn't fit the T-2 "D" ... won't be able to cover the deep middle. It's not that I dislike him, he just doesn't fit our scheme and also #17 is WAY to high to pick him up, would be a big reach for us. I feel we could get better talent there and still be really good value on a LB in the 2nd round.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"mnjamie" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    "mnjamie" wrote:
    Quote Originally Posted by ZDoy379

I feel he is a protypical, old school LB ... slow, big and a bruiser on the line of scrimmage, doesn't fit the T-2 "D" ... won't be able to cover the deep middle. It's not that I dislike him, he just doesn't fit our scheme and also #17 is WAY to high to pick him up, would be a big reach for us. I feel we could get better talent there and still be really good value on a LB in the 2nd round.

Ernie Sims before the combine was not considered a 1st round pick, some drafts in January (after the college season ended) had the Viking's drafting him in the second round.

He climbed so high because he ran a fast time at the combine and has big muscles, Greenway was a much better college player on game days.

Ernie Sims 5' 11" & 1/8
    231 lbs

2005 Season

72 Tackles
    10 for loss
    2 1/2 sacks
    2 INT's

2004 Season

86 Tackles
    9 for loss
    4 1/2 sacks
    0 INT's

Chad Greenway 6' 2 & 1/2
    242 lbs

2005 Season

156 Tackles
    10 for loss
    2 sacks
    1 INT

2004 Season

113 Tackles
    8 for loss
    3 sacks
    3 INT's

If Greenway is old school like lets say Brian Urlacher, give it to me every time baby!

Here is what some scouting services report on him:

Strengths:
    Has good size...An outstanding athlete with superb speed and a burst...Smart player with excellent instincts and great football intelligence...Does an excellent job in coverage...Sure tackler...Good blitzer and pass rusher...Pursues well and is solid in the open field...Has good range and makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Has a motor that never stops...Very productive...Good intangibles and a hard worker...Is a team leader and like an extra coach on the field...Still has upside.

Weaknesses:
    Will get too aggressive and become undisciplined at times...Needs to hit the weights and get stronger, especially in the lower body...Has some trouble shedding blocks...Was not quite as good in 2005 as he was as a junior after the Hawkeyes lost some key personnel...Tore up his knee prior to the '02 season.

Notes:
    From a small town in South Dakota where he grew up on a hog farm...Iowa was the only DI school to offer him a scholarship...Has all the tools you look for and is still getting better...Could easily develop into an impact player at the pro level.
    Was not quite as good in 2005:

He had 156 Tackles more than double what Ernie Sims had!

Here are some more:

And for not being fast: he ran a slow time at the combine 4.75, but he has run a 4.50 at a pro day, and last fall ran a 4.47 at Iowa.

Scouting Report

Pros: Outstanding physical tools. At 6'4 247, Greenway is as big as anyone could hope for in the NFL with the speed of a DB. He was clocked @ 4.47 in the forty last fall @ Iowas timing day. He is always around the ball and is a good wrap-up tackler. Isn't afraid to take on a block and very seldom misses a tackle. Excellent in coverage. Is in on almost every tackle.

Cons: Not many negative things to say about Greenway but if pushed, he sometimes gets tangled up by bigger offensive lineman. Almost never blows coverage but when he does its usually on a big play.

Overall: Arguably the best linebacker coming out in the draft. By far one of the best athletes available. His stats don't lie with his 100+ tackles and that is including having to share with fellow "all star" Abdul Hodge. Plays a lot like Brian Urlacher with his size and speed and like Urlacher, is a strong asset to the Defense that picks him up.

Scouting Report by Aaron J. Schneekloth

Pros: Athleticism and strength below the hips. He plays sideline to sideline as well as anyone in the draft. His 1-on-1 cover skills are better than those being taken ahead of him. Rarely misses an open field tackle, and (seldom mentioned) his closing skills.

Cons: Upper body strength has room for improvement (but benching 225 lbs in succession doesn't tackle anyone). Chad's teammate/roommate A. Hodge is an under valued player and was a significant reason Greenway had the career he did at Iowa. This is to compliment Hodge, and is in no way to disrespect Greenway (AJ Hawk is the same)

Overall: Bottom-line: as Captain Kirk Ferentz would say - we recruit football players. He's a football player.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Greenway hasn't been arrested for kicking the sh*t out fo his girlfriend like Sims has.

Roid rage?

Associated Press

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Florida State junior linebacker Ernie Sims was arrested early Wednesday for allegedly throwing his girlfriend to the ground.

Sims, 20, was arrested by Tallahassee Police after the fight with his live-in girlfriend, Brooke McGriff, who refused to press charges. He was charged with domestic battery and resisting arrest without violence, both misdemeanors.

The 6-foot, 225-pound Sims was released from jail after a court appearance before Leon County Judge Donald S. Mondesitt.

"Our athletic department discipline policy for a misdemeanor goes into effect with Ernie and he will be subject to that until I have all the facts," coach Bobby Bowden said in a statement.

Bowden, in most cases, has discretion on misdemeanor cases where no jail time is involved under the school's code of conduct.

Witnesses told police that at one point Sims "slammed her on the ground" and straddled the 5-foot-2, 118-pound McGriff as she lay on the concrete in front of a residence hall near the Florida State campus.

As she tried to stand, the player repeatedly shoved her back onto the ground. Sims remained aggressive when officers arrived, the police report said.

Sims was "shirtless, drenched in sweat and very animated when I made contact with him," Tallahassee Police officer Danny Jeter wrote in the report.
    Sims later interfered with arresting officers when he and McGriff tried to walk away from police. He told police the argument was over a call he received Tuesday from another woman.

Sims, who was the Seminoles' second-leading tackler last season, is the second starting linebacker to get into trouble with police in recent months.

The team's top tackler, A.J. Nicholson, had a pair of run-ins with police in the last six months, including a felony DUI arrest that could sideline him for the season opener against Miami.

Seminoles quarterback Wyatt Sexton was committed to a local hospital for psychiatric evaluation after police found him disheveled and partially clothed on a city street last month doing push-ups and calling himself God. Sexton's future with the team

Great info Whack !!! Still, Greenway can't cover the deep middle of the field required by a MLB in the T-2. How we gonna fix that?

I don't know Jamie he had 3 INT's in 2004 and 1 last year, he doesn't lack for speed and he is quick to the ball. I myself would take AJ Hawk over all other LB in draft, and I would take Greenway and Carpenter over Sims.

"whackthepack" wrote:
    I don't know Jamie he had 3 INT's in 2004 and 1 last year, he doesn't lack for speed and he is quick to the ball. I myself would take AJ Hawk over all other LB in draft, and I would take Greenway and Carpenter over Sims.

I agree with Hawk ... but that's where it ends. I've seen all 4 play quite a bit being a Big Ten Gopher fan and living partially in ACC country ... To each their own, I don't think we can go wrong with any of them. Let's hope the Triangle makes the right choice in the end though. Someone who can TRUELY cover and hit is all I'm asking for.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

You Greenway dissers are just down on him because he's a slow-footed white boy!!! :razz:

And for those who don't know me YET, know this...I am just messing with you all...for the record, I still want DeAngelo Williams with our first-round pick!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    You Greenway dissers are just down on him because he's a slow-footed white boy!!! :razz:

And for those who don't know me YET, know this...I am just messing with you all...for the record, I still want DeAngelo Williams with our first-round pick!!!
    The fool that you are ... I can believe your Man Love for DeAngelo is only matched by Maddens for Farve'. May it give you peace at night and comfort during the day. :wink:

ZDoy379 is offline Starter

we dont need a rb

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast