Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Fowler Not Likely To Be In Purple!

Not looking good for those Melvin Fowler Fans:

Fowler Not Likely to be in Purple
    Date: Feb 21, 2006

Center Melvin Fowler did an admirable job filling in for Pro Bowl center Matt Birk in 2005, but if Fowler’s words last month are any indication he doesn’t seem likely to return to Minnesota.

When replacement center Melvin Fowler was packing up his belongings from his Winter Park locker a day after the dismissal of former head coach Mike Tice, he left the locker room acting like a man that wasn’t planning to return.

Fowler was traded from the Cleveland Browns to the Minnesota Vikings at the start of the 2005 season. The Vikings needed another center when they learned that Pro Bowler Matt Birk wouldn’t be available for the entire season because he had elected to have surgery to repair the labrum in his hip.

Perrenial Vikings backup Cory Withrow started the season at center but eventually gave way to Fowler, who established himself as a reliable, if unspectacular, answer. But the last year on his contract was being played out, and Fowler left the Vikings with a starting position in mind.

When Viking Update asked Fowler if Minnesota is a place he would want to come back to, Fowler said he wasn’t really sure.

“I’m just going to make my decision based on what’s best at the time, depending on the need or the want, the situation here,” he said about his pending free agent status.

“It was a great experience, just to be part of something great that we did here as far as turning the season around and coming back to have a winning season coming back from 2-5.”

Fowler was part of the continuous retooling on the offensive line in 2005. He needed time to learn the system and was eventually placed into the starting lineup, gaining favor over Withrow. While those two each started their share of games, the same was also true at left guard, right guard and right tackle. Only left tackle Bryant McKinnie started every game on the offensive line.

Still, Fowler downplayed the effect of playing musical chairs on the offensive line.

“I don’t think it was that tough. We had a great bunch of guys. Everyone stepped in when they had to,” he said.

Now the Vikings will be faced with a decision at center. They are expecting the return of Matt Birk after a season spent rehabilitating his hip. New head coach Brad Childress said he envisions Birk in the starting center slot at training camp and Birk’s camp says he’s ready to go. But with Withrow and Fowler both unrestricted free agents, the Vikings will have to decide if they want to sign one of them or go outside the organization for Birk’s backup.

It’s that last word—“backupâ⠂¬ÂÃ¢â‚¬â€that doesn’t sit well with Fowler. He has started numerous games at center between his time in Cleveland his one season in Minnesota, and he isn’t looking for a return to the bench. If Birk does indeed make a full recovery, that’s exactly where Fowler would end up if he would elect to re-sign with the Vikings. That, however, doesn’t seem likely.

“I want to go wherever they want me to start, and if that’s here, then so be it. If it’s somewhere else, then that’s where I’ll be,” he said.

Expect to see him “somewhere else” in 2006.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Fowler Not Likely To Be In Purple!

If he's any good at guard, we should consider putting him there...he could be better than any of the other options we currently have.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Lotza is offline Team Alumni

2 bad, he stepped up and played.

+ he had a cool 1st name

Go vikes!!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    If he's any good at guard, we should consider putting him there...he could be better than any of the other options we currently have.

Right on Cajun. I was thinking that as I was reading the article. I wonder if the Vikes are thinking this through, or if they already have all that planned out? Either way, we need some serious help on that O-Line.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

He is a little small for a guard spot Cajun. He is under 300lbs and most guard are around 330 or bigger, which you can get away with at center.

Fowler if you think you should be a starter, then go out and prove that you are a starter. Is he afraid of a little competition, beat out Birk and you can have the starting job.

If the Gophers center is available in the 3rd round of the draft (he might be), I hope the Vikings draft him. He is the best center in college, and would be a good addition to the Vikes.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Well our guards Herrera and Goldberg were around 310-315 range.. So I think Fowler can do it..

He isn't too much lighter then them.. And would be a very good pulling guard..

Although I don't think we will use him there that woud be pretty sweet to atleast try

"whackthepack" wrote:
    He is a little small for a guard spot Cajun. He is under 300lbs and most guard are around 330 or bigger, which you can get away with at center.

Fowler if you think you should be a starter, then go out and prove that you are a starter. Is he afraid of a little competition, beat out Birk and you can have the starting job.

If the Gophers center is available in the 3rd round of the draft (he might be), I hope the Vikings draft him. He is the best center in college, and would be a good addition to the Vikes.

Not to small. As Vikez was saying, Herrera, and Goldberg are around the same size. Fowler blocks better than both of those guys. IMO

ryanmurphy is offline Pro-Bowler

Im taking the whatever happens, happens outlook on this one. Truth is, if Red wasn't such a cheap a$$, Birk would have played last year and we probably wouldn't have picked Fowler up in the first place...

"ryanmurphy" wrote:
    Im taking the whatever happens, happens outlook on this one. Truth is, if Red wasn't such a cheap a$$, Birk would have played last year and we probably wouldn't have picked Fowler up in the first place...

Agreed Mr. Murphy..

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"VikesfaninWis" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

Not to small. As Vikez was saying, Herrera, and Goldberg are around the same size. Fowler blocks better than both of those guys. IMO

Our guard play last year sucked!

Herrera was supposed to be our 3rd center but was moved to guard because we did not have enough depth at guard.

Herrerra
    6' 2" - 315lbs

Withrow
    6' 2" - 290lbs

Birk
    6' 4" - 315lbs

true guards

Adam Golderg
    6' 7" - 330lbs

Chris Lewinski
    6' 5" - 321lbs

David Dixon
    6' 6" - 360lbs pure muscle (joking)

Fonoti
    6' 4" - should be around 350 - 360lbs if he wants to play.

Marcus Johnson
    6' 6" - 321lbs
    (was in training camp as a guard but moved to tackle be cause Rosenthal was not having a good year)

So Fowler at 6' 3" 295lbs is small for a guard!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast