Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Four Free Agents to wish for

[quote="singersp" #1097397]
    Quote Originally Posted by "b_sandhar_29" #1097395
    Another thing I want to ask you guys, is if we're going to lose Sidney Rice (very likely with 2011 CBA), do we go after Vincent Jackson who would be perfect to compliment our vertical passing/run offense? It really makes a lot of sense to me and putting a young QB around great weapons reduces the likelihood of him being a bust. One frequently question asked with Tim Couch was "Had he not been in Cleveland, would be have been better?" You would have to look into it yourself to see what I'm trying to get at using the Couch example. Point is we need someone who's going to consistently come to play game in, game out to make this team better.

That could rule Harvin out.

He comes to play when he plays, but with him missing games every time the migraines flare up, can we count on him for 16+ games?

I think if Rice is gone, we look for two quality veteran WR's, not WR's like Baskett, Pinkston,
    etc...

This underscores the importance of having Rice or someone equally as talented on the team.

We all love the way Percy plays but his Migraines make him a day to day player. It's hard to game plan around that. I also recall he had a little dust up with Childress last year. Not sure what to make of that.

Berrian will have his perennial hamstring injury in training camp again this year. It prevented him from developing any real chemistry with Favre and will likely have the same effect on Ponder.
    Besides, Berrian was supposed to be the speed guy in our offense. Last season he couldn't seem to get seperation. Has he lost a step? His hands are average so I don't see him contributing much.

I think the Vikings have every intention of signing Rice. But knowing who his agent is, the likelihood seems slim.
    Should Rice leave now, after the last minute surgery stunt he pulled last year, he will not be on my list of favorite NFL players.

Ponder needs Rice and Berrian needs to get with it or hit the road.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097473
    Another thing I want to ask you guys, is if we're going to lose Sidney Rice (very likely with 2011 CBA), do we go after Vincent Jackson who would be perfect to compliment our vertical passing/run offense? It really makes a lot of sense to me and putting a young QB around great weapons reduces the likelihood of him being a bust. One frequently question asked with Tim Couch was "Had he not been in Cleveland, would be have been better?" You would have to look into it yourself to see what I'm trying to get at using the Couch example. Point is we need someone who's going to consistently come to play game in, game out to make this team better.

I have V-Jack as my number one FA next to Ngata. Problem is, the Chargers designated him as the franchis player.

Only way they let him go is if the CBA thing gets rid of that or if the Chargers decide they don't want him. With him being the number 1 FA WR and Rice being the number 2 (some have Holmes 2 and Rice 3), things are going to get ugly trying to resign Rice.
    Ngata would certainly be a good player to use in a transition to a 3-4.

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1097397

That could rule Harvin out.

He comes to play when he plays, but with him missing games every time the migraines flare up, can we count on him for 16+ games?

I think if Rice is gone, we look for two quality veteran WR's, not WR's like Baskett, Pinkston, etc...
    The migrane thing is an issue, no doubt. However Terrell Davis suffered from the same condition and was a league leading rusher and won a couple SB's along the way.

All I am saying is that when he is in, he is fantastic. I would guess that the Chiller effect may have caused a migrane or two as well.

Sideline "stream of consciousness" in Practice.
    Chiller-Percy why dont you tell the media how awesome a coach I am, and that I am an offensive genius

PH- well I just got here and your offense is less effective than my little league team

Chiller- Oh yeah, well I used to work for Andy Reid and we almost won a Super Bowl, I was the OC.

PH But you didnt call the plays

Chiller-Take a lap

PH-I think I have a migrane!

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097490
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097487
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097483
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097482
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1097480
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1097473
    I have V-Jack as my number one FA next to Ngata. Problem is, the Chargers designated him as the franchis player.

Only way they let him go is if the CBA thing gets rid of that or if the Chargers decide they don't want him. With him being the number 1 FA WR and Rice being the number 2 (some have Holmes 2 and Rice 3), things are going to get ugly trying to resign Rice.
    A trade for Jackson isn't out of the question.

Remember, last year he held out, he doesn't want to be in SD anymore. He probably won't sign his franchise tag this year right away either. Hwoever, if we work out a trade for him on the assumption that he signs, the Bolts can try and get him to sign, knowing he'll be traded.
    Trust me, I've worked every scenario in my head that I can think of.

It still all comes back to that "Franchise" tag. Teams don't use it on players the don't want anymore.

Long story short, not out of the question, but a pretty distant possiblity.
    Look at it logically though.

Yes, they want him to play, but they know he doesn't want to be there. The tag ensures they get SOMETHING for him if he doesn't play for them. Whether we give up the 1st and 3rd, or try and swing a trade. Players have been franchised and traded before, I'm not sure why you don't think it's possible here.
    Never said it wasn't a possibility. I said it was a distant....Means it could happen but not likely.

Look, go back and look what happened last year. We made them one hell of an offer (Chargers would've got a 2 or 3rd plus conditional or something like that) (Jackson would've got something like 5 or 6 Mill/One year/No franchise tag in 2011) they turned down.
    Hell of an offer isn't a 2nd or 3rd. Plus, a year later, they might be willing to deal. Remember a few years ago we offered a second for Rosenfels, turned down. A year later we get him for a fourth.
    The situation hasn't changed. He's one hell of a WR and they don't want to loose him.
    If they didn't want to lose him, they should sign him to a contract. They haven't yet.
    does that mean we don't care if we lose Chad,Sidney, Ray, Ben, Hussain,Erin, Ryan, Tavaris?
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Anyone mentioned Mikell from Philly?
    We need a safety badly.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

IMHO this is a make or break year for Harvin. If he continues to miss practice and games due to the migraines it may be time to move on or relegate him to a bit player status. I love the way he plays when he is on his game but he has a long life ahead of him and his health has to be the priority and subjecting him to the hits while he has this condition cannot be good for the long term.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1097515
    Anyone mentioned Mikell from Philly?
    We need a safety badly.
    Yeah, in about the third or fourth post I listed a numbe rof players I thought we should go after. There's some pretty decent safeties available.

Dibbzz is offline Starter

This thread begins and ends with Nnamdi Asomugha, in my opinion.

If we could at least get one shut down corner to take out the offense's #1 wideout that would take some pressure off the rest of our secondary. Only issue would be his asking price once free agency actually begins. If not him, Antonio Cromartie wouldn't be a bad consolation either.

A guy like Tyson Clabo (Atlanta) would help boost our O-Line a bit, too.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I would LOVE to have Clabo here, trouble is I bet he goes back to Atlanta.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345