Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Four Downs: NFC North

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Sorry you misunderstood me.
    I'm not saying that we should have a full back in all passing plays.
    I am saying that taking AD out on passing plays is way to predictable.

If we were to run a few passing plays with AD in it would help make it less obvious. You guys blamed his inability to pass block, so i mentioned we could always have him run a slide and have a fb or second RB block. There were tons of plays when CT was blocking and richardson ran a route. Why not substitute richardson for AD and have him chip release.

I don't get what's so hard to understand this premise. Use what we had but find a way to use him in the passing game...

When defenses started selling out to stop him we became 1 dimensional. The Coahing Staff answer to this was to remove Ad from the field so that defensese stop selling out. This only created a tell( like in poker) to our play calling:

1st and 10 - AD is in = Run
    2nd and 6 = ad is out = pass( possible run)
    3 and short = AD is back in = RUN
    3 and 5 CT is in = Pass( possible run)

Defenses eat this crap alive. My answer to this was to use AD as a reciver on some of these 3rd and 5. Call the right formation to be able to do so. Use AD and CT at the same time and have Ct block and AD run a slide. I rather have him as a passing option than Shank.

I understand what you are saying, and obviously the plan is to use AD more on passing downs, in any manner of ways.
    But you have to remember that AD was a rookie, and simply didn't have the skill set to block or run routes last year.
    It is a learning process.
    I like the fact that Childress didn't put him in a position to do something that he was not ready to do.
    That is how bad habits start - people compensate for lack of knowledge by taking shortcuts.

I expect that we will see AD in on passing downs more and more as his experience level goes up.
    What do you mean he didn't hae the skill set to run routes?
    You assume Childress didn't do it because he couldn't? Or he took the bon headed way out and did not scheme to all him to use his best weapon?

What about AD shows you he couldn't urun routes.
    I believe his first TD came off of a juggled slide route!!!

Say he couldn't pass block but don't talk out your arse and say he couldn't run routes?
    Well let's see, we have two possible scenarios.

1) AD is an amazing route runner (and pass blocker to boot).
    But the collective wisdom on the Vikings sidelines just chose to keep him out on passing situations, despite the fact that everybody - from ESPN to posters on football forums - caught on to the trend.

or

2) AD, despite being a very good ball player, still has areas to improve in.
    Every rookie does, and route running and pass protection are two areas that are typically among the more difficult adjustments to make from college to pro.

Even towards the end of the season last year, there were games in which AD missed his block completely and the QB got sacked.
    The Denver game comes to mind immediately.
    That is one of the reasons he was not called upon to pass protect very often.
    On the same not, we did NOT see him run routes very often, and I think it would make a lot more sense to assume that there was reason for this, not just a whim by the coaching staff.

His first TD of the year had more to do with teams underestimating him than any ability he had to run a route.
    It was a flat pass to account for a strong side blitz, and the LB committed inside instead of covering the flat.

I have some serious man love for AD, and I expect him to be the top RB in the league this year.
    I also expect him to shore up his skill set to the point that he will be featured more often in passing situations.
    This should definately help open our offense up quite a bit.
    But my man love does not blind me to the fact that everybody has some skills that are not up to standard in their rookie year.
    You are dancing arund the hat my friend. Everytime you come to explain his pass catching you turn it in to pass blocking. Please address it. No disrespect but you are making childress out to be the best head coach in the land. Could it be that as AD is a rookie Childress and his staff are all"rookies" at coaching.

A problem was presented and they were not able to adress it. Period.
    Taking AD out hurt the team. It made us predictable and it took away our home run threat.
    As a head coach if your opponent forces you to cut off your own hand.

I don't give them the benifit of the doubt. Especially since the staff has been outcoached in years pass.
    Childress = 2nd year as Head Coach
    Bevell = 2nd year as OC

I have shown where Peterson reciving stats were consistant versus multiple defenses
    He lacked touches.
    Which is more likely? A pro caliber RB doesn't know how to run a slide pattern or that a Coaching staff did not properly adjust it's gameplan to meet a challenge and instead took the easy way out and relied on an old relieable rb instead of addressing the issue.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    His first TD of the year had more to do with teams underestimating him than any ability he had to run a route.
    It was a flat pass to account for a strong side blitz, and the LB committed inside instead of covering the flat.

I have some serious man love for AD, and I expect him to be the top RB in the league this year.
    I also expect him to shore up his skill set to the point that he will be featured more often in passing situations.
    But my man love does not blind me to the fact that everybody has some skills that are not up to standard in their rookie year.
    Go back and watch it. The responsibility for the flats was the corner's that he blew past after he juggled it BTW.

Additionally, would these types of passes have helped when...i don't know.....teams were sending everyone and the kitchen sink? Humm nope? Better to run Dive thru the three hole then
    :.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Go back and watch it. The responsibility for the flats was the corner's that he blew past after he juggled it BTW.

Additionally, would these types of passes have helped when...i don't know.....teams were sending everyone and the kitchen sink? Humm nope? Better to run Dive thru the three hole then
    Sure they would if he would have had time to get out in the flat.

As you advised NP.
    Go back and watch the play again.
    TJ made a hell of a throw with one LB already holding onto his jersey and another about to hit him.

If I was a coach instead of some arm chair coach, it wouldn't take me long to say to myself.....

Self, never run that play again until our OL and TE's can block somebody.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:

Sure they would if he would have had time to get out in the flat.

As you advised NP.
    Go back and watch the play again.
    TJ made a hell of a throw with one LB already holding onto his jersey and another about to hit him.

If I was a coach instead of some arm chair coach, it wouldn't take me long to say to myself.....

Self, never run that play again until our OL and TE's can block somebody.

;D
    Most catches on swing passes are caught after the harsh marks but before the flats.
    Like I said, we needed to make these passes later in the season.
    Does anyone know how many drops AD had this season?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234