singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Five topics, our takes

[size=13pt]Five topics, our takes[/size]

The Vikings have been in training camp for just over a week, giving us a chance to start to get a read on various issues that will impact this team as it attempts to repeat as NFC North champion.

By JUDD ZULGAD and CHIP SCOGGINS , Star Tribune

Last update: August 10, 2009 - 12:48 AM

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Redrouster is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Five topics, our takes

As I have watched T.J. in the games he played last year, the number one fault I noticed is that he folds under the pressure when he HAS t o produce.
    During the playoff game with Philly I remember a drive after Philly had scored a TD and we had to answer. I could see the stress in his face and then in his throws as he overthrew his receivers numerous times to a three and out.
    I hope we will see a big difference with Sage as we move into the preseason.
    I remember last year when he took that big hit and he fumbled, yes, not a good thing, but he was fighting hard to win.
    I think Sage has more poise under pressure then TJ.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Redrouster" wrote:
    As I have watched T.J. in the games he played last year, the number one fault I noticed is that he folds under the pressure when he HAS t o produce.
    During the playoff game with Philly I remember a drive after Philly had scored a TD and we had to answer. I could see the stress in his face and then in his throws as he overthrew his receivers numerous times to a three and out.
    I hope we will see a big difference with Sage as we move into the preseason.
    I remember last year when he took that big hit and he fumbled, yes, not a good thing, but he was fighting hard to win.
    I think Sage has more poise under pressure then TJ.
    Truth be told, there were times that TJ looked good in that game as well as bad.
    For instance, the INT/TD has been well documented as a horrible decision and throw.
    At at that point I believe he was somethign like 5/13.
    But in the very next drive, Jackson actually led the team to an offensive TD.
    And I do use the word 'led', because I rewatched the games last night, and he looked really good that drive.
    Unfortunately there were only two drives in that entire game that I can say he looked like an NFL starter.
    Most of the rest were just OK, and there were four or five, mostly near the end, when he simply looked bad.

This is my biggest complaint with TJack - he is WAY too inconsistent.
    Not just among games but during games.
    He does seem to have issues during the blitz as well, I won't argue with that.
    Both of his really good drives in the Philly game came when the Eagles were not blitzing as much.
    But I would say that has more to do with the speed that he makes his reads than buckling under pressure.
    JMHO.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

It goes for both QBs, they both have knocks on being consistent.

You have listed some knocks on TJ, so I will list the main one that I have heard about Sage.
    He has the ability to turn the ball over at inopportune times.
    Granted, he hasn't been on a team that will be this dynamic.
    It will be interesting.
    Texans put together a decent squad last season, but it wasn't this talented on both sides of the ball.
    The Texans did have a top five WR in Johnson, but they definitely didn't have the running ability that we have.

Both will have to prove themselves on the field if given the chance to play.

My 2 biggest knocks on TJ doesn't involve his composure.
    It is his inability to step up in the pocket and pass.
    I saw a segment on it on NFLN.
    It was convincing.
    Also, it is his inability to stay on the field.
    Second day of TC, where was TJ, visiting Sugarman.
    Why do coaches say you gotta play hurt, because it pisses them off to not have a guy on the field that they and the team are counting on to be there.
    It is difficult to hold that against anyone but TJ.

The best comment (optimism)
    I heard about Sage is a comparison to R.Gannon.
    He said there was a guy that had talent that played here in MN that didn't get a lot of time under center.
    Similar to Sage, Rich moved on to another team to get a shot to prove himself.