Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

First Roster Moves Of 2010

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Re:First Roster Moves Of 2010

According to the article, the Vikings signed the following players to future contracts:

Safety Colt Anderson - I like his instincts, intelligence and heart. The only real knock on him is that he's undersized, but I think the coaches should give him a chance.

Running back Ian Johnson - I thought he beat out Albert Young for the third spot, but the coaches saw it different (might have something to do with the fact that Young had already been on the team for one season) Ian can be a good versatile backup running back in the NFL.

Wide receiver Vinny Perretta - very similar to Wes Welker and he has the potential to serve a similar role for the Vikings. Jaymar Johnson was very anonymous in his first season on the team, maybe it's time to give Perretta a chance...

Cornerback DeAndre Wright - injury prone (have had surgery on both shoulders) but he's a good cover guy.

Other players that was signed:
    Defensive tackle Tremaine Johnson
    Offensive tackle Patrick Brown
    Offensive tackle Chris Clark
    Offensive tackle Drew Radovich

HEY wrote:
    According to the article, the Vikings signed the following players to future contracts:

Safety Colt Anderson - I like his instincts, intelligence and heart. The only real knock on him is that he's undersized, but I think the coaches should give him a chance.

Running back Ian Johnson - I thought he beat out Albert Young for the third spot, but the coaches saw it different (might have something to do with the fact that Young had already been on the team for one season) Ian can be a good versatile backup running back in the NFL.

Wide receiver Vinny Perretta - very similar to Wes Welker and he has the potential to serve a similar role for the Vikings. Jaymar Johnson was very anonymous in his first season on the team, maybe it's time to give Perretta a chance...

Cornerback DeAndre Wright - injury prone (have had surgery on both shoulders) but he's a good cover guy.

Other players that was signed:
    Defensive tackle Tremaine Johnson
    Offensive tackle Patrick Brown
    Offensive tackle Chris Clark
    Offensive tackle Drew Radovich
    Nice breakdown on those players.....Couple of comments/thoughts.

Vinny and JJ. Hard to say that JJ was "Anonymous" on a team a glut with WR talent. Another thing to remember, this year, for the first time, they carried 6 WR's.

My guess is that because they didn't use that 6th guy very much, they will go back to the traditional 5 WR's like they did the first 3 years making it harder for either JJ or Vinny to crack this roster.

AY/IJ. Again, pretty hard for anyone to get a good look at RB's behind AD and CT so I am not so sure why you think one beat out the other.

On a side note, when AY got reps he looked damn good. Another guess here, but I think he probably showed enough to the coaching staff so that he can move up and possibly take CT's place, saving some cash that can possibly be used elsewere.

As to the other cats......Guys like Radovich (Big Mac situation) and Tremaine Johnson (Looming suspension/Phat Pat retirement) might get a chance to show that they are ready to move up in the world.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    Hard to say that JJ was "Anonymous" on a team a glut with WR talent. Another thing to remember, this year, for the first time, they carried 6 WR's.

My guess is that because they didn't use that 6th guy very much, they will go back to the traditional 5 WR's like they did the first 3 years making it harder for either JJ or Vinny to crack this roster.
    Yes, a very good point, Marrdro! I almost forgot that we carried one more wide receiver on the roster this season than usual. Like you tried to explain, Jaymar Johnson didn't get many opportunities as he was playing behind a solid group of receivers. I also believe that we will go back to 5 WR's next season, but I hope that Jaymar or Vinny get the nod before the aging Greg Lewis.

AY/IJ. Again, pretty hard for anyone to get a good look at RB's behind AD and CT so I am not so sure why you think one beat out the other.
    I closely watched the battle for the third spot in the preseason (it was one of the most interesting position battles of the 2009 season) and I thought they both did a good job. Albert Young is versatile, not a very dangerous runner, but I can see him as a decent 3rd down back in the NFL. Ian Johnson is also versatile, but perhaps not as versatile as Young. He is however a little more dangerous with the ball in his hands, and let's not forget that's the RB's primary job!

On a side note, when AY got reps he looked damn good. Another guess here, but I think he probably showed enough to the coaching staff so that he can move up and possibly take CT's place, saving some cash that can possibly be used elsewere.
    That will be HUGE shoes to fill. I would hate to lose a player like Chester Taylor. Taylor still looks nimble out on the field, and I think he has some more gas in the tank. If Taylor should go, then Albert Young could rotate in on passing downs, while Ian Johnson could serve as a backup on first and second downs.

What are your thoughts on the practice squad's secondary?
    The defensive backs are my biggest concerns this off-season. Especially after Cedric Griffin's injury. Someone needs to step up and take his position until he fully recovers.

Moss81 is offline Waterboy

Jaymar Johnson needs some playtime! Time for Greg Lewis to go. JJ has some series speed and I would love to see him in the slot on third downs in certain packages (Percy Harvin in the backfield). That would give us another explosive playmaker that will cause mismatches.

I bet Jaymar has a great offseason for the third year in a row, and comes back hungry. He will make plays during training camp and impress the coaches! He will more then double the amount of catches he had this season, quote me on that (he had one this season, if you're wondering)
    None

HEY wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Hard to say that JJ was "Anonymous" on a team a glut with WR talent. Another thing to remember, this year, for the first time, they carried 6 WR's.

Yes, a very good point, Marrdro! I almost forgot that we carried one more wide receiver on the roster this season than usual. Like you tried to explain, Jaymar Johnson didn't get many opportunities as he was playing behind a solid group of receivers. I also believe that we will go back to 5 WR's next season, but I hope that Jaymar or Vinny get the nod before the aging Greg Lewis.

I closely watched the battle for the third spot in the preseason (it was one of the most interesting position battles of the 2009 season) and I thought they both did a good job. Albert Young is versatile, not a very dangerous runner, but I can see him as a decent 3rd down back in the NFL. Ian Johnson is also versatile, but perhaps not as versatile as Young. He is however a little more dangerous with the ball in his hands, and let's not forget that's the RB's primary job!

That will be HUGE shoes to fill. I would hate to lose a player like Chester Taylor. Taylor still looks nimble out on the field, and I think he has some more gas in the tank. If Taylor should go, then Albert Young could rotate in on passing downs, while Ian Johnson could serve as a backup on first and second downs.

The defensive backs are my biggest concerns this off-season. Especially after Cedric Griffin's injury. Someone needs to step up and take his position until he fully recovers.
    Don't ya just love talking ball again. Great stuff my friend.
    As much as I love CT and the "Comfort Level" his experience brings, I don't think his shoes are that hard to fill. Rationale behind that is from looking at some of the most recent successes at RB the last 3 or 4 years from guys initially doing better than good coming out of college.

Long story short, would I love to see CT stay? Yes, of course, but I believe we are in a different place this year when it comes to the CAP (or whatever we call it in a uncapped year) as it relates to the revenue stream available to sign/resign vets.

In the end, I would much rather see them spend whatever funds are available to get a nice vet CB than to resign CT.

Which leads me into this......

As I go over the roster this year I find a couple of intruiging things with respect to our secondary.....

1. Asher Allen/Benny Sapp. I know the automatic knee jerk reaction by most fans (and sports hacks) will be to run out and fix something that might not need to be fixed.

I, for one, actually think our secondary played better with Benny in there than it did with Winny. Sometimes, when I was ready to give Benny props for a nice play, much to my suprise, Asher came up out of the pile.

Maybe, just maybe, the money I want to spend on a vet CB doesn't need to be spent. Maybe that cat (or cats) are already on the roster which affords the staff the luxury of either using a pick in the draft on this position when the value is there or else they could look to bring in a bunch of undrafted FA CB's that they think might have potential (ala Chuck).

2. PS Players. When I look at the two currently listed (Wright/Anderson), thier names don't just scream "Starter" to me, but I don't think we are going to be looking for a "Starter" out of those two if they crack the roster. They will be complimentary players at best.

On a side note, the 3rd thing that jumps out at me when I look at the rosters secondary goes back to our secondary coaching staff.

Coaches Joe Wood and his assistant Derek Mason sure seem to get alot out of those cats.

Griff has grown into one of the nicer players on defense. If he comes back healthy, my guess is he will finally take the next step in his growth and start making some plays on the ball. Jamarcus and Tyrell had thier ups and downs, but both sure showed alot of potential there which leads me to believe that we will have one of the strongest set of S's in the league when they finally get into thier 3rd/4th year.

When Whinny went down, most thought all was lost. In steps Asher and Benny to fill the void that was again vacated by a injured Whinny, and as I said, I was mildly suprised at how well they did.

In the end, I am pretty sure that the staff will have a plan when it comes to the secondary and the coaches will get the most out of that plan.

Moss81 wrote:
    Jaymar Johnson needs some playtime! Time for Greg Lewis to go. JJ has some series speed and I would love to see him in the slot on third downs in certain packages (Percy Harvin in the backfield). That would give us another explosive playmaker that will cause mismatches.

I bet Jaymar has a great offseason for the third year in a row, and comes back hungry. He will make plays during training camp and impress the coaches! He will more then double the amount of catches he had this season, quote me on that (he had one this season, if you're wondering)
    Sounds like you followed JJ in college as you seem to know alot about him.

Quick question, if JJ has the speed and recieving attributes you contend he has, why did the staff use thier pick on PH this year instead of factoring JJ into the slot?

Don't get me wrong, I kindof liked what little I saw of the guy this year, but if I factor in just special teams play alone, as its what JJ and Greg did mostly, Greg had alot of nice plays on the back side of ST's coverage this year which makes me wonder a couple of discussion points....

a. Because Lewis was making plays on ST's it meant he made the game day roster which JJ didn't.

b. If the staff believed there was a bit of a a drop off from a rookie (PH) to a 2nd year man (JJ), what makes you think that same question might still be a part of the decision process used by the staff as they get down to thier final WR spots?

Long story short, if for some reason there is another WR sitting there at our first round pick that is the BPA and they take him, don't get to upset if both Lewis and JJ don't make the 53 man roster next year.

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

Didn't want to start a separate thread, but here are some significant offseason dates:

An offseason calendar

Feb. 24-March 3: NFL scouting combine
    March 5: Free agency begins
    March 21-24: NFL owners meeting
    April 22-24: NFL draft
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

VikingMike wrote:
    Didn't want to start a separate thread, but here are some significant offseason dates:

An offseason calendar

Feb. 24-March 3: NFL scouting combine
    March 5: Free agency begins
    March 21-24: NFL owners meeting
    April 22-24: NFL draft
    Start as many as you want. I will participate in all of them as I love this time of the year.

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

I'm sure this has been brought up somewhere, but what is the general opinion on Kevin Kolb? I don't know a whole lot about him, but I watched a video on NFL.com about a trade possibility. It seems unlikely to me, considering he's been groomed over there for a while now.

Anyway, I was wondering what others think about the likelyhood that he actually gets shipped out, or if he's even any good... I've definately become interested in this possibility, even if it is small, of him being a Viking. Again, I don't know a whole lot about the guy, but with limited QBs out there we need to find a solution via draft or trade, IMO, whether Favre returns or not. I've been thinking about every single possibility, and this one intrigues me the most atm...