Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Finally

We will not be able to improve through free agency without a new CBA deal reached.

If no deal is reached, Edwards and Jackson will be RFAs and I don't see teams giving up too much to acquire either of those guys. Chester Taylor is going to be an unrestricted free agent no matter the CBA situation, and a team will try to sign him away from us.

I think if Favre says he's coming back in the next 27 days, we keep all of our free agents. There's no better fit in the league for Ray Edwards, so long as Childress is here, Jackson knows he has a chance at playing... which is in all likelihood not the case for the rest of the NFL, and Taylor is a running back on the wrong side of 30. They all have their reasons to stay, however, cash makes the world go round.

But a ring is a hell of a motivator.

If we have to lose a guy to gain a guy, I think we have to let someone walk, and it looks like that would have to be Taylor. His role diminished this year with Peterson's improved receiving skills. If AD works on his blocking this offseason(along with ball security) Taylor is practically useless, other than spelling Peterson for rest.

With his departure it leaves us the ability to pick up a corner. Winfield's run has come to an end. I'd like us to pick up Leigh Bodden or Dunta Robinson(especially if we play more man on the corners,) they're the only guys that would be unrestricted from that list of corners. Marlin Jackson and Richard Marshall would be great for playing in the Tampa 2, but they'll be restricted if there is no agreement reached.

It should be very interesting. I hope a deal is reached and Favre announces he is staying by February 27th, that will make it much easier for us to attract free agents, as well as keep our guys. Ideally we keep Edwards, Taylor, and Jackson, and sign a corner. Then we draft BPA, and go play in 2010.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

V4L wrote:
    IFFFFF we have some money.. Im not sure how things are gonna play out.. Id like to add one of these guys

Le'Ron McClain, Ravens (R). Is the league's best combo power runner/blocker.
    Leonard Weaver, Eagles (CBA). Versatility makes him very attractive.

Jahri Evans, Saints (CBA). Has become an elite right guard.
    Logan Mankins, Patriots (CBA). Remains a very good left guard.

Julius Peppers, Panthers (U). Change of scenery might rev him up again. (IFFFFF Ray walks)

Aaron Kampman, Packers (U). Might be better off switching back to 4-3 end. (Same as Peppers situation)
    Some nice fits in there.......

FB. Weaver made his money this year thats for sure but I just don't see this staff putting much money into that position. If they do anything at FB this year it will be to either resign Tahi (lowball) or draft a kid.

Gaurd. Both Hutch and Herrera looked terrible this year. Thier decline in play can be trace to injury (Hutch) and Sully. Both issues should resolve themselves for next year over the offseason, but I wouldn't be suprised if they take a G in the first or second round if the value isn't there for another position. Definately believe they will address it in the draft sometime though, 5th, 6th or 7th round is probably more likely. As with the FB position, I don't think they are concerned enough about the position to look to a top tier FA this year.

DE. For the life of me I can't figure out why we haven't given Ray his money. Kid has done nothing but get better every year and now, when he is finally starting to play at the level we need, they are going to let him test the market......What the hell is Ricky boy thinking....... :blink: ?

In short, (I started working on my roster analysis last night), I don't see them making many moves in the FA market. I look for them to work the draft for future replacements for guys like Hutch, Phat Pat and yes even Kevin with the only FA signing of any significance being a low tiered MLB to back up Jasper if EJ doesn't look to be healing the way we hope he will.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Mr Anderson wrote:
    We will not be able to improve through free agency without a new CBA deal reached.

If no deal is reached, Edwards and Jackson will be RFAs and I don't see teams giving up too much to acquire either of those guys. Chester Taylor is going to be an unrestricted free agent no matter the CBA situation, and a team will try to sign him away from us.

I think if Favre says he's coming back in the next 27 days, we keep all of our free agents. There's no better fit in the league for Ray Edwards, so long as Childress is here, Jackson knows he has a chance at playing... which is in all likelihood not the case for the rest of the NFL, and Taylor is a running back on the wrong side of 30. They all have their reasons to stay, however, cash makes the world go round.

But a ring is a hell of a motivator.

If we have to lose a guy to gain a guy, I think we have to let someone walk, and it looks like that would have to be Taylor. His role diminished this year with Peterson's improved receiving skills. If AD works on his blocking this offseason(along with ball security) Taylor is practically useless, other than spelling Peterson for rest.

With his departure it leaves us the ability to pick up a corner. Winfield's run has come to an end. I'd like us to pick up Leigh Bodden or Dunta Robinson(especially if we play more man on the corners,) they're the only guys that would be unrestricted from that list of corners. Marlin Jackson and Richard Marshall would be great for playing in the Tampa 2, but they'll be restricted if there is no agreement reached.

It should be very interesting. I hope a deal is reached and Favre announces he is staying by February 27th, that will make it much easier for us to attract free agents, as well as keep our guys. Ideally we keep Edwards, Taylor, and Jackson, and sign a corner. Then we draft BPA, and go play in 2010.
    Excellent post........

I just don't see us doing much in the way of FA this year. Mostly because of how successfull they've been in the draft lately.

We are getting to the point were the coaches can look to the bench for the next starter instead of running directly to some Vet to fill the bill. In the end, isn't that the way its supposed to work?

Anyway...........Some thoughts.

QB. The Noodle is coming back, if for no other reason than to torment me. JK, he signed a 2 year contract for a reason. That reason had to be that everyone concerned new that it would take 2 years to get it done. They will go ahead and resign TJ, release Sage and draft another kid early to sit the bench/groom. I've seen 2 different insider articles that said they have been down (along with a bunch of other teams) for repeated looks at a kid named Tim Hiller.

CT. I know that RB's with as many years in the league as CT start to get pushed to the curb, however, I think that he will garner alot of interest from several teams. Rationale is that he has been a backup most of his career and doesn't have the wear and tear on his wheels as a back with his tenure that has been a starter thier whole career. In the end, that interest will drive the price up a bit and CT will opt to go for that last "Payday" to take care of his family.

The Vikes on the other hand have a real nice prospect in Albert. Ian still in the wings waiting a chance. Having said all that, I think CT will be in another uniform next year.

CB. We sure have alot of money invested in that position don't we. I sure hope Ricky Boy and Bryzcheapski wrote the contracts, especially Whinny's, so that we can get out of them if we need to go in another direction.

Bigger question is, do we have a replacement on the roster already? Sapp played better than I expected and when give the chance, Asher didn't do to bad either. Gonna be interesting how they work that position this offseason.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    Also something to remember ... if there is no agreement ... any player that has been in the league less than seven years (they need six years of experience) would automatically become a RFA (for instance: players like Miles Austin, Elvis Dumervil, Nick Collins, Darren Sproles, Brandon Marshall, Kirk Morrison, DeMeco Ryans, Dunta Robinson, etc. that would all be unrestricted otherwise).
    I've been out of the pocket for a spell, however, heard some stuff on the radio last night that a few teams can't participate in the FA market?

Anyone know what that is all about?

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    skum wrote:
    Due to the new rules of the CBA, we can only sign a free agent if we lose one.. That goes for all of the final 8 teams
    This clause is most definitely not "set in stone" so to speak and there is some debate whether or not it will even be implemented and exactly how it will work.

Also, I personally think a bargaining agreement will be reached.

That said ... if this rule is in effect full forced, you will not only not be allowed to sign unless you lose, but you cannot ONLY re-sign someone of equal or lesser value.

The major issue though ... if there is not an agreement and this goes into effect, essentially every single player will become RFA (with a few exceptions) anyways.

It is all very jumbled and hard for everyday folks like us to follow.
    OK, I think this answers my last question. So the 8 teams in the Playoffs can't be FA players unless they loose someone of equal value??????

This is gonna make my head hurt.

Midge Resurrected wrote:
    That is a great list.

Unfortunately, most of the RFAs are not going to be attainable I think, which leaves McClain out of reach.

But going down the list, we could really upgrade and add some depth:

HB - If we let Taylor go, I would love to see us go after Caddy personally

FB - Leonard Weaver was a target for us before and could be a huge addition

OT - Jamaal Brown would be a very nice addition. Obviously Gaither would be a solid pick up, but would be too pricey as a RFA.

DE - Just re-sign Ray Edwards

LBs - Dansby would be a solid addition, as would Thomas Howard I think. In the middle, Kirk Morrison is one of the most underrated players in the league and would be a HUGE upgrade for us, especially if E.J. is slow in coming back

CB - Would love to see us pursue Robinson. Also would not mind Rodgers or even Jackson for depth in the secondary

S - Ryan Clark could make a monster impact in our secondary. I would also love to add Atogwe, who is another player waiting to breakout on a good team.
    RB will be solved by promoting Albert....

FB - We didn't sign Weaver cause he wanted to much. Can you imagine what he is asking now? Just don't see them investing that much money in that position.

T - This position really makes my head hurt. Wonder what the CAP hit would be if we let Big Mac walk? That hit would/will drive how much they can spend on a replacement. Wonder if Radovich is ready?

DE - Agree.

MLB - I think Jasper will be given the chance to start next year if EJ isn't ready. Look for them to pluck a mid tier guy up off the market to back him up.

CB - Another roster position that makes my head hurt. Again, alot invested (as with LT) that might force us to either stay with Big Mac or at least resort to looking to the bench/draft for a solution.

S - Solution is already on the roster. No way they don't give Jamarcus or Tyrell the shot at the starters job after basically giving them a one year interview.

As I said previously, the goal of this staff is to grow thier own players. Because of the success they've had in the draft, we are going to see more and more of that instead of chasing "Big Name" free agents to fix wholes if players leave or get hurt.

Again, isn't that what we all really want?

jmcdon00 wrote:
    I think this bodes well for Tjack, probably the #1 free agent QB this year. hmy: hmy: hmy:
    I know I was hard on him there for a spell, but the more I watch how this kid approaches his role in the grand scheme of things, I just can't help but think he is going to be a damn fine Pro QB.

I think that he showed some nice growth when he was given the chance to play this year. The staff kept him at the #2 spot all season. The players seem to really support him. There just isn't anything better out there that we could bring in on the cheap to back up the Noodle.

In the end, our future will still reside with the Noodles decision, but I think we all know he is going to come back. TJ will continue to learn from the bench, as it should have been from the start, and we will draft a kid to groom behind the Noodle and TJ.

Other than his Pukey Greennnnnesssss, the QB position seems to be smoothing out a bit.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12