Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 70
  1. #21
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Ferguson to sign 1 year deal

    well there goes drafting a wr
    our wr core is set
    BB
    Rice
    Wade
    Ferg
    Allison

    not too shabby

    Pissing on the Pack since 08'

  2. #22
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ferguson to sign 1 year deal

    you were close, but you forgot that you need to package your future away to move up in the draft.

  3. #23
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,849

    Re: Ferguson to sign 1 year deal

    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    well there goes drafting a wr
    our wr core is set
    BB
    Rice
    Wade
    Ferg
    Allison

    not too shabby
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/03/14/49ers-sign-bryant-johnson/

    We could have brought in Johnson for 1 year was well.

  4. #24
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ferguson to sign 1 year deal

    why not stallworth too?? hell lets get any free agent wr who ever did anything and sign them as vikigns.

  5. #25
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,849

    Re: Ferguson to sign 1 year deal

    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Dumb move.
    No other team wanted him and i don't want a blocking receiver, I want a talented receiver can block.

    Again with the bargin basement shopping. Why didn't they bring in pinkston or McCullen, while they were at it.
    I think he is the perfect fit for a number 4.
    In fact, I would almost say he is the prototype #4.
    You don't want a WR who has the chance of starting elsewhere in the spot, because quite simply you will lose him after a year then.
    Fergie already knows the system, and he was probably relatively cheap.

    Very good ROI in this case.
    I think Wade will best fit as a #4
    You crack me up please tell me, with our roster and our draft picks, what is your ideal situation?
    Let me guess; something like, drop everyone but BB and Rice, Trade for Moss, and draft WRs in rounds 1 and 3... is that close?
    :
    Actually it's not.
    We can however,
    draft a solid Wr at # 2 and slide BB in at the 3. Since 3 out of the 4 teams in our division run cover 2
    we might want our speed threat attacking either the
    oursides or the seams I prefer the seams because it will open the in route for our # 1 and 2/ TE and it is a throw Tjack has shown he can make. Having a speed threat in
    BB
    in the slot also opens up the drag(a route we threw a lot of last year deep.

    Anything thing else about my football knowledge you wish to question...

    BTW San fran( whose WR core looks a lot like ours) just
    sign BJohn to a 1 year contract. We should of signed him and let the best 4 battle it out. Signing Ferge just because is idiotic. you sign the best talent for comparable money.

  6. #26
    NodakPaul's Avatar
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    West Fargo, ND
    Posts
    17,599
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ferguson to sign 1 year deal

    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Dumb move.
    No other team wanted him and i don't want a blocking receiver, I want a talented receiver can block.

    Again with the bargin basement shopping. Why didn't they bring in pinkston or McCullen, while they were at it.
    I think he is the perfect fit for a number 4.
    In fact, I would almost say he is the prototype #4.
    You don't want a WR who has the chance of starting elsewhere in the spot, because quite simply you will lose him after a year then.
    Fergie already knows the system, and he was probably relatively cheap.

    Very good ROI in this case.
    I think Wade will best fit as a #4
    What?
    Wade is absolutely perfect in the slot role.
    Holy crap!

    BB and Rice on the outside, Wade in the slot, Fergie or sometimes Allision coming in for 4 WR sets and occasionally trips.

    Wade as the #4?
    No way.
    Just to be sure, I want to make sure we are using the same terminology here.

    We really have three different types of receivers.
    The split end, the flanker, and the slot.
    (OK, I guess technically there are 4, but you never really see a back receiver anymore...)

    The split end is on the line of scrimmage.
    He has to be to meet the rule of having 7 players on the line.
    He is opposite side from the TE, who is also on the line.
    The split end is always the furthers from center on his side.
    This is often called the X receiver. Normally a big, powerful person who can take the jam from the defender, since he is right on the line.
    I see Rice in this spot.

    The flanker is often who people refer to as the #1 receiver.
    He doesn't line up on the line of scrimmage, and uses the cushion to generate speed to get past the jam instead of power.
    If there is a TE, the flanker lines up on the TE's side.
    This is also known as the Z receiver.
    I suspect we will see Berrian more in this role.

    The slot is the extra WR in the mix.
    If there is a TE on the field, he would link up by the split end, and off from the line of scrimmage.
    If there isn't, he tends to line up on the flanker side, and on the line.
    This is the Y receiver.
    He usually needs to have decent hands in short yardage situations, and because he is more inside than the X or Z, he runs a lot of crossing or short curl routes.
    Rarely do you see a Y go deep, but it happens, especially if there is some kind of misdirection in the play.
    Normally, I see Wade in this spot.
    Great hands in short yardage situations.

    That brings us to the #4, which I don't know any other name for.
    He will either line up like a slot (when the slot isn't on the field) or opposite the slot.
    The number four is almost always on the strong side, and should be a decent run blocker because he is really a wild card.
    Seeing 4 WRs or trips with him in the formation should not signal pass or run.
    I think Fergie best fits this role.

    Now I realize that there are people on here with a better football knowledge than me.
    That is how I learned the positions though.
    And with that, I think that Wade is the best option for a slot, and Fergie is the best at #4.
    If I am incorrect or outdated in my assumptions about the WR corps, please tell me...
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

    =Z=

  7. #27
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,776
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Ferguson to sign 1 year deal

    I could be wrong, but i was under the impression that the Z reciever was the slot, and thw Y was the flanker.

  8. #28
    kevoncox's Avatar
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,849

    Re: Ferguson to sign 1 year deal

    "i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    why not stallworth too?? hell lets get any free agent wr who ever did anything and sign them as vikigns.
    The point guy was that Johnson signed a 1 year deal on the same day Ferge was out there. I doubt the difference in contracts are as vast. I onsider Johnson a much better WR. I don't explain how you jumped to every FA
    :
    >

  9. #29
    dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,051

    Re: Ferguson to sign 1 year deal

    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "NodakPaul" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    Dumb move.
    No other team wanted him and i don't want a blocking receiver, I want a talented receiver can block.

    Again with the bargin basement shopping. Why didn't they bring in pinkston or McCullen, while they were at it.
    I think he is the perfect fit for a number 4.
    In fact, I would almost say he is the prototype #4.
    You don't want a WR who has the chance of starting elsewhere in the spot, because quite simply you will lose him after a year then.
    Fergie already knows the system, and he was probably relatively cheap.

    Very good ROI in this case.
    I think Wade will best fit as a #4
    You crack me up please tell me, with our roster and our draft picks, what is your ideal situation?
    Let me guess; something like, drop everyone but BB and Rice, Trade for Moss, and draft WRs in rounds 1 and 3... is that close?
    :
    Actually it's not.
    We can however,
    draft a solid Wr at # 2 and slide BB in at the 3. Since 3 out of the 4 teams in our division run cover 2
    we might want our speed threat attacking either the
    oursides or the seams I prefer the seams because it will open the in route for our # 1 and 2/ TE and it is a throw Tjack has shown he can make. Having a speed threat in
    BB
    in the slot also opens up the drag(a route we threw a lot of last year deep.

    Anything thing else about my football knowledge you wish to question...

    BTW San fran( whose WR core looks a lot like ours) just
    sign BJohn to a 1 year contract. We should of signed him and let the best 4 battle it out. Signing Ferge just because is idiotic. you sign the best talent for comparable money.
    Draft a guy to be a number 2 wr? are u kidding me? we dont know if rice can be our number one, and why would we spend all thaty money on BB to make him our 3rd wr thats insane. Ferg will be a 4/5 wr with allison. and i doubt johnson would have came to us to be the number four guy, thats why he left arizona, cause he was the 3rd wr.

    Pissing on the Pack since 08'

  10. #30
    adamkirsch is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    36

    Re: Ferguson to sign 1 year deal

    I don't agree that no WR will be drafted.
    While this signing gives us a better WR corp, it's hardly some sort of untouchable all-star corp of receivers.
    My opinion is that it's still a below average (though no longer horrid) group of receivers.
    Consider:

    Rice -- Rookie who showed some flashes of greatness but still has a lot to prove
    Berrian -- A good addition, but in all reality he'd be a decent #2 receiver for most teams; Vikes fans salivated over him mostly b/c previously we had one of
    worst WR corps in the league.

    [b]Wade[b] -- Decent #3 or 4 guy who probably was our best receiver last year, though I think he would have been sitting at the end of the WR depth chart on many other teams.
    Allison -- Rookie who didn't do much as a rookie receiver; admittedly wasn't given too much of a look but that should say enough considering how weak our receivers were.
    Ferguson
    -- Packers reject who appears to be most noted for his downfield blocking.
    I think it's pretty sad when that's a receiver's most hallowed quality.

    Rice and Berrian are locks, but I truly think that Wade and especially Allison and Ferguson might have trouble even making the roster of many other NFL teams.

    In sum, I hardly think the team is set at WR and would hardly be upset if we take one with a #2 or 3 pick, or bring in a Bryant Johnston or DJ Hackett.


Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Falcons sign Ray Edwards to 5 year deal
    By MulletMullitia in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 08-10-2011, 06:49 PM
  2. Eagles sign WR Hank Baskett to 1-year deal
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-24-2009, 01:33 PM
  3. Bengals sign Ben Utecht to 3 year deal
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2008, 06:42 AM
  4. Chiefs sign Huard to three-year deal
    By Zeus in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-01-2007, 05:33 AM
  5. Packers sign Marquand SS Manuel to 5 year deal
    By Jordan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 03-12-2006, 10:22 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •