Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re:Favre's LT Recruitment Limited

NodakPaul wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    NodakPaul wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    On a side note, I sure the hell wish the Noodle would stay the hell out of player recruitment......Isn't that Ole Ricky boys job?
    Out of curiosity, would you say the same thing about AD or Rice helping out with recruitment? Is it ALWAYS "Ole Ricky boys job", or only when you don't like the player doing the recruitment?
    I think I have been pretty consistent in this area.....

Suffice it to say, I believe players play, coaches coach and front office pukes bring the talent in.

Do other entities get involved? Sure. I don't think it is out of the question for the brass to setup a dinner/social function with the coaches and players in an effort to spin things in a good light.

But, only in that context. I don't want players out canvasing the FA market in an effort to bring cats in even if it is AD or El Syd.
    Are you REALLY implying that is what Favre did here?
    LOL, heavens no. Truth of the matter is, I actually tried to add that caveat after I re-read my post.

On a side note, he did try before when he was in PUKER land though so I don't think it would be out of the question to worry about it.

Again, I don't think he did though.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Suffice it to say, I believe players play, coaches coach and front office pukes bring the talent in.
    Sure, thats the way their roles are defined and the way things work most of the time, but it seems pretty obvious to me that there's going to be some cross over among them in many situations...I'd say thats more of a guideline than a rule.

A vet guy like BF or LT is going to get a bit more respect and attention to what he says than younger, unproven players, and those younger players will learn tips, techniques etc from their older brethen that might not be sinking in from the coaches.

The coaches are obviously going to be involved with personel choices as they determine who fits the system and why.

Playing with HOF players if probably enticing to most players. Most of these guys grow up fans too, and the more successful players you're playing with, the more likely you are going to be successful as a team! IF getting a call from or shaking the hand of a guy can help sway the decision, why not!?

Back to this situation, I've been trying to look at it from LT's perspective...him and his family are moving to another state...at least, temporarily. He's always been the man on the team and in his town. Naturally, having a friend in place always makes moving to a new state a bit easier.

Favre's short response that says nothing and Peterson's lack of involvement here may have been signs of two very large egos already in the house. In NY, he's got a trio of 2nd year guys at HC, RB, and QB who still have a lot to prove, so he can have a bigger bite of the hype, and most likely, way more advertising dollars than he'd have a shot at in MN!

I do wonder what/if we offered as much or more...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

mountainviking wrote:
    Sure, thats the way their roles are defined and the way things work most of the time, but it seems pretty obvious to me that there's going to be some cross over among them in many situations...I'd say thats more of a guideline than a rule.
    I agree, thats why I said.....

Do other entities get involved? Sure. I don't think it is out of the question for the brass to setup a dinner/social function with the coaches and players in an effort to spin things in a good light.
    A vet guy like BF or LT is going to get a bit more respect and attention to what he says than younger, unproven players, and those younger players will learn tips, techniques etc from their older brethen that might not be sinking in from the coaches.
    Trust me, if something isn't sinking in from what the coaches are trying to convey, that cat won't be around long.

The coaches are obviously going to be involved with personel choices as they determine who fits the system and why.
    I actually almost agree with you on this point. From what I've read, the process works like this (Under a typical GM/HC relationship)
    a. The coaches define what scheme they want to run.
    b. The scouts, under the GM try to find players that fit that scheme.
    c. The GM and the scouts, then rank those players.
    d. The GM then briefs the coaching staff on the candidates based on thier availability. In this case, FA Vets, the list isn't going to be to long. When it comes to the draft, the list of candidates will be much longer for each position.
    e. Coaches will concur, nonconcur with the recommendations.
    f. The GM, with the help of his legal dept/Capologist will then try to land the best candidate within budget constraints.

In the end, alot of players are looked at by the scouting staff long before the coaching staff ever gets pulled into the process.

Playing with HOF players if probably enticing to most players. Most of these guys grow up fans too, and the more successful players you're playing with, the more likely you are going to be successful as a team! IF getting a call from or shaking the hand of a guy can help sway the decision, why not!?
    I actually think that in some cases, this can be a detriment, ala LT.

These cats are looking for money. To get the money they usually have alot of escalator clauses/incentives lined up in them. If they are going to be in a system were there are alot of cats that are gonna demand alot of reps (Vikes-AD), they will opt out of that situation and go to a place (Jets-Greene) were they have a better shot at getting gametime reps which will in turn help meet those escalators.

Back to this situation, I've been trying to look at it from LT's perspective...him and his family are moving to another state...at least, temporarily. He's always been the man on the team and in his town. Naturally, having a friend in place always makes moving to a new state a bit easier.

Favre's short response that says nothing and Peterson's lack of involvement here may have been signs of two very large egos already in the house. In NY, he's got a trio of 2nd year guys at HC, RB, and QB who still have a lot to prove, so he can have a bigger bite of the hype, and most likely, way more advertising dollars than he'd have a shot at in MN!
    I'm tracking with all of that. See my previous comment.

I am 100% convinced that the comments between AD and Brown have some sort of lingering effect here. Go back last year and see how it affected him. He basically came out and said he was gonna devout the rest of the season to prove them wrong, which he didn't do by the way.

Now (From his perspective) he is looking at two teams that have a good shot at contending again, one has basically no starter other than a kid who gets hurt all the time and the other has the cat you have been compared to, in a bad light might I add.

I do wonder what/if we offered as much or more...?
    I think the articles say it was pretty close, however, I bet it was lower than the Jets as we know how ole Bryzcheapski can work the numbers.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Rockmolder wrote:
    Source: Favre's LT recruitment limited

By Ed Werder

Favre told Tomlinson that he had "no clue" whether he would return to the Vikings for what would be his 20th season in the league. Having spent the 2008 season with the New York Jets, Favre simply told Tomlinson that both franchises were led by good people who could help make the running back successful, according to the source.
    Two future Hall of Famers chatting on the phone, both nearing the end of their illustrious careers, and the subject of retirement never comes up.
    Tomlinson: Favre didnt tip hand about future plans

I wonder how the Noodle told LT he didn't have a clue. Judging by this report, the subject didn't come up?

Looks like the NFLN will be hacking on ole Ed again tonight. LOL, I wonder when that cat will learn to stay away from the Noodle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12