singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Fans say stay put with picks

Posted on Sat, Apr. 22, 2006

[size=18px]Fans say stay put with picks[/size]

E-RANT

No! They're in a great position with three of the first 51 picks and have two picks in the third round. Their biggest need is linebacker, and with that position being one of the strongest position in this year's draft, they should get either Ernie Sims of Florida State or Chad Greenway of Iowa. They can get that "quarterback of the future" with one of their second-round picks. They can get well with five first-day picks, but giving up two or more picks to move up a few spots would be stupid!

Rich, Cottage Grove

The Vikings should not trade up in the draft, but they should package their draft picks together for Randy Moss of the Raiders and Daunte Culpepper of the Dolphins. Wait, no general manager in his right mind would make those two trades. Instead, just trade all of the draft picks for the Buccaneers' pirate ship that blows smoke. At least it would give the fans something to watch next season.

Eric, Richfield

While I can understand why (Vikings coach Brad) Childress would like to start his NFL head-coaching career by drafting his future quarterback, I would like to see them stand pat and find one of the very good linebackers in a linebacker-rich draft. The one missing piece to this defense is a playmaking, sideline-to-sideline linebacker who can fit into this new defensive scheme. The Vikings should get a good one, even with the 17th pick. Then stand pat and pick up some nice players and add some depth to a team that is good enough with Brad Johnson to make a run this season. As for the Atlanta backup quarterback (Matt Schaub), I don't think the Falcons will trade him this season knowing that Vick is injury prone. The Vikings could wait till next season and try to land him, or maybe look to obtaining Brett Favre. That is if he has made a decision for his family yet.

Kingpin03

The Vikings have the best draft postion they have had since last year when they blew it drafting (Troy) Williamson at No. 7 and (Erasmus) James later. They should take the best player at No. 17 and then fill needs through the third round. Five picks in the first three rounds go a long way in filling up the depth chart. I don't see a game-changing back in the draft, except (Reggie) Bush. I'm not high on (Laurence) Maroney as a pro. The only way they should trade up is if could give up three of your first five picks and get (Matt) Leinart. He could come in today and run the offense better than (Mike) McMahon.

Sen91

What an exciting draft day for Vikings fans! Even better than last year, in my opinion. They have added enough talent through free agency that they can draft the best players available. New ownership, new coach, Culpepper's departure, Brad Johnson's age and even the signing of Mike McMahon all point toward drafting a quarterback (or using draft picks to acquire Falcons backup QB Matt Schaub). Short of acquiring Schaub (ideally for a second- and fourth-rounder), here's what I would like to see happen. Package the late second-round pick with the 17th pick to trade up for Ohio State linebacker A.J. Hawk. From what I've read, he could step in as a productive starter, and the Vikings definitely have a need at linebacker. In the second round, draft (quarterback Charlie) Whitehurst if he's available, otherwise take the best right tackle available. If the Vikings do not trade up, I would like to see them take a versatile offensive lineman with their first-round pick (No. 17).

Micturated

Fans say stay put with picks

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Re: Fans say stay put with picks

I think me and Eric will get along. Anyway, we shouldnt trade up. Stay put and build a good team.
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Personally I think we should trade up.. This would be the year to do it.. We actually have alot of picks and not too many holes to fill

Either way I don't care though

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"DaunteHOF" wrote:
    I think me and Eric will get along. Anyway, we shouldnt trade up. Stay put and build a good team.
    Yep, great minds think alike! :roll:

Anyway, I would stay put too. If Young or Cutler falls to #12 or 13, then I might pull the trigger and trade up, but to trade away the farm for a top 10 pick doesn't make much sense, IMO. I think that Croyle and Whitehurst and possibly Jacobs (even though I don't know much about him) will all make fine draft choices in the 2nd or 3rd round. Stay put, draft a linebacker, and go from there.

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    Personally I think we should trade up.. This would be the year to do it.. We actually have alot of picks and not too many holes to fill

I second, if we feel like we can get one of the top prospects this would an excellent year to do so.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Hehe, I like how people say LB is our biggest need. We have several very physically gifted players already on our roster, all they need is coaching.

We have a 38 year old quarterback and two horrible players behind him on the depth chart. I mean Brad isn't spectacular to begin with, but how many games do you honestly expect to win with Mike McMAhon at QB?

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

"Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:

NOT TOO MANY HOLES TO FILL?!?!?! Ok, sure, we added an OG, ONE LB, a SS, fullback, and a RB!!! DO you seriously think we can run a successful Cover 2 without getting another CB, two more GOOD LBs!!! I don't see the point in trading up in the draft to get a QB just so he can sit on the bench just like Aaron Rodgers did!!! Green Bay could have used that pick on a position they really needed!!! But no they decided to take a BACKUP QB and look how good they did this season!!! HEY if you guys want to have a bad record this season because we wasted 2 or 3 picks just to move up and take a QB, then fine with me!!! I just can't wait until half way through the season people are crying about our defense and how much EJ Henderson sucks!!! LB is the most plentiful position in the draft this year!!! It also is the biggest hurt for Minnesota!!! SOOOO why not take a LB this year and worry about the QB situation later!!! you know what, everybody is so gung-ho on Shaub, we should give them our next year first round pick and a second round pick this year!!! YEAH!!! :twisted: :shock:
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Hehe, I like how people say LB is our biggest need. We have several very physically gifted players already on our roster, all they need is coaching.

We have a 38 year old quarterback and two horrible players behind him on the depth chart. I mean Brad isn't spectacular to begin with, but how many games do you honestly expect to win with Mike McMAhon at QB?

I don't like Mike either!!! Thats why i am starting the Brad Johnson injury prevention club!!! LOL!!! AGAIN it all comes down to the WCO!!! Why is Brad Johnson not a good player for WCO??? We pretty much ran the WCO last year, except we didn't really go anywhere on the ground and our passes were all check down receivers to our TE for 4 yds a pop!!! All Brad Johnson needs to do is come in and MANAGE the game!!! Make quick, DECISIVE passes over the middle and out in the flats!!! We don't need a QB that can scramble out of the pocket to make plays anymore!!! If Brad can come in and do what he did last season, aka MANAGE the game, then we will be fine, its when the QB starts to think he has to do everything by himself is when everything goes down hill and people start to get hurt!!! Just look at Bret Favre, He is a good QB (gasp), But as soon as he lost some players, he started to feel like he had to do everything on his own!!! Trust me i definately don't want to see Brad Johnson shovel pass the ball while being 5yds pass the line of scrimmage!!! We have a way beefed up left side of the line ( to protect him) and we got a RB that can come in and take pressure off Brad also (knock on wood)!!! We move Jim to TE along with Wiggans and have Richardson bowl over defenders!!! I am still a little worried about WR though!!! I think if we give the team time to gel, we will be just fine, so forget about it!!! :grin:
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin