Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Everything's New at Vikings Camp

I did a search on this and found no thread.. If one exist, I apologize.

Everything’s New at Vikings Camp

Date: Apr 7, 2006

The Vikings took the field with many changes – players, coaches, jersey numbers and schemes.

The 2006 version of the Minnesota Vikings is certainly different than previous renditions. On the field and on the coaching sidelines, new faces crowded the landscape of the Winter Park indoor practice facility. The changes were evident all around.

New head coach Brad Childress sent his message to the team last night.

His message was: “Just the way we are going to do business around here, that’s all, just my expectations for their standard of performance.”

CHANGES ON THE FIELD

On the offensive line, as first reported by scout.com, Anthony Herrera and Marcus Johnson were the starters at right guard and left guard, respectively. Adam Goldberg, Chris Liwienski (now wearing jersey number 67 after the acquisition of Steve Hutchinson, who is wearing Liwienski’s old 76) and Jason Whittle back up at guard while Mike Rosenthal and Mark Wilson, a practice squad player last year, back up at tackle.

Center Matt Birk has been cleared to practice fully.

“He did everything that we asked him to do today,” Childress said. “Although we are pulling off, we’re finishing plays but we’re trying to respect the guys. We don’t want piles, we don’t want tangles, but he was involved in everything from one-on-one to all of the team sessions.”

Richard Owens, a tight end last year, switched jersey numbers and responsibilities, wearing number 33 and working with the fullbacks and running back.

With Chester Taylor as the starter at running back, Mewelde Moore participated in the individual drills but wasn’t able to catch a ball as he recovered from wrist surgery.

On defense the line and linebackers were busy switching positions. While Kenechi Udeze, who has been working to recover from microfracture surgery, was at left end and Erasmus James at right end, the second line was busy rotating at end and tackle. Kevin Williams and Pat Williams remain the starters inside, but the rest of the defensive linemen rotated between tackle and end.

The same was true at linebacker. The only player limited to one position was newly acquired Ben Leber, who remained on the strong side. E.J. Henderson, Dontarrious Thomas and Napoleon Harris moved from weakside to middle linebacker, depending on the situation.

Fred Smoot was in his familiar right cornerback spot, but he was donning jersey number 21 instead of last year’s 27. Safety Corey Chavous, now with the Rams, wore 21 last year.

Second-year player Dustin Fox, who spent last year on injured reserve, was playing cornerback instead of his listed position of safety.

Safety Willie Offord didn’t take part in the drills while still recovering from a torn ACL last year. He was wearing a brace, but didn’t participate in the physical activity. Head coach Brad Childress said Offord should be better for the camp next month.

The first practice and the new regime Friday was an adjustment for everyone, players and coaches alike.

“I think the important thing that our guys have learned over the last couple of weeks is that everybody teams differently,” Childress said. “Everybody is motivated differently. Some people learn by seeing, some people learn by a diagram, some learn by a walk-through, and it’s up to our coaches to ascertain how it is every one of those guys is motivated and how it is that every one of those guys learns. I think they did a good job of that.”

Smoot and Hutch got their original numbers back..

Prophet Guest

Re: Everything's New at Vikings Camp

Nice to see things getting geared up. I appreciate their awareness that everyone learns differently and they are trying to learn the best learning strategies for each person. Something that is often overlooked.

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

I like that Smoot's back to wearing #21. That defense is starting to sound awesome (on paper at least). Can't wait to see it run.
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Sounds like this is gonna be a "no-nonsense" team and Childress expects a lot from his players.
    Good to hear Matt Birk looked strong.
    I think this coaching staff is seeing some things in players that Tice and the rest of his staff never saw. That could make things a lot more interesting as the draft moved closer.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Dustin Fox can turn out to be a huge asset for this team if he can adequately fill in at CB as well as S. I think he'll be a regular at Safety in the future but if he has the ability to platoon between the two and start on special teams, he will be a very nice player on this team.

[color=red]

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

On the offensive line, as first reported by scout.com, Anthony Herrera and Marcus Johnson were the starters at right guard and left guard, respectively. Adam Goldberg, Chris Liwienski (now wearing jersey number 67 after the acquisition of Steve Hutchinson, who is wearing Liwienski’s old 76) and Jason Whittle back up at guard while Mike Rosenthal and Mark Wilson, a practice squad player last year, back up at tackle.
    Believe it should be Herrera at right guard and Johnson at right tackle.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Q & A Childress and Wilf after 1st practice

http://www.vikings.com/news_detail_objectname_QuotesMCamp4706.html

Head Coach Brad Childress

Listen to Head Coach Brad Childress

Ok, injuries, Mewelde Moore participated in all the individual drills. He is unable to catch a ball through his rehabilitation, but he did a good job out there. (Ben) Leber went through the whole practice session and then Willie Offord went through the warmup and the individual. He should be ready for the next camp. We had a nice, crisp first day of practice here. This is the beginning of a process for us. Just like the free agent period, this starts our offseason. They started lifting and lifting a couple of weeks ago. This is their first practice session. They are trying to get acclimated to our system, our tempo, our drills, our coaches, but I thought they did a nice job of kind of taking the bid here in the first practice. We're going to pile on some more information here at 1:30 and hit it again (this afternoon). It will slow down just a bit but very good tempo for the first day.

Q: How does it feel for you to finally be able to get out on the field?
    A: It feels great. Just like I told those coordinators that are used to hustling around when the horn blows to their position, it is always different when you are walking around and you're responsible for everything and not responsible for just running down with the quarterbacks or wide receivers. You've got to find your niche there.

Q: Is there a message you have to send right away when you are the head coach?
    A: Yeah, that message got sent last night.

Q: What was that?
    A: Just the way we are going to do business around here, that's all. Just my expectations for their standard of performance.

Q: What do you think of the schedule?
    A: I just talked yesterday about starting in the NFC with those first five games. Four out the first five are NFC opponents and then hopefully we are controlling our own destiny down the pipe there with three division opponents.

Q: Is it just as hard for the coaches to get adjusted to the players as it is for the players to adjust to the coaches?
    A: I think the important thing that our guys have learned over the last couple of weeks is that everybody learns differently. Everybody is motivated differently. Some people learn by seeing, some people learn by a diagram, some learn by a walk-through, and it's up to our coaches to ascertain how it is every one of those guys is motivated and how it is that every one of those guys learns. I think they did a good job of that.

Q: What do you have to do differently as a new coaching staff to get them up to speed?
    A: You have to teach. You're starting with a whole new system. Some of these guys have been through a version of this system, like Brad Johnson. Koren Robinson has been through a version of this system, but you have to teach them again all of the terminology and the nomenclature and you have to teach them tempo too. You have to teach them how you want them to practice. I think those are probably the two biggest things.

Q: How is Matt Birk doing and has he been cleared to do whatever he wants?
    A: Yeah, he did everything that we asked him to do today. Although we are pulling off, we're finishing plays but we're trying to respect the guys. We don't want piles, we don't want tangles, but he was involved in everything from one-on-one to all of the team sessions.

Q: How important will it be for your line to have him back?
    A: He's the guy that is in there talking and he's the guy that is telling everybody which direction to go. That's huge to have a center that is a smart guy, that is a physical player in there directing both sides of that line.

Q: How was Steve Hutchinson's first practice?
    A: I wasn't so much zeroed in on him. I've got other places I've got to watch. That's why I've got that tape that I can go back in and watch right now. It's hard to watch all 11. I had my eyes somewhere else, but I'll let you know later.

Q: Could you talk about your decision with Anthony Herrera at right guard?
    A: Yeah, I wouldn't make too much out of that. We are rolling a number of guys through there and we're asking them to be position flexible. We're asking guys to play tackle that normally play guard and see if they have an aptitude that way. We're rolling a number of guys through there. I wouldn't make too much of him being the starter.

Q: Could you talk about your quarterback situation?
    A: I'm okay with it right now. I'm okay with it right now. I thought they did a nice job of throwing the football and moving the football around.

Q: How happy were you when Mike McMahon became available?
    A: I don't know if I deal in happy that much, but we were certainly interested and I wanted to be able to talk to him one-on-one. He had some other suitors, but I was glad we were able to kind of corral him and have him be a part of us.

Q: You talk about moving guys in and out, is that the same situation at linebacker?
    A: Position flexible is really important for guys to be able to play over the tight end, be able to play out in air. As I mentioned to you, part of our evaluation process is not only looking at them on tape last year, and not trying to have any preconceived notions, but it's also watching them practice, watching them learn, and then watching them with your own eyes out here and coaching the stuff that is part of your system. We're having all of those guys be flexible.

Q: Is there one guy you are looking at to step up at wide receiver with Nate Burleson gone?
    A: No, I think all of those guys are going to have to step up because it's a progression offense. You know, we want somebody to step up and he's the number one guy and they are gloving him and the defense knows he's the number one guy, then we've got to be able to progress through our read. So really all of them have an equal part of that.

Vikings Owner Zygi Wilf

Listen to Owner Zygi Wilf

Q: What is this like to watch the new coaching staff that you hired?
    A: Quite honestly I'm looking forward to having the season start tomorrow. I can't wait for it. The discipline and the enthusiasm I've seen over the last couple of days here really bodes well for us this coming season.

Q: Any update on the stadium issue?
    A: Well we were very happy to see the House of Representatives last night voted to approve the Gophers' stadium. Our position has always been that we are in favor of a three-stadium solution. I think it's an opportunity that comes once in a lifetime to get all three done, and the House went a long way in getting the Gophers' deal done. Both we and the Twins look forward to being heard in the respective houses, and I think we'll be able to move it forward. I'm glad to have the opportunity to be heard and to be looked at seriously. I think it's very important for the state and for our fans to have all three stadiums. I think we're on the right road here.

Q: Does this feel more like your team now that you've had a year and had the chance to make some changes?
    A: Well it hasn't even been a year since we became owners, but certainly it's a great feeling to have the experience behind me. I look forward to our new coaching staff and a lot of new players. Not only is this our team, but we're trying to do the best to bring a championship-caliber squad back to Minnesota.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

A few notes that I enjoyed to hear

"Center Matt Birk has been cleared to practice fully. "
    "Smoot and Hutch got their original numbers back.."

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Looks like we're about to rip ish up!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Notes from KFAN on todays early practice.

http://vikings.kfan.com/sports/nflguide/local/story.aspx?content_id=D27D3A40-7524-4638-AAD5-01C54571F

Vikings mini camp: Day 1 News and Notes
    Last Update: 4/7/2006 3:28:58 PM

Jon Buck
    KFAN.com

The Minnesota Vikings coaching staff began the task of evaluating talent as they began a three-day mini camp at Winter Park today.

As practice started the team stretched together and went through individual drills. The offense, wearing white and the defense, wearing purple went through various drills.
    -Running backs worked with balls that had a spandex coating, making it more difficult to grip.
    -Linebackers practiced shooting the gap and attacking lanes using upside down garbage cans.

Head Coach Brad Childress watched the running backs and linebackers with intensity and they drilled. New running back Chester Taylor excelled in drills and looks poised to accept his role as the feature back.

The offense and defense squared off and ran plays against each other while coaches evaluated players. Defensive Coordinator Mike Tomlin was very vocal and emphasised the importance of ball awareness.

Offensive Line
    -Center Matt Birk looked to be moving very well.
    -Steve Hutchinson was explosive off the line.
    -Mike Rosenthal moved well.

Linebackers -Linebackers fly towards the ball in the new Tampa 2 defense.
    -Ben Leber saw extended playing time, and looked aggressive.
    -E.J. Henderson and Dontarrious Thomas both looked agressive and explosive.

Wide Receivers & Tight Ends -Koren Robinson caught passes all over the field.
    -Tight end Jermaine Wiggins caught several passes as a check down receiver.
    -Tight end Richard Owens worked out with running backs.

Quarterbacks
    -Starting QB Brad Johnson looked comfortable and his passes were accurate.
    -Johnson moved well in rollout situations and made many good reads including a long pass down the sideline to WR Ryan Hoag.
    -Johnson's lone mistake was a pass intercepted by Fred Smoot.
    -Mike McMahon had passes that sailed long.
    -McMahon tucked the ball and ran a few times with some success.
    -J.T. O'Sullivan saw limited action.

Running Backs
    -Chester Taylor runs aggresive.
    -Ciatrick Fason had numerous carries and looks to be the #2 back.
    -Richard Owens, Joey Goodspeed and Tony Richardson all were active blocking.

Defensive Backs
    -Fred Smoot was the most active player, intercepting one and breaking up a few passes. After the interception, defensive coordinator yelled, "Pep-rally is over, next play."
    -Darren Sharper was active in the Tampa 2, swarming towards the ball.

Special Teams
    -Ryan Longwell was perfect on the day.
    -Chris Kluwe went through motions but did not punt the ball.
    -Long snapper Cullen Loeffler was spot on in both field goals and punts.

Notes...
    -Fred Smoot is now wearing #21
    -Troy Williamson is now wearing #82
    -All players attended except WR Aaron Hosack, CB Ronyell Whitaker and OT Sean Bubin, who are all playing in NFL Europe.
    -Coach Childress is happy with Matt Birk's progress and said, "He's doing everthing we've asked of him."
    -Vikings owner Zigi Wilf was happy the House of Representatives approved the Gopher Stadium plan. Wilf stated, "We just need the opportunity to be heard." He has a great feeling with the new coaching staff.

Vikings mini camp runs through April 9.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast