Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Del Rio Guest

Re: Espn's Analysis of Vikings First Day

"revprodeji" wrote:
    As a center it makes no sense, as a tackle/guard he would have been the best available. I think with his work ethic and his size it is a great gamble for us to take
    Not really.

The only difference between a center and a guard is the center snaps the ball.

I will not be surprised to see him excel as a right guard in our offense

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "kjdaddy" wrote:
    I don't get Cook in the 2nd???
    The guy is a beast.

He may be playing any position on the right side of the line, he may be our new right guard.
    Thank you DR!!

This is exactly what I've been thinking but I don't have the football credentials to back it up. It seems to me that the guy may be a bit raw but he really can be the guy that backs up the entire side of a line. He instantly gives us depth where we had none before. True, we may have been able to get him later in the draft but if you target a guy you want, why wait? There is no guarantee he wouldn't be taken by the next team in line.

Overall, I feel this was a so-so draft. I think we may have overpaid for Jackson but if Childress thinks he is worth it, then I'm willing to trust him.

I think the best judge of future performance is past performance and Foley did an excellent job with scouting in San Diego so I'm gonna trust him on some of these....for now.

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"Del Rio" wrote:
    "kjdaddy" wrote:
    I don't get Cook in the 2nd???
    The guy is a beast.

He may be playing any position on the right side of the line, he may be our new right guard.
    When it comes to judging people on the line, I trust Del the most. If this is the case then I don't disagree with any pick in the draft. I'll have to watch some videos on this guy. He seems like he can play any position on the line.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

i hope cook plays guard as del rio pointed out..i cant see us picking up a center that high just to back up a now healthy matt birk..we are pretty deep on the Oline now which gives us the opportunity to start cook at guard, and then slide him to center if birk has any injury problems
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

I'm in. Color me purple, but I believe, and want to believe. Cook was not a problem for me, and, I have recently been converted to Jackson. Its on the coaches. My job is to believe. I LOVE Greenway and Griffin, without help. Need to see about Cook and Jackson;but, I believe!

at least we didnt draft like the bills! :lol:

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"HornedHat" wrote:
    I'm in. Color me purple, but I believe, and want to believe. Cook was not a problem for me, and, I have recently been converted to Jackson. Its on the coaches. My job is to believe. I LOVE Greenway and Griffin, without help. Need to see about Cook and Jackson;but, I believe!
    This is the best F-ing post I have read all day!

Good F-ing post my brother!!!

Del Rio Guest

I'm no pro scout. I'm no professional football player, I tried I wasn't good enough.

I am however soon to be the graduate assistant defensive line coach for the university of utah utes. I have been an assistant for 3 years and it just so happens that the University of Utah plays New Mexico every year.

Last year in particular is important because Cook was on the game scouting report I had to do and present to the line. New Mexico was the only team we played that we had to FOCUS on the center.

The guy is made to be a guard. I wouldn't even be surprised if they tried him at tackle. He is just so damn big. He looks smaller then he is because the guy is 6'7 I imagine they will pork him up and make him play guard.

I like the pick. I respect the player. I watched him make a block on our MLB that won New Mexico the game last season. The guy gets off the ball fast and when he gets his hands on you your done.

We will see how he does in the NFL. ALL I am saying is don't expect him to play center, they probably have other ideas for him.

Birk is 30. he has three good years left. he may get hurt again, who knows< I like this pick. it is possible to draft on upside. is that not what titans did with young.
    We can solve poverty today.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

The picks are fine IMO. The draft is hit or miss.
    1st: Perfect pick, just what we needed. Should start right away at OLB.
    2nd: We needed a nickel CB. Should fill that need.
    2nd: I've heard that he will be playing tackle or guard on our right side. If so, I am happy with the pick. Looks like a monster.
    2nd: Tavaris Jackson: This pick has grown on me. no problem with it. Great athlete, good arm strength... unnoticed at a small school. Who knows what kind of potential he has?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast