Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

ESPN.com - Offseason Overview

Ok, youse mugs. I been woikin' on a new tunnel outta here, so's I ain't been able to talk to yas, y'know? But, mebbe dis will make up for it.
    ==================================================
    Minnesota Vikings

This was a good football team a year ago that seemed to lack discipline. New head coach Brad Childress will establish an environment of mental toughness and stress cutting down on the mistakes that haunted the Vikings in 2005. They were horrible on third down on both sides of the ball, finishing 30th in offensive conversions and 31st in defensive efficiency on third downs. That led to marginal time of possession and forced a good defense to be on the field too much.

In 2006, Minnesota will run a West Coast offense that is run-oriented with Childress calling the plays out of two-back sets. Defensively, coordinator Mike Tomlin will bring the Cover 2 defense from Tampa Bay. Both schemes appear to fit the Vikings' personnel very well. A big key will be quarterback Brad Johnson. If a revamped offensive line, led by All-Pro guard Steve Hutchinson from Seattle, can protect him, this can be a versatile, but safe offense capable of ball control.

Former Ravens running back Chester Taylor finally gets a chance to start, but he's never had over 160 carries in any NFL campaign. This will be a physical and efficient offense designed to chew up the clock and operate with improved discipline from a year ago.

The defensive personnel is better than the production they showed in 2005. The Vikings have an excellent defensive line rotation, led by mammoth tackles Pat Williams and Kevin Williams, and have a rock solid secondary, led by free safety Darren Sharper and cornerback Antoine Winfield. There is some work to do at linebacker, but this unit has depth and good speed. The Vikings will concentrate on getting more pressure on opposing quarterbacks (only 34 sacks in 2005) and concentrate on not giving up big plays and having coverage breakdowns (22nd in pass defense in 2005).

Minnesota was the most aggressive organization in the NFL this offseason. They had $31.5 million in salary-cap room with which to work, and owner Zygi Wilf let them spend it all on 10 quality free agents. In addition to the new players, Childress has the largest coaching staff in the NFL, with 21 assistants. The organization believes that the 9-7 team from a year ago badly underachieved and anything less than a solid playoff run will be a disappointment.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: ESPN.com - Offseason Overview

think this was posted some where else

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

jaymz7 is offline Asst. Coach

Even if it was posted before it is still good to hear some positive news on the Vikes.

Oh and Muggsy I hope the new tunnel will get you out in time to make it to some games this year.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Let's hope the discipline will get us over the hump!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Potus2028 is offline Hall of Famer

true that..

finally, i've been reading some really positive articles this year about the vikes

are any teams not optomistic going into next year?

we all want to say the packers, but in all seriousness.. who is not looking good next year?
    i m better than you, so just give up...

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

wow, positive things said about the Vikes.... not on PPO! I am amazed!

Thanks Lotza!

"Potus2028" wrote:
    true that..

finally, i've been reading some really positive articles this year about the vikes

we all want to say the packers, but in all seriousness.. who is not looking good next year?
    the packers =)

losing javon walker & al harris possibly not showing up to training camp, mike mccarthy head coach, also having a huge number of veterans skipping OTA's & practices, they're not lookin much better

5-11 i'll give them this year =)

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    "Potus2028" wrote:
    true that..

the packers =)

losing javon walker & al harris possibly not showing up to training camp, mike mccarthy head coach, also having a huge number of veterans skipping OTA's & practices, they're not lookin much better

5-11 i'll give them this year =)
    Man, you are being awful nice to them! :lol:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

yeah, i also think favre will only throw 26 interceptions this year (throw in at least 7 fumbles lost too)

=) im going easy on them

- Dan Calabrese