Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 73
  1. #21
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re:Eagles eyeing Ray Edwards, report says

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    I realize that, I was talking about players who aren't tendered.

    I know Ray has a first round tender on him, I get that part about it.

    Are you talking about perhaps a situation where if the eagles chose to sign him to the offer sheet, the Vikes matched but Ray wants to be an eagle?
    I think the only thing in question now is what happens if Ray doesn't sign the tender.

    These are the things of which I am sure:

    IF he signs it and no one offers him a contract by the RFA deadline, then he plays at the tender level next season for the Vikings unless they trade him.

    IF he signs it and someone offers him a contract and the Vikings don't match, he changes teams and the Vikings get that other teams first-rounder in this year's draft.

    IF he signs it and someone offers him a contract and the Vikings match, he stays on the Vikings, they pay him at the level of the offered contract and the other team gets nothing.

    IF the Vikings withdraw the tender, Edwards becomes a UFA.

    So - the questions are:
    1. If he doesn't sign it, can another team offer him a contract? (Currently, I'm leaning towards, "No".) That said, I bet he can negotiate a new deal with another team, sign the tender and then be offered the new deal.

    2. If he doesn't sign it and is not offered a contract by the deadline, then does he just sit until he does sign it? (My guess is "Yes".)

    3. If he NEVER signs it, does that affect his status in 2011 (assuming there is a season in 2011)? (My guess is "No." Since UFA and RFA is based upon service time, if he doesn't play, he doesn't accrue service time).

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    5

    Re:Eagles eyeing Ray Edwards, report says

    Zeus wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    I realize that, I was talking about players who aren't tendered.

    I know Ray has a first round tender on him, I get that part about it.

    Are you talking about perhaps a situation where if the eagles chose to sign him to the offer sheet, the Vikes matched but Ray wants to be an eagle?
    I think the only thing in question now is what happens if Ray doesn't sign the tender.

    These are the things of which I am sure:

    IF he signs it and no one offers him a contract by the RFA deadline, then he plays at the tender level next season for the Vikings unless they trade him.

    IF he signs it and someone offers him a contract and the Vikings don't match, he changes teams and the Vikings get that other teams first-rounder in this year's draft.

    IF he signs it and someone offers him a contract and the Vikings match, he stays on the Vikings, they pay him at the level of the offered contract and the other team gets nothing.

    IF the Vikings withdraw the tender, Edwards becomes a UFA.

    So - the questions are:
    1. If he doesn't sign it, can another team offer him a contract? (Currently, I'm leaning towards, "No".) That said, I bet he can negotiate a new deal with another team, sign the tender and then be offered the new deal.

    2. If he doesn't sign it and is not offered a contract by the deadline, then does he just sit until he does sign it? (My guess is "Yes".)

    3. If he NEVER signs it, does that affect his status in 2011 (assuming there is a season in 2011)? (My guess is "No." Since UFA and RFA is based upon service time, if he doesn't play, he doesn't accrue service time).

    =Z=
    I could be wrong, but I disagree with your interpretation of the RFA rules. If Edwards signs his tender with the Vikings, then he ceases to be available - he 're-signed' with the club. The existence of a tender and its level, however, are what guarantee the Vikings the ability to:

    1.) Match any offer from another team; or,
    2.) Not match and receive a 2010 1st round draft pick.
    None

  3. #23
    bengele is offline Waterboy
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    8

    Re:Eagles eyeing Ray Edwards, report says

    GreenwayKillsPeople wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    I realize that, I was talking about players who aren't tendered.

    I know Ray has a first round tender on him, I get that part about it.

    Are you talking about perhaps a situation where if the eagles chose to sign him to the offer sheet, the Vikes matched but Ray wants to be an eagle?
    I think the only thing in question now is what happens if Ray doesn't sign the tender.

    These are the things of which I am sure:

    IF he signs it and no one offers him a contract by the RFA deadline, then he plays at the tender level next season for the Vikings unless they trade him.

    IF he signs it and someone offers him a contract and the Vikings don't match, he changes teams and the Vikings get that other teams first-rounder in this year's draft.

    IF he signs it and someone offers him a contract and the Vikings match, he stays on the Vikings, they pay him at the level of the offered contract and the other team gets nothing.

    IF the Vikings withdraw the tender, Edwards becomes a UFA.

    So - the questions are:
    1. If he doesn't sign it, can another team offer him a contract? (Currently, I'm leaning towards, "No".) That said, I bet he can negotiate a new deal with another team, sign the tender and then be offered the new deal.

    2. If he doesn't sign it and is not offered a contract by the deadline, then does he just sit until he does sign it? (My guess is "Yes".)

    3. If he NEVER signs it, does that affect his status in 2011 (assuming there is a season in 2011)? (My guess is "No." Since UFA and RFA is based upon service time, if he doesn't play, he doesn't accrue service time).

    =Z=
    I could be wrong, but I disagree with your interpretation of the RFA rules. If Edwards signs his tender with the Vikings, then he ceases to be available - he 're-signed' with the club. The existence of a tender and its level, however, are what guarantee the Vikings the ability to:

    1.) Match any offer from another team; or,
    2.) Not match and receive a 2010 1st round draft pick.
    This Seifert blog post would appear to back that up. How I understand it is that at the moment Edwards does not have a contract so he can get offers from other teams. If he signs his tender he is under contract and then can no longer get offers from other teams.

  4. #24
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Eagles eyeing Ray Edwards, report says

    Edwards already signed his tender with us. First round Tender.

  5. #25
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re:Eagles eyeing Ray Edwards, report says

    bengele wrote:
    GreenwayKillsPeople wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    I realize that, I was talking about players who aren't tendered.

    I know Ray has a first round tender on him, I get that part about it.

    Are you talking about perhaps a situation where if the eagles chose to sign him to the offer sheet, the Vikes matched but Ray wants to be an eagle?
    I think the only thing in question now is what happens if Ray doesn't sign the tender.

    These are the things of which I am sure:

    IF he signs it and no one offers him a contract by the RFA deadline, then he plays at the tender level next season for the Vikings unless they trade him.

    IF he signs it and someone offers him a contract and the Vikings don't match, he changes teams and the Vikings get that other teams first-rounder in this year's draft.

    IF he signs it and someone offers him a contract and the Vikings match, he stays on the Vikings, they pay him at the level of the offered contract and the other team gets nothing.

    IF the Vikings withdraw the tender, Edwards becomes a UFA.

    So - the questions are:
    1. If he doesn't sign it, can another team offer him a contract? (Currently, I'm leaning towards, "No".) That said, I bet he can negotiate a new deal with another team, sign the tender and then be offered the new deal.

    2. If he doesn't sign it and is not offered a contract by the deadline, then does he just sit until he does sign it? (My guess is "Yes".)

    3. If he NEVER signs it, does that affect his status in 2011 (assuming there is a season in 2011)? (My guess is "No." Since UFA and RFA is based upon service time, if he doesn't play, he doesn't accrue service time).
    I could be wrong, but I disagree with your interpretation of the RFA rules. If Edwards signs his tender with the Vikings, then he ceases to be available - he 're-signed' with the club. The existence of a tender and its level, however, are what guarantee the Vikings the ability to:

    1.) Match any offer from another team; or,
    2.) Not match and receive a 2010 1st round draft pick.
    This Seifert blog post would appear to back that up. How I understand it is that at the moment Edwards does not have a contract so he can get offers from other teams. If he signs his tender he is under contract and then can no longer get offers from other teams.
    Well - and I'm more than willing to accept that I might have the "if he signs" "if he doesn't sign" stuff wrong - then it really becomes a moot point.

    1. Another team signs him, no Viking match, 1st-rounder back.

    2. Another team signs him, Viking match, new contract for Ray.

    3. No other team signs him, Edwards does not sign tender, he sits.

    4. Edwards signs tender, Vikings have him for 2010 at the first-round tender price.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  6. #26
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re:Eagles eyeing Ray Edwards, report says

    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    Edwards already signed his tender with us. First round Tender.
    That's not what I've read multiple times today. He hasn't signed it, so, according to the last couple of posts, he's free to negotiate.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

  7. #27
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,777
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re:Eagles eyeing Ray Edwards, report says

    oh, well wtf? I thought he signed it.

  8. #28
    midgensa's Avatar
    midgensa is offline Jersey Retired Free Kick Specialist 3 Champion
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,310

    Re:Eagles eyeing Ray Edwards, report says

    Zeus wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    If he has not been tendered, he can sign freely with his new team, as Ravens restricted free agent tackle Adam Terry might do with the Colts.


    So i guess after the deadline or whatever, he's essentially an UFA.
    No! He was tendered by the Vikings. If he doesn't sign an offer with another team by the end of the restricted FA signing period (which ends 8 days before the draft) he cannot be signed by another team and either signs the tender and accepts the salary that goes with it or he sits at home, pouting and making nothing.

    The only way he becomes a UFA now is if the Vikings withdraw the tender.

    =Z=
    This is correct ... Edwards does not have to agree to anything (as it seems some people here think). He HAS been tendered.

    If he signs with another team, then we can match or get their first round pick THIS season (that is my understanding). It is that simple.

  9. #29
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re:Eagles eyeing Ray Edwards, report says

    Zeus wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    vikinggreg wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Reason number two: Edwards doesnít have to sign his tender offer from the Vikings.

    Thatís right Minnesota, Mr. Edwards actually has leverage. Not the way this was supposed to go.

    Whoops!

    Thanks to everybodyís best friend (at least for most of us here at MSF) Vikings beat writer for the Star Tribune Judd Zulgad (@JuddZulgad), I learned of this nightmare situation. Basically it means that Edwards can ignore the Vikings offer and accept an offer from another team, such as Philadelphia.

    If Philadelphia signs Edwards to a first and third round tender, that means in order for Minnesota to bring him back they would have to surrender their draft picks to Philadelphia. Not the way it should be.
    Ray Edwards Might Teach Vikings a Tough Lesson in Free Agency

    All right all you smart cats, how the hell can that happen?
    Wasn't the deadline for the rfa tender offers March 4th, how would the Eagles tender Edwards past the deadline?
    You bring up a good point. One would think that if they could do it, they would have done it under the deadline.

    Hmmmmmmm, the plot thickens. :huh:
    The Eagles cannot "tender" Edwards. He's not their RFA. Tenders are offered to RFAs by the team that owns their rights, in his case, the Vikings.

    The Vikings offered the tender on Edwards before the deadline. I am NOT sure what happens if he chooses not to sign it. A couple of articles (on Nick Collins) indicate that he, then, is under no obligation to come to the off-season activities. But I haven't found anything that suggests another team can sign him.

    Clearly, the author from MidwestSportsFans doesn't know what he's talking about since he writes about the Eagles offering Edwards a "first and third tender" which is just wrong. Only the team holding the restriction can offer a tender.

    =Z=
    Thanks for all the research. I'm leaning towards Ibleeds thought......

    Just another yutz media hack screwing up on the job.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #30
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,916

    Re:Eagles eyeing Ray Edwards, report says

    midgensa wrote:
    Zeus wrote:
    i_bleed_purple wrote:
    If he has not been tendered, he can sign freely with his new team, as Ravens restricted free agent tackle Adam Terry might do with the Colts.


    So i guess after the deadline or whatever, he's essentially an UFA.
    No! He was tendered by the Vikings. If he doesn't sign an offer with another team by the end of the restricted FA signing period (which ends 8 days before the draft) he cannot be signed by another team and either signs the tender and accepts the salary that goes with it or he sits at home, pouting and making nothing.

    The only way he becomes a UFA now is if the Vikings withdraw the tender.

    =Z=
    This is correct ... Edwards does not have to agree to anything (as it seems some people here think). He HAS been tendered.

    If he signs with another team, then we can match or get their first round pick THIS season (that is my understanding). It is that simple.
    I hope to all that is holy that they get the bargaining agreement done.

    This stuff makes my head hurt.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings eyeing Nate Washington
    By FuadFan in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 05:53 PM
  2. Injury report for Vikings-Eagles Wildcard Game
    By NodakPaul in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-03-2009, 09:59 AM
  3. McCombs eyeing an eventual return to NFL
    By singersp in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 08-10-2007, 01:29 PM
  4. Report: Vikings looking at Eagles exec as possible GM
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 05:14 AM
  5. Vikes still eyeing Sharper?
    By kyleo1967 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-13-2005, 06:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •