Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re:Eagles eyeing Ray Edwards, report says

Yeah I don't get how that works, because the way I have always remembered it was just if we match the other teams offer, we keep his rights. Otherwise we get the tendered round pick(s).

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

vikinggreg wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Reason number two: Edwards doesn’t have to sign his tender offer from the Vikings.

That’s right Minnesota, Mr. Edwards actually has leverage. Not the way this was supposed to go.

Whoops!

Thanks to everybody’s best friend (at least for most of us here at MSF) Vikings beat writer for the Star Tribune Judd Zulgad (@JuddZulgad), I learned of this nightmare situation. Basically it means that Edwards can ignore the Vikings offer and accept an offer from another team, such as Philadelphia.

If Philadelphia signs Edwards to a first and third round tender, that means in order for Minnesota to bring him back they would have to surrender their draft picks to Philadelphia. Not the way it should be.
    Ray Edwards Might Teach Vikings a Tough Lesson in Free Agency

All right all you smart cats, how the hell can that happen?
    Wasn't the deadline for the rfa tender offers March 4th, how would the Eagles tender Edwards past the deadline?
    It doesn't even make sense to me. I didn't read how this could happen but didn't I read before that the Vikings tendered Ray Edwards as a 1st rounder? Wouldn't that mean he already signed the offer? There was a deadline so I'm not sure how this would play out.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

this I'd say is a legit example of a media 'yutz' spewing crap he knows nothing about.

We have rights to Edwards, the way it sounds, is the eagles can tender him to a first and third to gain his rights, which simply isn't true. There's no way this is the first time this situation has ever happened, and I've never heard of a team losing a guy or losing their picks.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Marrdro wrote:
    vikinggreg wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    Reason number two: Edwards doesn’t have to sign his tender offer from the Vikings.

That’s right Minnesota, Mr. Edwards actually has leverage. Not the way this was supposed to go.

Whoops!

Thanks to everybody’s best friend (at least for most of us here at MSF) Vikings beat writer for the Star Tribune Judd Zulgad (@JuddZulgad), I learned of this nightmare situation. Basically it means that Edwards can ignore the Vikings offer and accept an offer from another team, such as Philadelphia.

If Philadelphia signs Edwards to a first and third round tender, that means in order for Minnesota to bring him back they would have to surrender their draft picks to Philadelphia. Not the way it should be.
    Ray Edwards Might Teach Vikings a Tough Lesson in Free Agency

All right all you smart cats, how the hell can that happen?
    Wasn't the deadline for the rfa tender offers March 4th, how would the Eagles tender Edwards past the deadline?
    You bring up a good point. One would think that if they could do it, they would have done it under the deadline.

Hmmmmmmm, the plot thickens. :huh:
    The Eagles cannot "tender" Edwards. He's not their RFA. Tenders are offered to RFAs by the team that owns their rights, in his case, the Vikings.

The Vikings offered the tender on Edwards before the deadline. I am NOT sure what happens if he chooses not to sign it. A couple of articles (on Nick Collins) indicate that he, then, is under no obligation to come to the off-season activities. But I haven't found anything that suggests another team can sign him.

Clearly, the author from MidwestSportsFans doesn't know what he's talking about since he writes about the Eagles offering Edwards a "first and third tender" which is just wrong. Only the team holding the restriction can offer a tender.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I would think this would fall under the same type of rules when a player decides he doesn't want to play for a team but that team has his rights (ala Barry Sanders). Wouldn't he have to retire and sit out for a season before playing for a nother team?

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    this I'd say is a legit example of a media 'yutz' spewing crap he knows nothing about.

We have rights to Edwards, the way it sounds, is the eagles can tender him to a first and third to gain his rights, which simply isn't true. There's no way this is the first time this situation has ever happened, and I've never heard of a team losing a guy or losing their picks.
    You are absolutely correct - the Eagles cannot "tender" Edwards. And I'm becoming more and more convinced that, unless he signs the tender, he can't sign an offer sheet with another team.

IF he signs the tender and IF the Eagles offer him a contract and IF the Vikings choose not to match, then the Vikings will receive the Eagles 1st-round pick in the 2010 draft as compensation (might be the 2011 draft).

=Z=

Florio doesn't totally answer the question, but there is this nugget:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/11/restricted-free-agency-101/

Anyone interested in a restricted free agent has the ability to talk to the player, to negotiate a contract with the player, and ultimately to sign him to an offer sheet. If he has been tendered at any level, his current team has seven days to decide whether to match. (If he has not been tendered, he can sign freely with his new team, as Ravens restricted free agent tackle Adam Terry might do with the Colts.)

The process does not last throughout the offseason; the period for signing restricted free agents to offer sheets ends eight days before the draft. This means that any picks that change hands must be tendered for the current year's draft.
    To me, that implies that he MUST sign the tender to sign an offer sheet.

=Z=

Blog Entries

If he has not been tendered, he can sign freely with his new team, as Ravens restricted free agent tackle Adam Terry might do with the Colts.

So i guess after the deadline or whatever, he's essentially an UFA.

i_bleed_purple wrote:
    If he has not been tendered, he can sign freely with his new team, as Ravens restricted free agent tackle Adam Terry might do with the Colts.

So i guess after the deadline or whatever, he's essentially an UFA.
    No! He was tendered by the Vikings. If he doesn't sign an offer with another team by the end of the restricted FA signing period (which ends 8 days before the draft) he cannot be signed by another team and either signs the tender and accepts the salary that goes with it or he sits at home, pouting and making nothing.

The only way he becomes a UFA now is if the Vikings withdraw the tender.

=Z=

Blog Entries

I realize that, I was talking about players who aren't tendered.

I know Ray has a first round tender on him, I get that part about it.

Are you talking about perhaps a situation where if the eagles chose to sign him to the offer sheet, the Vikes matched but Ray wants to be an eagle?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast