Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 131
  1. #1
    DrSwerve is offline Training Camp
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    44

    Drew Brees to Minnesota???

    Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but....

    Vikings, Other Teams Gearing Up

    By Scout.com

    Date: Feb 25, 2006

    There are a lot of rumors and information flowing here in Indianapolis. The Vikings are said to be gearing up interest in a high profile player who is soon to be a free agent, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Here’s what Scout.com is hearing this week:

    NFC

    Minnesota Vikings – If the team decides not to pick up the $6 million option for QB Daunte Culpepper, look for them to pursue San Diego Chargers QB Drew Brees, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent. The team feels he should be able to grasp the offense pretty quickly. There have been rumors of this before, but this is the first time a source with knowledge of the situation has confirmed this to Scout.com.

    http://vikings.scout.com/2/502744.html
    If ignorance was bliss...then your entire life would be a perpetual orgasm.

  2. #2
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,271

    Re: Drew Brees to Minnesota???

    Posted on Sun, Mar. 05, 2006

    [size=18px]Brees encounter[/size]

    BY CHARLEY WALTERS
    Pioneer Press


    If Zygi Wilf is as savvy as he seems to think he is about getting a new stadium built, the Vikings' owner will sign a couple of high-quality starters — maybe a notable quarterback — in the first week of free agency.

    With quarterback Daunte Culpepper, 29, seemingly on the way out, it will be intriguing to see whether the Vikings will pursue unrestricted free-agent quarterback Drew Brees, 27, who is recovering from arthroscopic shoulder surgery.

    The Vikings, $24 million under the salary cap, are familiar with Brees; new Vikings vice president for player personnel Fran Foley was director of pro scouting for the San Diego Chargers, for whom Brees played the past five seasons.

    Brees could cost the Vikings $10 million initially in guaranteed money, with a contract that could double if he proves to be healthy.

    ) If the Vikings release Culpepper, Miami would seem the most logical place for him to end up. If the Vikings try to trade him, it is still a good bet he would go to the highest bidder.

    ) Unrestricted free agent Chris Weinke, 33, the Carolina Panthers' backup quarterback who is home in St. Paul, still seems a logical signing for the Vikings, depending on their QB situation.

    ) It wouldn't be surprising if the Vikings go after New England Patriots free-agent kicker Adam Vinatieri, but that probably would cost them at least $2 million. Vinatieri, 33, played at South Dakota State and would seem nearly infallible kicking in the consistent conditions of the Metrodome.

    ) Latest word is that the Vikings would pursue the Indianapolis Colts' Edgerrin James, and not the Seattle Seahawks' Shaun Alexander, if they decide to sign a top free-agent running back.

    Brees encounter

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #3
    ultravikingfan's Avatar
    ultravikingfan is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    24,514

    Re: Drew Brees to Minnesota???

    "DrSwerve" wrote:
    Don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but....

    Vikings, Other Teams Gearing Up

    By Scout.com

    Date: Feb 25, 2006

    There are a lot of rumors and information flowing here in Indianapolis. The Vikings are said to be gearing up interest in a high profile player who is soon to be a free agent, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. Here’s what Scout.com is hearing this week:

    NFC

    Minnesota Vikings – If the team decides not to pick up the $6 million option for QB Daunte Culpepper, look for them to pursue San Diego Chargers QB Drew Brees, who is set to become an unrestricted free agent. The team feels he should be able to grasp the offense pretty quickly. There have been rumors of this before, but this is the first time a source with knowledge of the situation has confirmed this to Scout.com.

    http://vikings.scout.com/2/502744.html
    Feb. 25?

    Yes, it was posted.

  4. #4
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    8,618

    Re: Drew Brees to Minnesota???

    I would give an appendage to sign Vinatieri! (Ok, not THAT one) If Daunte ends up leaving I wouldn't gripe about the signing of Brees either. Someone else said this and I agree with them: He reminds me of a young Brad Johnson.

  5. #5
    CrazyVikingsFan is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    491

    Re: Drew Brees to Minnesota???

    BREES BLOWING INTO MINNY?



    Sid Hartman of The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports (sort of) that the Vikings are likely to make a run at Chargers quarterback Drew Brees, who'll hit the market at the start of free agency.



    Brees, per Hartman, has a great relationship with new Vikings personnel boss Fran Foley. Foley previously was the director of pro personnel in San Diego.



    The challenge for the Vikings, however, would be to work out a trade for current starter Daunte Culpepper before pursuing Brees. If other teams chase Brees when free agency opens at 12:01 a.m. on Monday, the Vikes will have to decide whether to jump into the fray without a deal in place for Daunte, even though it would be an implicit admission to the rest of the league that Minny isn't serious about keeping Culpepper -- meaning that he'd be cut before his $6 million roster bonus comes due in the middle of the month.



    But anyone interested in Brees should be damn sure that he's on track to be recovered in time to play this season. Recent reports indicated that his shoulder injury was more than a torn labrum, and that he also had a partially torn rotator cuff.

    Drew is great but i dont like the idea of getting rid of an injured quarterback for another one.

  6. #6
    mr.woo's Avatar
    mr.woo is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,213

    Re: Drew Brees to Minnesota???

    yeah but you can bet your bottom dollar that if they did brees would rehab in minnesota were he belongs.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

  7. #7
    2beersTommy's Avatar
    2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    2,765

    Re: Drew Brees to Minnesota???

    I sure hope they dont sign Weinke, Ive seen him play baseball before, and his football skills are not much better, save the money..

  8. #8
    VikesfaninWis's Avatar
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    5,055

    Re: Drew Brees to Minnesota???

    "K-Rob18" wrote:
    BREES BLOWING INTO MINNY?



    Sid Hartman of The Minneapolis Star Tribune reports (sort of) that the Vikings are likely to make a run at Chargers quarterback Drew Brees, who'll hit the market at the start of free agency.



    Brees, per Hartman, has a great relationship with new Vikings personnel boss Fran Foley. Foley previously was the director of pro personnel in San Diego.



    The challenge for the Vikings, however, would be to work out a trade for current starter Daunte Culpepper before pursuing Brees. If other teams chase Brees when free agency opens at 12:01 a.m. on Monday, the Vikes will have to decide whether to jump into the fray without a deal in place for Daunte, even though it would be an implicit admission to the rest of the league that Minny isn't serious about keeping Culpepper -- meaning that he'd be cut before his $6 million roster bonus comes due in the middle of the month.



    But anyone interested in Brees should be gol 'darnit sure that he's on track to be recovered in time to play this season. Recent reports indicated that his shoulder injury was more than a torn labrum, and that he also had a partially torn rotator cuff.

    Drew is great but i dont like the idea of getting rid of an injured quarterback for another one.


    Sid is off his perch. The Vikes wouldn't have to find a trade partner for Pepp before they would to go after Brees. If they signed Brees, Pepp would be cut soon after. They aren't going to get much for Pepp to begin with. Sid also points out that he doesn't like the fact of getting rid of one injured QB for another one. I would personally take my chances on Brees versus Pepp. Drew Brees's injury isn't even in the same category as pepp's. Pepp is a running QB, it would be alot harder for him to come back after tearing 3 of the 4 major ligaments in his knee than it would for Brees to come back with his arm injury.

    With that said, I love Pepp just as much as anyone else on this site. The fact of the matter is, he had a terrible year last season, and on top of that he had a significant injury. We all know once a football player is considered " damaged goods" he is history soon after no matter what type of player he is. I know it will be a sad day when Pepp is no longer a Viking, so we better brace ourselves because that day is coming soon. IMO

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    915

    Re: Drew Brees to Minnesota???

    "mr.woo" wrote:
    yeah but you can bet your bottom dollar that if they did brees would rehab in minnesota were he belongs.
    Hmm seems to be a bit warmer in FL, warmer weather is better for rehab. I think Torri Hunter went to texas after he was out for the year and no one seemed to care about that. I would rather have pep stay in one place then get on and off a plane to make a few fans happy. Also brees has an injured shoulder, not knee. I could run if I had to with a bum shoulder but not a bum knee. If is that big of a deal send a coach down to FL or there is this thing called e-mail, you can send a bunch of things without having to pay for postage. Yes even videos. Pep is the future, he's a great QB that the majority of fans across the counrty would love to have, except for the few idiotic fans who happen to be vikings fans(probably bandwagon fans). Hate to bust the bubble, pep had are only come from behind win this year, brad lost to good teams. Are defence helped beat terrible teams. If you hate pep, too bad get used to the fact he'll be here for a long time, if you don't like it date your sister and put on a packers jersey.
    You republican whore!

  10. #10
    JDante's Avatar
    JDante is offline Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    99

    Re: Drew Brees to Minnesota???

    "ltrey33" wrote:
    I would give an appendage to sign Vinatieri! (Ok, not THAT one) If Daunte ends up leaving I wouldn't gripe about the signing of Brees either. Someone else said this and I agree with them: He reminds me of a young Brad Johnson.
    Yea having Drew Brees could actually do alot for the team. I can kinda feel the VIkings going in a new direction, from the old smashmouth run and gun not really smart but pretty fast, pretty strong to...
    A more intelligent, fast quick efficient team. By saying Brees reminds you of a young Brad Johnson its just that they throw that same Short Yardage game. Nothin real fancy like Culpepper just complete the pass get 6,7 yards and work toward a touchdown. Only difference is Drew Brees has a much more powerful arm. And hes more accurate. He actually makes Brad Johnson LOOK like a backup, whereas judging from Brad Johnson/Daunte Culpeppers performance last year, it makes BJ look like a starter and Culpepper look like a scrub.

    And plus if we do get him then that would also be better for the recievers. If Drew Brees goes down as a starter, the team wouldnt really have to get used to a new style of play. The playbook could be the same they can run the same routes they wont have to switch it up like they did with Pep. Drew Brees will basically throw the same way Brad Johnson does, he has healthy young legs, (im not sayin hes a scrambler but he can run it for like 3 and a half yards)

    And Drew Brees is more ACCURATE than Culpepper to. Without Randy Moss Daunte Culpeppers job is very very difficult. Jermaine Wiggins the TE was usually the go to guy. He just gets open the way all recieving Tight Ends get open, and then some. But with Drew Brees being wide open becoms less of a factor because of his acccuracy. He can toy with the defense and read the coverage and find the open man. Culpepper basically throws it up somewhere in the vicinity of the open guy. Maybe hell come up wit it, maybe he wont.

    Dam...
    Now that i tihnk about it i cant think of a reason why Daunte would be a better fit than Brees. Drew Brees actually fits Better into our new WCO style of play than Culpepper does. Brees is good from basically any formation, Daunte Culpepper is more of a Shotgun quarterback.

    In the process of typin this article i completely changed my opinions on our Quarterback situation. Weird...
    Well now im saying screw Pep send him to Oakland or somethin and put Brees in purple. Yeah, sounds like a plan.
    Yea.

Page 1 of 14 123 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Drew Brees Asks Mom To Remove Him From Campaign Ads
    By Prophet in forum The Clubhouse
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 05:46 PM
  2. Just Say No to Drew Brees
    By GreenBaySlackers in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 03-10-2006, 06:11 AM
  3. QB Drew Brees has dislocated shoulder, may need surgery!!
    By Jordan in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 11:53 PM
  4. Drew Brees' Future
    By SharperVikings in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 05:53 AM
  5. Drew Brees a one year wonder?
    By Ltrey33 in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-29-2005, 01:06 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •