Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drafting an OL

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Drafting an OL

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091078
    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1091051
    only problem is finding a dance partner to trade down with.
    I ran a few mocks on the first round, so far, no one seems to drop to us that screams for a team to move up and get him ahead of us or someone else.

From my vantage point, this sure seems to be one of the most mediocre drafts in along time.

Not saying their isn't talent, I'm just saying that with a few exceptions, all the players seem to be about the same with the same kindof (quality) player that is in the first can be found in the 2nd and 3rd.

In the end, I just don't see anyone using multiple picks to get any of these guys especially with the uncertainty of the CBA and the extra importance on picks this year.
    Does Prince drop to us in any of your mocks?

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091080
    I ran a few mocks on the first round, so far, no one seems to drop to us that screams for a team to move up and get him ahead of us or someone else.

From my vantage point, this sure seems to be one of the most mediocre drafts in along time.

Not saying their isn't talent, I'm just saying that with a few exceptions, all the players seem to be about the same with the same kindof (quality) player that is in the first can be found in the 2nd and 3rd.

In the end, I just don't see anyone using multiple picks to get any of these guys especially with the uncertainty of the CBA and the extra importance on picks this year.
    Not sure what is happening my friend but we have to stop agreeing like this.

I will now insert the obligatory woo hoo's:
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    LOL, just a reminder. As long as there are good discussions going on, I will participate.

If there aren't any, I will do just about anything (that means type anything) to get one going even if it means we have to get into a "Right/Wrong" debate instead of having a fun discussion.

I think the change, the last couple of days, is there are some really good discussions going on were no one is trying to prove someone else right or wrong.

Like minded people tend to gravitate to those and have a good time discussing the topics at hand.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1091077
    I believe that unless the front end of the draft leaves us with no other option we will be taking something other than an OL with that pick. The class just doesn't seem to have a bunch of elite OL but a bunch of second tier talent that we can get in later rounds and FA and UDFA
    Agree.

From the mocks I've worked up, we seem to have the pick of any of the OLmen, most of the QB's, the top S and LB, possibly the 3rd ranked WR, a small chance to get one of the top CB's and because of the depth, we will probably be looking at 2 or 3 really good DE's.

Sounds confusing, no matter how I type it, but we will have some pretty good talent at 12. What will drive that pick, I think, is what does Spielman think will be available in the second round.

Does he like a QB and think he can get him in the second or does he grab one at 12 and then gambles that he can get a Paea in the second kindof scenario.

Really hard to tell, mostly cause I haven't done a mock which includes the 2nd round, however, logic would dictate that the teams that need QB's will address them early in the second, which will leave the cupboard bare.

With no 3rd round pick to address QB, that will leave us with a 4th round prospect.

Again, sounds confusing when I type it even though it makes sense in my head. I think what I need to do is to get a 3 round mock done. Should help.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "MaxVike" #1091082

Does Prince drop to us in any of your mocks?
    To answer your question, yes but some funky stuff happens ahead of us with QB's.

For it to happen Carolina has to take Cam/Gabbert, Bills to take the other one that Carolina doesn't take and then either the 49rs or Cards reach for Mallet(or Locker) ahead of us.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

I don't wanna go OL with the 12th overall.. Unless we trade away McKinnie, but i honestly don't see a market for him that would give us the value we want..

I feel we have more pressing needs at QB, DL and in the secondary.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Thats the thing with where we pick, our two biggest needs IMHO are interior OL and QB. Both of which look to hold better value late in the first or early in 2nd. Trading back for an extra 2nd and/or 3rd would be sweet, but kinda unlikely.

The way I'm seeing it, expected top ten picks at the moment...

Peterson and Prince at CB
    Dareus and Fairley at DT
    Newton and Gabbert at QB
    Julio and AJ at WR
    Von Miller at LB
    And Bowers and Quinn at DE

Well, thats 11. 11 players that are very likely gone by our pick. If any one of those guys fall, we should probably pounce, but if they're all gone, do we go next best DT, DE, or QB? Pick an OL a lil early?

Or try and trade back and collect something to replace and hopefully upgrade our missing 3rd?

Is Mr. Record-Setting-Benchpress, DT from Oregon worth the 12th? Or, Wilkerson or Legit? BPA at no.12 could be up for considerable debate!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

FuadFan is offline Hall of Famer

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5104

- Where will Tyron Smith/OT/USC end up in the draft? It looks more and more like he wonít get out of the top twenty picks. Sources have told us the Minnesota Vikings are seriously considering the athletic tackle with the 12th selection if they canít come away with a quarterback. The other team that ranks Smith high on their board are the New York Giants.

Believe it or trade down opportunity?
    Minnesota Vikings : Simply the best

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "FuadFan" #1091932

- Where will Tyron Smith/OT/USC end up in the draft? It looks more and more like he wonít get out of the top twenty picks. Sources have told us the Minnesota Vikings are seriously considering the athletic tackle with the 12th selection if they canít come away with a quarterback. The other team that ranks Smith high on their board are the New York Giants.

I don't think tackle is a first round need..

He is a top prospect for a zone blocking scheme that we run, but he doesnt have versatility given that he has no history of playing guard or center.. I really think unless you are getting rid of Bryant McKinnie, this would be a mistake..

I like him as a player, just not in our situation..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1091936
    Quote Originally Posted by "FuadFan" #1091932

I don't think tackle is a first round need..

He is a top prospect for a zone blocking scheme that we run, but he doesnt have versatility given that he has no history of playing guard or center.. I really think unless you are getting rid of Bryant McKinnie, this would be a mistake..

I like him as a player, just not in our situation..
    I don't really know much about you (skum) but you seem to have a lot of insider knowledge, or at least post like you do. What is the market for McKinnie and what would we want for him? I would be happy getting a 2nd for him considering he's way over rated, but are there teams that would want him for around our asking price, whatever that is.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Brewtal is offline Starter

Missed this post untill someone qued it up.

I am all for an OL at 12. I was on the Solder bandwagan for a while, not sure if I am or not now. I do know I'm for the best OL on the board. Unless one a top tallent falls to us in another postion. Don't like any of the QB, so I would be more than happy with the top OL.

Can start filling in for MK and be GD untill than. Or may even be better than MK. Wow protect the Qb, good start Vikings.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast