Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drafting an OL

Drafting an OL

If I had my druthers we would take a DT with our #12 pick to replace Pat, or move back a couple spots to get another pick. From there I would like to see us go QB in round 2 as I feel Mallet, Dalton, and Capernick will still be there. But its a crapshoot!

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Drafting an OL

If we don't absolutely love any of the QBs I would be fine with us taking either the best DL or Julio Jones/AJ Green.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Drafting an OL

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1091012
    So none of you guys are down with using our first pick on OL?
    I'm with ya 12. high 1st round picks should be used to build the lines. when that is done, use them elsewhere
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Drafting an OL

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091028
    I'm not.

for an interior Lineman, I think #12 is a reach for them. I'd much rather take somebody else.

I do NOT want to go OT.

Like it or not, McKinnie was the best OL on our team last season. I'm not sure what Load's problem was, but hopefully he picks it up again. OT is not a need. Now, as for picking the BPA, i'm all for that, but we are a rebuilding team, we need more than just a new LT. We draft a T who likely won't play as well as McK right away, then we trade? McK, likely for a second rounder? we've wasted our pick just swapping tackles. I'd much rather use that pick for ANY other position(except RB).
    I am not as unhappy with Mc as most here, but if he is our BEST olineman, we are in dire need of oline help
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Drafting an OL

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1090996
    I agree that Loadhold could get better. It was only his 2nd year. McKinnie is better than average and still under contract...likely, for a reasonable figure, since his signing bonus was so long ago. He made about 3 mill last year.

To me the interior is where we need depth that can push for playing time. I know Sully is young too, but he just doesn't seem to be holding up at C. Hutch is getting up there in age and its starting to show, and Herrera blew a knee and may or may not be ready to play when the season starts. A guy who can challenge for a starting spot at C and RG would add great depth to a team that wants to be able to dominate the LOS and Run The Ball! And, most teams only dress 6 or 7 OL on gameday, so a multi backup is always nice to have.

Really, I wouldn't mind seeing what Cook can do at C. He's definitely got size, and experience at guard and tackle, so a valuable gameday backup at least. With his history of penalties, he shouldn't be that expensive to resign.

A late first, or early 2nd could get some real, top end talent at C/OG.
    sounds like you are describing Pouncey. projected in latter part of 1st round. likely drafted as a center. played guard in college. only problem is finding a dance partner to trade down with. I would prefer to stay at 12, but I don't know if any available olinemen are 12th pick quality

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Drafting an OL

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1091050
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1091028
    I'm not.

for an interior Lineman, I think #12 is a reach for them. I'd much rather take somebody else.

I do NOT want to go OT.

Like it or not, McKinnie was the best OL on our team last season. I'm not sure what Load's problem was, but hopefully he picks it up again. OT is not a need. Now, as for picking the BPA, i'm all for that, but we are a rebuilding team, we need more than just a new LT. We draft a T who likely won't play as well as McK right away, then we trade? McK, likely for a second rounder? we've wasted our pick just swapping tackles. I'd much rather use that pick for ANY other position(except RB).
    I am not as unhappy with Mc as most here, but if he is our BEST olineman, we are in dire need of oline help
    Yes, but remember a few things. Hutch and herrera have both played the past two years hurt. Hutch finally got some games off to heal. Sully imo is our weak point, he needs to improve. Load took a huge step backwards last year, but he showed glimpses of ehat hes capable of. I think for ol, C then G shoukd be our primary concern. T is the least of our worries atm

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Drafting an OL

Based on the current value charts, taking a OL at 12 is a reach.

Player Rankings

Player Rankings

Solder, most boards top T, got handled at the Senior Bowl and continues to slip steadily down most boards.

Costonzo has issues related to how high he plays. Seems he will struggle against smaller/faster DE's.

Smith, like Solder, was initially considered a top 10 pick, now they have him ranked in the high teens.

Pouncey, initially the top C (think that was mostly related to his brothers rep) has slipped a bunch and has been replaced by a cat named Wisniewski as the top C and he is rated at the bottom of the first round.

So, to answer your question, I wouldn't take one. None of them appear to be better than what we already have at this point, unless you think that we should reach for one of the Centers.

Because of the scheme change (blocking) I think the staff might consider it if they believe (as most of us) that Sully or Coop aren't big enough to be anything other than a ZBing Center.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I believe that unless the front end of the draft leaves us with no other option we will be taking something other than an OL with that pick. The class just doesn't seem to have a bunch of elite OL but a bunch of second tier talent that we can get in later rounds and FA and UDFA

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1091051
    only problem is finding a dance partner to trade down with.
    I ran a few mocks on the first round, so far, no one seems to drop to us that screams for a team to move up and get him ahead of us or someone else.

From my vantage point, this sure seems to be one of the most mediocre drafts in along time.

Not saying their isn't talent, I'm just saying that with a few exceptions, all the players seem to be about the same with the same kindof (quality) player that is in the first can be found in the 2nd and 3rd.

In the end, I just don't see anyone using multiple picks to get any of these guys especially with the uncertainty of the CBA and the extra importance on picks this year.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1091078
    Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1091051
    only problem is finding a dance partner to trade down with.
    I ran a few mocks on the first round, so far, no one seems to drop to us that screams for a team to move up and get him ahead of us or someone else.

From my vantage point, this sure seems to be one of the most mediocre drafts in along time.

Not saying their isn't talent, I'm just saying that with a few exceptions, all the players seem to be about the same with the same kindof (quality) player that is in the first can be found in the 2nd and 3rd.

In the end, I just don't see anyone using multiple picks to get any of these guys especially with the uncertainty of the CBA and the extra importance on picks this year.
    Not sure what is happening my friend but we have to stop agreeing like this.

I will now insert the obligatory woo hoo's:
    :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast