Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Draftable QB's: After the Big Three, it's a crapshoot

D.J Shockley is pretty damn good as well too..

Whitehurst should be alright.. Don't know about starter.. I wouldn't want him anyway but there is still some talent in this draft

DarrinNelsonguy is offline Team Alumni

The title of this thread is a misnomer (sp) because the whole draft is a crap shoot.

That is why GMs and scouts are well paid and you have to put stock in their ability to do their jobs.

That being said Gradkowski from Toledo is also a good mid round option at QB and has a stronger arm than Croyle.
    "Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn t work hard."

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

Dis is da make on Omar. BTW, in case youse mugs didn't know, Omar is rated over 10 points higher than Jay Cutler, 90 - 79. Tink about dat...
    ================================================
    Omar Jacobs
    QB | (6'3", 224) | BOWLING GREEN

Scouts Grade: 90

Strengths: Possesses ideal NFL measurables. He has great size. Is tall, well-built, long arms and big hands. He has good arm strength. He shows good touch and the ability to change velocities. He throws catchable passes underneath and has a feel for leading his receivers. Extremely accurate in short-to-intermediate range. Lacks vertical passing experience but has the arm to make all the NFL throws. Can drive the ball downfield. Shows good zip on the deep out route and gets adequate R.P.M.'s on his downfield throws. He's an excellent athlete. Has quick feet and can get set quickly. Shows a good pocket presence and buys a lot of second-chance opportunities with his athleticism. He is a threat to take off and run. Has above average speed and some elusiveness to make defenders miss in space. A confident player that will bounce back from mistakes.

Weaknesses: Displays mechanical issues. Is unpolished. Does not possess great experience throwing the deep ball and his timing must improve in that area. Lacks ideal patience in the pocket at times and will take off running too early. Plays in a simplified offense with a simplified passing scheme. Most of his throws are underneath. He will have a steeper learning curve in terms of making reads and seeing the entire field as an NFL quarterback.

Overall: Played sparingly as a backup to Josh Harris (Browns) in 2003. Took over as a fulltime starter as a sophomore in 2004, when he threw for 4,002 yards and rushed for 300 more. He completed 66.9-percent of his 462 passing attempts and threw 46 TD passes compared to just four INT's on the season. Jacobs is a junior in 2005 and has not indicated what his intentions are regarding his NFL future. Jacobs has all the physical tools to develop into a starting quarterback at the NFL level. He has great size, as well as good arm strength and mobility. He is an accurate short-to-intermediate passer and has developed into a solid decision-maker. Jacobs will, however, need a lot of work in order to polish his game for the next level. His release point is too low and his consistency as a deep-ball passer needs to improve. He also comes from a pass-friendly, shotgun-oriented offensive scheme, which means he could require more developmental time than other quarterback prospects with similar skill sets. As it stands right now, Jacobs is considered a potential first round prospect should he choose to enter the 2006 draft.
    And dis is from Football's Future website:
    In his first year as a starter, Omar Jacobs had one of the greatest years of any quarterback in college football history. He completed 66.9% of his passes for 4,002 yards, and 41 touchdowns. The most impressive stat though, was that he only threw 4 interceptions on 462 passes. The 41 touchdowns led the nation, and was also a MAC record. The 41/4 TD/INT ratio is the best ever in Division 1A. He’s not just a pure pocket passer either. Jacobs managed to rush for 300 yards and 4 more scores. He racked up quite a few post season awards for his awesome sophomore season. Omar was named to various All-American lists, was voted MVP of the GMAC Bowl, and was named MAC offensive player of the year. He was a marked man this year, and defenses came up with better ways to defend his talent. He still had a very good season, finishing with 2,591 yards and 26 touchdowns to just seven interceptions, while completing 60.7% of his passes.

Jacobs is the complete package at quarterback. He’s tall, strong, and athletic. He has a very good arm, and can easily make all the throws. His mobility is very impressive too. When things break down, he can leave the pocket and throw on the run, or tuck it and make something happen with his feet. He has displayed poise in the pocket, though at times he has left the pocket a little early.

There really aren’t too many flaws in Jacobs’ game. The biggest is his throwing mechanics, specifically his release point. Jacobs releases the ball at about shoulder height. He doesn’t get the ball up high enough. He negates his height advantage by throwing the ball that low, and it will result in tipped passes in the NFL. The only other issue would possibly be his experience, as he's a redshirt junior, and this is only his second season as a starter.

Omar Jacobs is the latest in the line of MAC QB’s to develop into legitimate NFL prospects. He will need some coaching in the NFL to fix his mechanics, but other than that, he has everything needed to be a star at the next level. He has all the talent to develop. He should have stayed in school to work on his mechanics and further develop, but he is in the draft. There are some talented signal callers ahead of him, but Jacobs has the talent to really develop at the next level. He could still hear his name called on the first day of the draft.
    If we dump Culp, an' I'm not sure we should just yet, I tink dis Jacobs mug would be a good draft pickup to develop into a starter behind Johnson, y'know? What do youse mugs tink?
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

I'm mixed about drafting a QB, especially in early rounds (regardless of how the Daunte situation pans out). I agree that QB's are hit and miss and hard to predict how they will do at the next level. I also think their success hinges greatly on how they get coached and the system/players that they get put into. Look at Ben Roethlisberger, far from impressive stats, but he's a SuperBowl winner. Great supporting cast helps build confidence which translates into good decisions and improved performance and just made an NFL career for him. A lot of more talented QB's fail because they are not put in the right situations and never get a chance to develop.

To me, its more of a Childress philosophy thing, does he want (and does he have the ability) to develop QB talent (ala Jon Gruden) or does he want to go with a proven winner at this position (ala Bill Parcells). A lot of it will probably be determined by how solid of a supporting cast he puts in place.

Patrick Ramsey and David Carr are good examples of guys with great talent that were put into losing situations. Are they now damaged goods with a lack of self esteem, or can they turn things around and get into a winning situation?

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

OldManVike:
    As I had stated on another post, I really like this Omar Jacobs. He's got a lot to learn but if he can work behind Brad for a year I think he has a great future. He's big and strong and adds the deminsion of being a good runner.
    Your thread says:
    "Extremely accurate in short-to-intermediate range."
    And isn't that what the West Coast offense is all about? The other thing I like is it says he had BIG HANDS! That should equal less fumbled.
    I would love to see him in purple.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

I would put the big three right in with the rest of the crapshoot bunch.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

There is only 1 QB (IMO) that is not a crapshoot.

Hint: He played for USC.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Ultra:
    You are 100% correct. EVERYONE in the draft is a crap-shoot but you'd never know it by listening to the "know-it-all" press.
    Then when the pro-draft comes someone the press hasn't talked up the team that drafted him is stupid. And I could do 30 pages of posts on the draft picks the fans have hated because they were't hyped and proved to be outstanding players.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Here is how I look at it.

I think there are around 10 draftees each year that will make an impact for a team. They are spread all around throughout the draft.

Look at all the QB's a few years ago? They sucked! Leaf, Smith, and Tim "the turd" Coach. You cannot predict crap. Maybe Lineart will be crap...I doubt it.

I see the same thing here as I do on TV. STATS, STATS, STATS! They mean nothing, they are a measurement of what the guy did on at a certain period in time. The problem is, the do not factor all the other things. See, I am a math and physics guy...so I look at things with those eyes way too much. Ok, so a QB tosses 5 TD's in a game. All of the sudden the guy should win the MVP award based on that performance. No. You are not considering every little piece of the puzzle that goes into that TD. Thats why I love football so much because it is 100% dependant on the rest of your team.

Oh sure, you here that Vick had to just run the ball to win the game for the Falcons. Not true. Why? What if his line just stood up and let everybody through? He wouldn't get very far at all. Do those Offensive lineman get a positive stat for blocking so a QB can toss his 5 TD passes? Nope. What about a block at the line that 98% of us do not even notice ofr how a lineman works his feet. Is there a stat for that? Nope.

All I am saying is that stats are useless. Many coaches put a lot more emphasis on reveiwing tapes of players to see how they reacted to a certain situation. I too get caught up in stats myself.

So, Vince Young can take all his stats and trophies and pitch em. Besides, he probably needs to do a little more studying.

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    There is only 1 QB (IMO) that is not a crapshoot.

Hint: He played for USC.
    Matt Cassel?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast