Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Draftable QB's: After the Big Three, it's a crapshoot

OK, so you know about Matt Leinart, Vince Young and, by now, Jay Cutler.

How about the other quarterbacks in the 2006 NFL draft? It depends upon who you ask.

Perhaps the most intriguing prospect is Bowling Green's Omar Jacobs, who has good size (6-4, 225), a strong arm and ran a 4.55 40 at the NFL Combine. As always with MAC QB's, some observers denigrate the caliber of his opposition, but Jacobs silenced most of those critics by throwing for 485 yards and five touchdowns against Wisconsin. He does own a somewhat-funky delivery that has QB coaches itching to tinker with it.

Oh, and two more words for those who like to dis the MAC: Ben Roethlisberger.

Bruce Gradkowski of Toledo is another MAC prospect. Lightly recruited out of high school, he has already proven himself once, setting career passing records as a Rocket. In his final college game, the GMAC Bowl, he tossed five touchdown passes against UTEP.

"The system I played in college was high-percentage decision-making," Gradkowski told the Pittsburgh Press-Gazette, "and we didn't throw the ball downfield all that much, but that doesn't mean I don't have the arm to do it."

Brodie Croyle of Alabama is almost a clone of Joe Namath -- complete with quick release, bazooka arm and, unfortunately, bad knees (torn ACL's in both of them during his career). Durability is the question here.

At least one draft observer, NFL safety Corey Chavous, sees Reggie McNeal as the best prospect of the bunch -- and that includes the Big Three. For one thing, McNeal ran a 4.35 at the Combine, and his arm is above average. The question is whether he'll turn into Michael Vick or Antwaan Randle El in the NFL, because the Texas A&M senior is also given high marks as a wide receiver.

Marcus Vick might be in the same boat, if he can stay out of jail. One scout said of him "He has character issues that make Maurice Clarett look like Walter Payton."

Well, yes -- there was the matter of contributing to the delinquency of a minor, not to mention reckless driving, pot possession, allegedly brandishing a firearm, giving a one-finger salute to West Virginia fans and stomping on the outstretched leg of Louisville DE Elvis Dumervil during the Gator Bowl. Other than that, Vick's career at Tech was impeccable.

The thing is that he's rated as a better and more accurate passer than big brother Mike, and he's just as fast. What Marcus lacked in college was Mike's panache and confidence -- Marcus seemed intimidated and frustrated in big games last season against Miami and Florida State. As a sophomore, however (before he was kicked off the Hokie team the first time), Vick burned Cal for three long receptions and a touchdown in a bowl game.

The prospect pool also gives us a Drew Brees-type (Brett Basanez of Northwestern, who is somewhat undersized and underarmed, but very productive) and a couple of prototype pocket-passers (Charlie Whitehurst of Clemson and Erik Meyer of Eastern Washington).

If you want a dark horse, Brett Elliott of NAIA Linfield put up huge numbers but wasn't invited to the Combine. And Barrick Nealey of Texas State was among the more athletic quarterbacks at the combine.

Besides the teams with obvious quarterback needs, a lot of others will be sifting through these also-rans for a possible low-cost backup.

Draftable QB's: After the Big Three, it's a crapshoot

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

mr.woo is offline Team Alumni

Re: Draftable QB's: After the Big Three, it's a crapshoot

i like bradsmith as a possible 2nd-3rd string qb who plays widereciver in a type of antwan randel el role.
    woo out
    just two corn cobs shy of a bushel

tarkenton10 is offline Star Spokesman

I have said in other posts that we should trade DC and package draft choices to get Reggie! We then use our second round pick to get ....................BRODIE CROYLE.

He will be a good QB in the NFL!

There s only two things stopping you - fear and common sense!! The Truth you CAN"T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!!!!!!

KJ
    KJ is offline Pro-Bowler

I like Omar Jacobs. I think he'll end up being a very good NFL QB. I really don't see much of a difference between him and Vince Young, except that Young played in the Big 12. Both are big, fast, athletic guys that have funky mechanics. Vince has all the hype going for him though. Not saying he doesn't deserve the hype, because the way he played in the Rose Bowl was incredible, but I don't think he's that much better than Jacobs.

And people only worrying about the top 3 will be surprised in a few years when guys like Croyle, Whitehust, Jacobs, and others could potentially be starting. It's almost guaranteed that at least one of those top 3 will not make it, and at least one of the forgotten QBs taken after the first round will make it and become at least a decent starter.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Draft omar jacobs in the 2nd to back up brad. That would work well i think.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Oh, and ANOTHER two more words for those who like to dis the MAC: Charlie Frye (who will probably end up starting for the Browns at some point next season).
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I'd argue that drafting a QB is a crapshoot no matter where you plan to take one.

Look at 1999: 3 of the "Big 5" were busts, including the #1 overall pick. Then a year later in Round 6 the Patriots bag the best QB out of everyone, and Chad Pennington went #18 overall!

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Brodie Croyle

Omar Jacobs

Both should be pretty good in the NFL IMO..

There will be some sleepers too.. Not a crapshoot for QB's man!

"tarkenton10" wrote:
    I have said in other posts that we should trade DC and package draft choices to get Reggie! We then use our second round pick to get ....................BRODIE CROYLE.

He will be a good QB in the NFL!

Hell No!

Brodie sucks!

Navycoach is offline Starter

If you're going to come on and say Brodie sucks, please give some insight as to WHY he sucks. Thank you, drive through

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast