Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The draft vs. free agents

Everybody's making solid points here. I personally think the 1st priority is a RB that has to be respected by defenses. OL can come in middle rounds of the draft. Hopefully Birk will come back and help improve the OL.

The QB situation is the beast here. I really don't think it can be worse. The only good thing is there is a decent backup in Johnson. I would really like to see us push a trade to get Gerard or Shaub. I really like Gerard.

I think the defense is pretty solid although it wouldn't hurt to have depth. Resigning people like B-Will is big (I didn't think that last year). He's really changed my mind.

ChezPizmo is offline Coordinator

"gregair13" wrote:
    its all about having a good mix of youth and veterans.
    For sure. We all say how well Brad kept that offense in calm and going. Veterans are very important.
    [size=11pt]"The only thing better than food & football is maybe Brett Favre."

[size=8pt]

-John Madden on Thanksgiving while on "Mike & Mike In The Morning"

Wiggles67 is offline Coordinator

The potential for rookies definately is greater but so if the chance of failure. The advantages of FA is that you pretty much know what you are getting with someone. Sure you can find a diamond in the rough occasionally but for the most part these are proven players.

It is very had to fill starting spots through the draft. I look to the draft as a way to get 2nd and 3rd string players that will be replacing current starters over the next 2 or 3 years. This gives the rookies a chance to learn how the NFL and the playbook works before being thrown into the deep end.

"I choose my company by the beating of their hearts, not the swelling of their heads"

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

If at all possible, you need to address the weakest areas of your team through FA. Only if you have no other choice, should you go to the draft looking for that instant success and looking for that guy to fix a weak area. The vikes have the money to spend on good FA's this offseason and there are some good ones at our 2 weakest positions, O-Line and LB, so I would be shocked if we didn't address those 2 positions in FA, rather then in the draft.

While we need a RB, I wouldn't label the RB position as a weak area of the team, thus I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a FA RB. Sure, we could use a good feature RB, but we have weaker areas on our team. If we fix the O-line, we should be fine to stick with what we have at RB and possibly look to the draft for a RB, like a maroney or white.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

THis team is in a great state for the long run. ALot of talented youth that will continue to grow under CHildress.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    THis team is in a great state for the long run. ALot of talented youth that will continue to grow under CHildress.

Yes, I think we now finally have the coaches capable of developing these young kids. That IMO has been lacking for a long time here.

"muchluv4smoot" wrote:
    "WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:

Yes, I think we now finally have the coaches capable of developing these young kids. That IMO has been lacking for a long time here.
    IMO same!

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

I think muchluv said it right, developing players is important. Look at teams like Pittsburg, all those guys running around on offense and defense are all brang in through the draft, they draft those guys cause they have talent and they fit the scheme. Then they develop there players, wether they are 1st rounders or 4th rounders, thats why the steelers are always in the hunt. Someone leaves Via FA, who cares one of there draft pics steps in and fills the position.

Prophet Guest

Signing a later round draft choice and developing them is the most cost effective way to get a team together during the cap days of the NFL. I would rather go that route if I had to choose. Since I won't play by the rules set in the thread I would also prioritize the holes in the team and see if it's worth the coinage to sign a veteran to fill a gap...is the opportunity cost worth it...if so, sign away.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12